Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

jhosmer1

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:38 am

Skald v. Foreshadow

Can anyone tell me how skald isn't better than the psionic power foreshadow?

• DN 12 scholar for skald while foreshadow is DN 16 precognition.
  • Skald has no chance of disconnection (no star on the pre-req, so not tied to a world law)
The only other difference is that skald has a CHA requirement, but a psionicist might take CHA for telepathy powers, so it's not much of a trade off. Of course, the Psionics perk gives 3 powers, but since we don't have a Psionic cosm sourcebook yet, we have few powers to pick from.

It just seems weird that a bard can do this more easily than someone with mind powers... at the least, I'd expect it to be a contradiction outside of Aysle, where narrativium is not easily found.

Thoughts?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

jhosmer1 wrote:Skald v. Foreshadow

• DN 12 scholar for skald while foreshadow is DN 16 precognition.
  • Skald has no chance of disconnection (no star on the pre-req, so not tied to a world law)
The only other difference is that skald has a CHA requirement, but a psionicist might take CHA for telepathy powers, so it's not much of a trade off. Of course, the Psionics perk gives 3 powers, but since we don't have a Psionic cosm sourcebook yet, we have few powers to pick from.

It just seems weird that a bard can do this more easily than someone with mind powers... at the least, I'd expect it to be a contradiction outside of Aysle, where narrativium is not easily found.

Thoughts?

Not all things are equal.

Personally I don't like the idea of this cosm should be powered the same as that cosm. That difference is what makes things interesting.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:45 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Not all things are equal.

Personally I don't like the idea of this cosm should be powered the same as that cosm. That difference is what makes things interesting.

But as written, unless I'm missing something, skald works everywhere.

This weakens psionics (having an identical power that is easier to use and has less drawbacks), and since we don't have a psionic cosm book yet, I don't think we should do that. Like I said, if it is a contradiction outside of Aysle, I could accept it more easily.

Fuzzy

Dynamic Map Question

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:01 am

One of these turned up, and it's really a cool idea but also causing some confusion.

"The dynamic map can be set to a
specific goal and will map out a path to get there. If the journey will be eventful, a few landmarks will
be featured, usually related to plot points."

It's a full Arcane item, so it should be pretty useful. The question is what is a "specific goal".

"The lair of a specific monster"
"The place where a particular item is kept"

Or is this a specific known location...

If it's the former, then it's a really powerful item (unless something is scry shielded). It's still limited outside of aisle to 1 KM range due to Magic Axiom 23, but that's still pretty good. I'd probably advocate some limit on it (i.e. ony use once per week, or it's a consumable) to avoid situations where the storm knights literally use it on everything they ever want to find/do, since "a specific goal" is quite broad language. Alternatively, the goal could be made more limited.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:34 am

DN 12 scholar for skald while foreshadow is DN 16 precognition.
Skald has no chance of disconnection (no star on the pre-req, so not tied to a world law)

Skald's charisma requirement is for characters that do not typically use charisma. It's a perk tax, and so this is one way to reward a character for taking a high attribute that rarely comes into play.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Skald also features a Charisma build in a non-psionic society, already a sub-optimal choice, but ALSO requires a Scholar test, which is Mind-based, so you need a high Cha for most abilities and a godo Mind, plus drop deep into Scholar, to pull it off.

That's one heck of a double-whammy.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Spatula wrote:Regarding the arcane knowledge lists, "shield" doesn't appear on any of them.

Also, "armor" and "speak with dead" only appear on the Necromancy list, when I think every spell should fit into one of the 4 knowledges, no?

To add to the list above, “animate skeleton”, “create zombie”, and “skeletal barrier” are also only on the Necromancy list.

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Spatula wrote:
Spatula wrote:Regarding the arcane knowledge lists, "shield" doesn't appear on any of them.

Also, "armor" and "speak with dead" only appear on the Necromancy list, when I think every spell should fit into one of the 4 knowledges, no?

To add to the list above, “animate skeleton”, “create zombie”, and “skeletal barrier” are also only on the Necromancy list.

Well, all those spells are on the Aysle Mage (generalist) list though.

The Arcane Knowledges lists are also pretty limited in use IMHO.

While I understand the reason why the spells are on the lists, I feel that it forces a role one the mage that is very limiting in play. Two of them are buff/support roles and the third is almost pure offense. As it is written, I don't think that the specialized Perks will have much success at my table, which is sad in a way.

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Plageman wrote:
Spatula wrote:

Well, all those spells are on the Aysle Mage (generalist) list though.

The Arcane Knowledges lists are also pretty limited in use IMHO.

While I understand the reason why the spells are on the lists, I feel that it forces a role one the mage that is very limiting in play. Two of them are buff/support roles and the third is almost pure offense. As it is written, I don't think that the specialized Perks will have much success at my table, which is sad in a way.

I am guessing the concern is that it would be too much of a no-brainer for a mage character to take all four of them without some kind of drawback, stacking all the benefits. But even without taking a deep look at the spell lists the restriction feels a little awkward. My inclination would be to get rid of the "if you have any spells not on the list" clause and instead simply limit a PC to a single active knowledge perk special bonus at a time. So if a PC buys more than one of them, they pick the active bonus at the start of each act. If this seems too good, you could limit the Elemental, kindred, and Essence perks to only apply spells of their own lists as necessary.

I may be chasing a solution in search of a problem, but these 4 perks together (assuming purchased with xp) are 32 xp, more than 1/2 of what you would gain on the path to Beta, so it seems unnecessary to be super restrictive.

Related, I'm not sure knowing a spell that isn't on *any* knowledge list should cancel these perks. That doesn't seem to be quite the same degree of the concept of splitting your attention as learning spells explicitly on another list.

Of course I might be missing some unintended consequences....

G

Badger3d

Postby Badger3d » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 pm

Beast Friend seems like a like a week version of Primitive Allure, it doesn’t add anything so why not just use Primitive Allure and Elf as the blockers for getting Drake Friend instead and drop Beast Friend.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”