Telekinesis errata

TorgHacker

Re: Telekinesis errata

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:01 pm

agarrett wrote:
As TorgHacker said it's GM's call, I'm not actually disagreeing with her, but I'd make a slightly different call on the second question (if you grappled, can you pull them down). I'd say no.

First off, unless you restrain them, at a good success or better on the grapple, there's no limitations on their movement anyway, so no reason to give you control of pulling them down. But then, if you do restrain them, you get to hold them in place, they're flat footed to all attacks, and the only action they can take on their turn is to attempt to break free. It does not give you control over their movement, and I wouldn't add that since it opens up a big can of worms. TK only lets you do things you can normally, just at a distance - that's the whole point of this errata, and I wouldn't add movement control to restraint as an exception - keeping in mind I also don't allow you to move someone you've restrained in a normal grapple.

That's a good point.

Can I mention how much I just want to take a bunch of dynamite and blow telekinesis up and do it over again? :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 pm

We should have rules for being able to move someone who is restrained. Otherwise, your 90 pound kidnap victim might be grabbed by the burly 300 pound muscled thug who is now stuck because he can’t go anywhere. Maybe an opposed Strength check initiated by the grappler on their turn, success level determines how quickly they can move... Normal half movement, Good is full movement, Outstanding lets you move at a brisk jog for double movement. (No full sprint though.)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:31 pm

Atama wrote:We should have rules for being able to move someone who is restrained. Otherwise, your 90 pound kidnap victim might be grabbed by the burly 300 pound muscled thug who is now stuck because he can’t go anywhere. Maybe an opposed Strength check initiated by the grappler on their turn, success level determines how quickly they can move... Normal half movement, Good is full movement, Outstanding lets you move at a brisk jog for double movement. (No full sprint though.)

"I hate grappling rules." - Every RPG designer. EVER.

:lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:34 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Can I mention how much I just want to take a bunch of dynamite and blow telekinesis up and do it over again? :lol:

If you ever do, consider me to be your dynamite... :mrgreen:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

bchoinski

Postby bchoinski » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:05 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
agarrett wrote:
As TorgHacker said it's GM's call, I'm not actually disagreeing with her, but I'd make a slightly different call on the second question (if you grappled, can you pull them down). I'd say no.

First off, unless you restrain them, at a good success or better on the grapple, there's no limitations on their movement anyway, so no reason to give you control of pulling them down. But then, if you do restrain them, you get to hold them in place, they're flat footed to all attacks, and the only action they can take on their turn is to attempt to break free. It does not give you control over their movement, and I wouldn't add that since it opens up a big can of worms. TK only lets you do things you can normally, just at a distance - that's the whole point of this errata, and I wouldn't add movement control to restraint as an exception - keeping in mind I also don't allow you to move someone you've restrained in a normal grapple.

That's a good point.

Can I mention how much I just want to take a bunch of dynamite and blow telekinesis up and do it over again? :lol:

That's what PDF reprints are for. :)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Dead serious question:

Would you consider releasing a TK fix in two parts? First, an errata to nerf it as needs nerfing without changing anything fundamental. But also a completely overhauled version (different axiom level, rules, whatever it needs) for those of us who wouldn't even blink at making that change? (The latter could just be a FAQ entry: "For those concerned about TK's game balance, this optional variant addresses that . . .")
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:57 pm

pkitty wrote:Dead serious question:

Would you consider releasing a TK fix in two parts? First, an errata to nerf it as needs nerfing without changing anything fundamental. But also a completely overhauled version (different axiom level, rules, whatever it needs) for those of us who wouldn't even blink at making that change? (The latter could just be a FAQ entry: "For those concerned about TK's game balance, this optional variant addresses that . . .")

TBH that's beyond my paygrade. We've got it in errata right now, but if I had my druthers we'd re-do it in the Tharkold Sourcebook and say "this is it now".
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 am

You've got my vote!

And the Tharkold book is right around the corner, right? ;)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:38 am

utsukushi wrote:You've got my vote!

A cosm comes out evry 6 months more or less; so Aysle by December/January. Cyberpapacy by June/July 2020, Tharkold by December/January 2020/21... if they can keep to that pace.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Hawk Knight

Postby Hawk Knight » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
utsukushi wrote:You've got my vote!

A cosm comes out every 6 months more or less; so Aysle by December/January. Cyberpapacy by June/July 2020, Tharkold by December/January 2020/21... if they can keep to that pace.

I thought Pan Pacifica and Ororsh were coming out before Tharkold?

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”