Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Rabbitball

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:49 pm

utsukushi wrote:
I was a little bit surprised by the way spell specialization works. I guess I do still think there should be options to specialize in a specific casting Skill - to be a Diviner, Conjurer, Abjurer, or Apporter, and gain some benefit from that.

But I am very, very surprised at how happy I am with the way the Arcane Knowledges were built in, and I quite like the way the specializations in them do work. And if your players want something from outside their list, they can always learn an Esoteric Spell. Thematically, the idea that you can be specialized in, say, Elemental magic, but you can freely learn any other kind of magic and it's just that you only get this bonus with Elemental spells, doesn't feel right. And the lists they give really are pretty effective - especially considering how much we all gripe about how hard it is to ever get a lot of spells, each of those really gives you a pretty big list to work from.

The idea was that we already have a benefit for specializing in a single magic skill in that you can take the big spells faster. Anything beyond that can be done in Year Two when we can justify having lists include spells that don't have immediate game impact.

But one of my goals with the spell lists was to make sure everyone had a decent selection of spells no matter which specialty they chose, so I am glad it worked out that way.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Doug

Postby Doug » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:10 pm

1. Instinctive Magic requires a magic skill with 3+ adds, but does not specifically require knowing any actual spells. You may wish to add (has spells) to the prerequisites, if the flavor is "using spells to dodge."

2. Trademark Spell requires Spellcaster, but some spell-users have spells without that perk (Nile Mathematicians, for example). This would seem to shut them out from having trademark spells. Was this intentional?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Plageman wrote:I love the idea behind the specialized Arcane Knowledge Perks but in their current form I will hard times selling them to my players.

In most fantasy RPGs the specialized spell-casters usually gain access to additional abilities sometimes at the cost of an opposed school of magic. The main point here that only -some- spells are restricted for the mage and not that he can only cast spells from -his- school.

Who does that aside from D&D (and PF and other D&D-derivatives by extension)?

The Knowledges aren't schools. D&D specialization is set up the way it is because the schools are all, to some extent, and some more than others, limited in effects produced. Come to think of it, D&D specialization would be equivalent to getting some benefit related to the alteration skill or spells (for example) while being banned from putting ranks in conjuration or learning conjuration spells. It's a different beast.

The Aysle categories instead break up magic in terms of what is being affected, and not what you do with it. Which means that each particular category is more wide-ranging in effects than D&D schools, though some groups do excel in certain areas. For example, Elemental Magic has a large array of direct damage spells... but it's far from the only source of spell damage (most notably, Lightning is not an "element" in the Aysle reckoning).
Last edited by Spatula on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Doug wrote:1. Instinctive Magic requires a magic skill with 3+ adds, but does not specifically require knowing any actual spells. You may wish to add (has spells) to the prerequisites, if the flavor is "using spells to dodge."

2. Trademark Spell requires Spellcaster, but some spell-users have spells without that perk (Nile Mathematicians, for example). This would seem to shut them out from having trademark spells. Was this intentional?

1. What if the character does know spells but they're all direct damage ones? If one goes down the route of requiring spells it seems like you'd need to also list acceptable ones.

2. Mathematicians and Engineers can take Astrological Generalist to gain access to Spellcaster perks.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:14 am

Okay, I managed to get all the other threads at least addressed except this one, at least for the Rules forum.

This one's gonna take longer, so I'll be doing it tomorrow. You guys were...busy. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 am

Not if they really want to be a Mathematician or Engineer, though.

My understanding of Instinctive Magic, though, was absolutely not that you're using actual spells to defend yourself, but just... well, instinctive magic. If it's Apportation maybe you nudge the bullet to a slightly different angle, or, if you're at higher levels, maybe you teleport yourself an inch to the left. Divination just means not being in the wrong place at the right time. Alteration, perhaps you harden your skin for a moment where you're about to be hit, to a degree not possible on a larger scale; or maybe you turn the bullet to foam. Conjuration might shunt an attack off to an alternate dimension, or just create something to be in the way for the split second you need it, or, sure, maybe a little arc of electricity actually zaps an arrow out of the air.

It feels very idiosyncratic and situational and that's awesome. And the Aysle book has definitely done a lot to open up the idea that Aysle mages especially are doing a lot more magic than just their specific Spells. It's just... little stuff.

TorgHacker wrote:Okay, I managed to get all the other threads at least addressed except this one, at least for the Rules forum.

This one's gonna take longer, so I'll be doing it tomorrow. You guys were...busy. :lol:

Uh-oh. She's baaack! :D

We didn't want you to feel like we didn't miss you. That's all. ;)

Atama

Postby Atama » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 am

TorgHacker wrote:Okay, I managed to get all the other threads at least addressed except this one, at least for the Rules forum.

Crap, Deanna’s back! Nobody mention that hidden thread!
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 am

pkitty wrote:Not sure if this belongs in the rules thread or the setting thread, but it's a miracle list question so...

Why is it that Exemplars of Darkness -- a religion that explicitly mentions the undead as useful tools -- can't raise undead? It just seems odd that magicians (either generalists or those who tend toward the Dark) can do so, but that those who actively worship the Dark and tap into its unholy power cannot.

They did have a miracle that specifically did this, but it was on a larger scale and so was deemed to be something more of a 'plot spell' for villains. I can see this popping back in in the future though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Since the Champion of Light Archetype is using a One-handed Longsword, why doesn't he have a shield or a Two-handed Sword?

The art didn't have it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 am

Rabbitball wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:Pg #125 has a miscellaneous magic item list. #16 is a Scholar's Backpack. I cant find a description in the Gear section. Should it be described in the gear section or should it have been left off the list?

If it’s not in the gear section it should have been taken off the table.

I think it should have been added, but that was a space removal. Feel free to submit it as an error. If there is enough interest, I might be convinced to detail some of those things that were edited out.

Eventually this stuff will come out in something, at least if we remember it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”