Active Defense Questions

agarrett

Active Defense Questions

Postby agarrett » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 am

I'm pretty sure I've been mishandling active defense, and it came up in our last session so I reviewed the rules closely, and now have even more questions ;)

First, it looks like you cannot multi-action an active defense. In the rules, it says you can active defense as long as you have not taken an action yet, but in the summary it says you sacrifice an action in order to take active defense. I assume the summary is the intent, and you cannot multi-action this.

Next, the roll. By the rules, you don't roll your active defense until/unless you are attacked. That's fine, but once again, the rules makes it sound like that bonus only applies to the one attack, while the summary says it lasts until your next turn. I'm thinking it lasts until your next turn - but... Let's say round 1 heroes have initiative, then villains. A hero uses active defense, and the next round villains have the initiative and then heroes. Does the active defense last through the villains' second attack. By the summary, it looks like it does, by the rules it looks like it doesn't. That actually feels too strong to me, so looking for clarification.

Finally, the defend approved action. If villains have the initiative, is it possible to succeed at this at all? By the rules under active defense, it's successful only if you're attacked and missed, but you haven't had the chance to go yet if the villains have the initiative. The only way I can get around that is if you can sacrifice your action when a villain is attacking you and declare it an active defense, even if they had the initiative. But I can't find any support for that, even though it feels reasonable.

Thanks for any help.

Staffan

Re: Active Defense Questions

Postby Staffan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 am

agarrett wrote:I'm pretty sure I've been mishandling active defense, and it came up in our last session so I reviewed the rules closely, and now have even more questions ;)

First, it looks like you cannot multi-action an active defense. In the rules, it says you can active defense as long as you have not taken an action yet, but in the summary it says you sacrifice an action in order to take active defense. I assume the summary is the intent, and you cannot multi-action this.

Correct. The full description says you can take simple actions as usual, but doesn't outright say you can't take other actions. I think that's in the FAQ/Errata though.

Next, the roll. By the rules, you don't roll your active defense until/unless you are attacked. That's fine, but once again, the rules makes it sound like that bonus only applies to the one attack, while the summary says it lasts until your next turn.

The full description says "she rolls a bonus and adds it to all her defenses that round - physical, interactive, magical, etc." So it lasts until the end of the round (not until your next turn).

Finally, the defend approved action. If villains have the initiative, is it possible to succeed at this at all? By the rules under active defense, it's successful only if you're attacked and missed, but you haven't had the chance to go yet if the villains have the initiative. The only way I can get around that is if you can sacrifice your action when a villain is attacking you and declare it an active defense, even if they had the initiative. But I can't find any support for that, even though it feels reasonable.

Again, the full description says "A character may declare an active defense at any time as long as she has not used her action that round." So if the villains have initiative, the PC may declare an active defense in response to being attacked. They may even allow some villains to attack their "normal" defense (hoping that that's enough to avoid being hit), and declare an active defense in response to being targeted by the Big Bad.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 am

agarrett wrote:I'm pretty sure I've been mishandling active defense, and it came up in our last session so I reviewed the rules closely, and now have even more questions ;)

Correct. You cannot multi-action this.

Next, the roll. By the rules, you don't roll your active defense until/unless you are attacked. That's fine, but once again, the rules makes it sound like that bonus only applies to the one attack, while the summary says it lasts until your next turn. I'm thinking it lasts until your next turn - but... Let's say round 1 heroes have initiative, then villains. A hero uses active defense, and the next round villains have the initiative and then heroes. Does the active defense last through the villains' second attack. By the summary, it looks like it does, by the rules it looks like it doesn't. That actually feels too strong to me, so looking for clarification.

It never ceases to amaze me how we can go through all that development, and have the game out for two years and we're still finding contradictions. ;-)

I'm running this by Darrell, but it's definitely a contradiction and needs errata. It's certainly more than just the attack though...it's just the duration that's in question.

Thanks for any help.

This is in fact, how it's done. You sacrifice your action later in the round.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

agarrett

Postby agarrett » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks for the help, and I also appreciate you running the question by Darrell.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 pm

And officially:

It's only for the round.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”