Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

TorgHacker

Re: Aysle setting Q&A thread

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 pm

graethynne wrote:Re: Seeker

Does being able to see the sky and/or the presence of landmarks diminish a Seeker's sense of direction or is it simply that the Seeker doesn't need either of those things for her sense of direction to function?

The wording suggests the former, I suspect the intent is the later, but I wanted to check before submitting this one on the form. Perk copied below for convenience.

Graethynne

Seeker
• Prereq: None
Seekers are special outsiders with a strange
connection to the Underground.
Seekers always have a sense of direction without
a sky or landmarks, and survival tests underground
are Favored.

They always have a sense of direction no matter what. Plus survival tests underground are Favored.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:14 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
graethynne wrote:when a spirit wolf is in spirit form can it affect the *non* corporeal world?

It's pretty explicit:
"Once a turn as a simple action the
wolf may switch to either its normal corporeal
form or "a spirit able to pass through walls and
unable to affect the material world."

So, no.

Does that mean Ethereal beings(beings with Special Ability: Ethereal) cannot harm each other without some special Anti-Ethereal attack, or "a spirit able to pass through walls and unable to affect the material world" isn't Ethereal?

Fuzzy

How to post errors?

Postby Fuzzy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Sorry, been traveling - Deanna asked us to submit errors rather than post to the board. Can someone provide directions please? (don't want to bother her more since she's quite busy).

Thank you!

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
graethynne wrote:when a spirit wolf is in spirit form can it affect the *non* corporeal world?

It's pretty explicit:
"Once a turn as a simple action the
wolf may switch to either its normal corporeal
form or "a spirit able to pass through walls and
unable to affect the material world."

So, no.

Does that mean Ethereal beings(beings with Special Ability: Ethereal) cannot harm each other without some special Anti-Ethereal attack, or "a spirit able to pass through walls and unable to affect the material world" isn't Ethereal?

I would assume Ethereal can affect Ethereal, but not physical stuff. So a spirit wolf would be a great counter against an evil psionic ghost or something.

On this note... Does the ability to affect Ethereal beings go both ways? Can a spirit pick up a sword coated in Iron Sheen for example? Or is the weapon still intangible to the being, but is able to magically harm the being as it passes through it? (As if the creature’s essence is being disrupted.)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

fougerec

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby fougerec » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:15 am

I think it's been said that powers etc. do what they say they do, which is nice and simple. Since Ethereal doesn't say anything about not being to interact then I allow ghosts to punch people etc. Narratively, they manifest just long enough to strike.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:53 pm

fougerec wrote:I think it's been said that powers etc. do what they say they do, which is nice and simple. Since Ethereal doesn't say anything about not being to interact then I allow ghosts to punch people etc. Narratively, they manifest just long enough to strike.

Pretty much this.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 pm

fougerec wrote:I think it's been said that powers etc. do what they say they do, which is nice and simple. Since Ethereal doesn't say anything about not being to interact then I allow ghosts to punch people etc. Narratively, they manifest just long enough to strike.

Wow ghosts are real jerks. :(
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Two things -

First, I thought I posted a question about homunculus but I can't find it. So the TL:DR was What are the pros and cons people see between Follower and Homunculus (other than the inherent coolness of a clay man servitor?)

Second - trademark spell: the damage boost is obvious in how often it comes up, but basic backlash only on a non-damaging spell....off the top of my head that would protect against the effects of Heighten Backlash, Law of Heretical Magic, and ... losing the spell until restudied, if you are a Spellbook wizard. Anything else I am missing?

*edit* I think I misread this. "Otherwise, when a Mishap is rolled while casting the spell, the spellcaster takes only the usual backlash for failing, with no additional penalty." So it protects against the "Very Stymied" from a mishap, the Law of Heretical Magic, the Heretical Magic cosm card, and disconnection? Is that right? Anything else?
Graethynne
Last edited by graethynne on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Re: the Kindred Magic perk -

"Gain two more spells from the Kindred Magic list.
In addition, followers, companions, and creatures
summoned by the caster’s spells have a Toughness
2 higher than normal."

Who benefits from the bonus toughness? is it
[followers, companions, and creatures] summoned by a spell cast by the character with the perk

or

Companions of the character with the perk
Followers of the character with the perk, and
Creatures summoned by spells cast by the character with the perk?

Graethynne

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:07 am

Re: Shield Wall Perk

Is the intention regarding an Active Defense that the bonus value of the shield applies to the toughness of both the hero with the perk and an ally, but the value of the d20 roll on the bonus chart (normally a minimum of +1) only applies to the hero with the perk?

Shield Wall
• Prereq: At least two adds in melee weapons
The hero may grant his shield’s defense bonus
to one adjacent ally. If the hero makes an Active
Defense the Toughness bonus applies to both, but
extra defense only applies to the hero. A Vulnerable
hero grants no bonus or Toughness at all.

Bonus question - Even though Toughness is listed as a defense on page 70 of the core book, passively shields only apply to defensive skills, and applying shield bonuses to toughness at all is a function of using an active defense. Is that right?

Graethynne

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”