Do Villains test Surge?

Istrian

Re: Do Villains test Surge?

Postby Istrian » Fri May 24, 2019 5:51 am

I seem to recall there is a Perk or Destiny Card that lets you swap the effects of the conflict line, so theoretically Villains could be subject to the Surge effect.

vaminion

Postby vaminion » Fri May 24, 2019 8:36 am

Istrian wrote:I seem to recall there is a Perk or Destiny Card that lets you swap the effects of the conflict line, so theoretically Villains could be subject to the Surge effect.

And I'm pretty sure a Player's Call under the right circumstances can force it as well.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri May 24, 2019 8:55 am

Sword of Spirit wrote: There are some mistakes in the rules. There is no reason for the rules (in that one place) to state that it happens to the side whose line it's on...and then have it only ever be on the heroes' side.

Designers have to be precise in the rules. It is literally true what is said about Surge affecting the side that has it. If they decided to specify that Surge only affects heroes, then that paints the designers into a corner.

Say a future Drama card comes out with Surge on the villain side. If the rules say that Surge always affects the heroes, then this card is unusable. And as mentioned already, it is possible to reverse the hero/villain conditions, which would be less useful if Surge was defined as always affecting the heroes.

Designers have to be precise, and they have to avoid cutting themselves off from future plans.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
Sword of Spirit wrote: There are some mistakes in the rules. There is no reason for the rules (in that one place) to state that it happens to the side whose line it's on...and then have it only ever be on the heroes' side.

Designers have to be precise in the rules. It is literally true what is said about Surge affecting the side that has it. If they decided to specify that Surge only affects heroes, then that paints the designers into a corner.

Say a future Drama card comes out with Surge on the villain side. If the rules say that Surge always affects the heroes, then this card is unusable. And as mentioned already, it is possible to reverse the hero/villain conditions, which would be less useful if Surge was defined as always affecting the heroes.

Designers have to be precise, and they have to avoid cutting themselves off from future plans.

Though TBH, these aren't programming manuals, and we also have editors editing for language and grammar, not rules, so we're never going to be as precsise as we like.

Especially since I don't have a debugging app to run on rules. :-)

Also, that's part of why I'm around...to answer questions like this. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri May 24, 2019 12:46 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Especially since I don't have a debugging app to run on rules. :-)

I thought that’s what we were.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Fri May 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Atama wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Especially since I don't have a debugging app to run on rules. :-)

I was going to suggest more disciplined playtesters. Maybe invoke the law of dominance?

Alternatively, I'm sure the cyberpapacy has some VIs that can help isolate all of the flaws in the rules. Especially the ones about the Cyberchurch.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Atama wrote:

I didn't want to come out and say it. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri May 24, 2019 12:58 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:
Atama wrote:

I was going to suggest more disciplined playtesters. Maybe invoke the law of dominance?

Alternatively, I'm sure the cyberpapacy has some VIs that can help isolate all of the flaws in the rules. Especially the ones about the Cyberchurch.

Well, we do have a group now that, as a bonus, has several players who loooooooooooooove to find all the OP bugs. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sat May 25, 2019 10:42 am

TorgHacker wrote:Though TBH, these aren't programming manuals, and we also have editors editing for language and grammar, not rules, so we're never going to be as precsise as we like.

Speaking of that, I just got updated version of the Relics of Power acts, Core Earth religions and Secrets of the Nile Empire and noticed a few spelling and other errors. Who can I e-mail about these so they can get corrected before they go out again?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat May 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”