Restrained & Active Defense

Atama

Re: Restrained & Active Defense

Postby Atama » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:56 pm

Kanaris wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Greymarch2000 wrote:If a character is restrained (from a grapple or other effect) on their turn they "must only attempt to break free". The question then becomes can they still perform an Active Defense in response to an enemies attack? If done in response it wouldn't be "on their turn" and what would the ramifications be? They don't get to try to escape on their turn?

They cannot make an Active Defense.

That makes sense to me - hard to see what defense you could maintain while already restrained. However, the RAW prohibits a restrained person from taking any other actions at all. I can envisage a few other things that a restrained person might be able to do even while restrained - taunt, trick, psionic powers. Is this one of those rule simplicity things where creating exceptions is more trouble than its worth?

If I’m restraining someone, I’m not letting them even talk to Taunt or Trick. And if they try to use Psionics, I’m twisting their arm to break their concentration.

I don’t know that creating exceptions even makes logical sense, let alone complicating things.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:21 pm

Atama wrote:If I’m restraining someone, I’m not letting them even talk to Taunt or Trick. And if they try to use Psionics, I’m twisting their arm to break their concentration.

I don’t know that creating exceptions even makes logical sense, let alone complicating things.

That might be right for a very proficient and cautious grappler, but what if the restraint is being applied by a horde of overbearing beggars? ;) As for psionics, you would get a willpower check even if your arm was broken during the grapple, and in relation to taunt and some tricks I suspect the mouth would not be a high priority target for most grapplers. Allowing a few exceptions does complicate things, but I feel that making no exceptions limits the dramatic possibilities (no pun intended).

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:29 am

I see being restrained as just not being able to use your arms/hands (so no miracles, spells, physical attacks). So taunting, trick etc. is possible but maybe at a -2. Psionics is possible, but with a concentration roll. If the restrainer is being rough then these penalties will be higher. If there are more people, then interaction attacks aren't possible and psionics as well.

The fact that someone has been taken out of combat is a big deal.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 am

It's easier to simply say that being Restrained prevents all actions and let the GM make an exception in cases where it makes sense to allow for tricking or psionics.

The GM will have to decide what exceptions are allowed when comparing restraining a character in a web cocoon vs. restraining a character by having his foot in a bear trap.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 am

Kuildeous wrote:It's easier to simply say that being Restrained prevents all actions and let the GM make an exception in cases where it makes sense to allow for tricking or psionics.

The GM will have to decide what exceptions are allowed when comparing restraining a character in a web cocoon vs. restraining a character by having his foot in a bear trap.

Exactly what I was trying to get at. Play it by ear, just be consistent.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”