Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

TorgHacker

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am

Fuzzy wrote:It appears that there is a subtable for special armors (circlet, vestments, etc.), but there is no way to actually get to that subtable.

I take it the resemblance to D&D 2nd edition is nor mere accident btw. :)

Submit as an error, please. Thanks!
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I'm not sure if it's mentioned, but the necromancer perk doesn't list Spellcaster as a prerequisite.

Indirectly it does, since it requires knowledge of spells.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am

SichoPhiend wrote:You may have to bear with me a minute, this question starts out about the Shield Spell from the Core book, and depending on the first answer may eventually reach the Aysle book.

How does the Shield spell function, practically speaking? We know it doesn't stack with a real shield, but is it itself basically a real shield? Do I get the Toughness bonus if I use it for an active defense like I would a regular shield? Or is it only a bonus to physical defenses and never anything more?

As for the Aysle part, if the Shield spell basically acts as a real shield, can I use the Shield Mastery and Shield Wall Perks with it?

It's not a real shield.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:29 am

Etan Krel wrote:I don't know if someone already stated it, but I found it weird that the paragraph about the gods and the guilt of the elves is in the miracles section instead of the game master section.
It is a sensitive information and the players shouldn't stumble upon it.

An earlier version specified that the Guilt becomes public later in the year, but I think it got cut. I'm making a point to add a Timeline Event regarding it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:46 am

Spatula wrote:Regarding the arcane knowledge lists, "shield" doesn't appear on any of them.

Also, "armor" and "speak with dead" only appear on the Necromancy list, when I think every spell should fit into one of the 4 knowledges, no?

Shield will get added to Principle, so will armor.

Because we've tied Necromancy to the Law of Darkness, those spells that specifically involve raising and speaking to dead, etc
were allocated specifically to that list.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Re: Dynamic Map Question

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:49 am

Fuzzy wrote:One of these turned up, and it's really a cool idea but also causing some confusion.

"The dynamic map can be set to a
specific goal and will map out a path to get there. If the journey will be eventful, a few landmarks will
be featured, usually related to plot points."

It's a full Arcane item, so it should be pretty useful. The question is what is a "specific goal".

"The lair of a specific monster"
"The place where a particular item is kept"

Or is this a specific known location...

If it's the former, then it's a really powerful item (unless something is scry shielded). It's still limited outside of aisle to 1 KM range due to Magic Axiom 23, but that's still pretty good. I'd probably advocate some limit on it (i.e. ony use once per week, or it's a consumable) to avoid situations where the storm knights literally use it on everything they ever want to find/do, since "a specific goal" is quite broad language. Alternatively, the goal could be made more limited.

"goal" will be replaced by "location"
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:53 am

graethynne wrote:
The added complexity is that precognition seems somewhat lackluster as compared to the other psi disciplines, at least at the moment. I forget what cosm book comes out after Cyberpapacy, but hopefully it will be either PP or Tharkhold to give us a deeper dive into Psionics (we have miracles, magic, and pulp/weird science already and will get some serious tech in CP). But that's just teh state of play at the moment.

Graethynne

Tharkold is next after Cyberpapacy.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 am

Rabbitball wrote:
Spatula wrote:Regarding the arcane knowledge lists, "shield" doesn't appear on any of them.

Also, "armor" and "speak with dead" only appear on the Necromancy list, when I think every spell should fit into one of the 4 knowledges, no?

To add to the list above, “animate skeleton”, “create zombie”, and “skeletal barrier” are also only on the Necromancy list.

The necromancy stuff was added last-minute, so that explains why they didn't get filed right away. Armor and shield were just oversights. I would assign them as follows:
  • Animate Skeleton: Essences
  • Armor: Elements
  • Create zombie: Essences
  • Shield: Elements
  • Skeletal barrier: Essences
  • Speak with dead: Kindred

Darrell and I talked about whether to do this or not, and we decided we wanted these specific 'undead' related spells just as Necromancy spells.

Essentially the idea is if you're animating undead, you're already on the path of Darkness.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 am

utsukushi wrote:Soft kitty, warm kitty, lethal ball of fur. Happy kitty, deadly kitty, purr, murder, purr.

I was a little bit surprised by the way spell specialization works. I guess I do still think there should be options to specialize in a specific casting Skill - to be a Diviner, Conjurer, Abjurer, or Apporter, and gain some benefit from that.

But I am very, very surprised at how happy I am with the way the Arcane Knowledges were built in, and I quite like the way the specializations in them do work. And if your players want something from outside their list, they can always learn an Esoteric Spell. Thematically, the idea that you can be specialized in, say, Elemental magic, but you can freely learn any other kind of magic and it's just that you only get this bonus with Elemental spells, doesn't feel right. And the lists they give really are pretty effective - especially considering how much we all gripe about how hard it is to ever get a lot of spells, each of those really gives you a pretty big list to work from.

Skill adds are a limited resource, so if you're only putting adds in one of them, you'll have more adds in your specialized skill than someone who put their adds in multiple skills.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 am

Doug wrote:1. Instinctive Magic requires a magic skill with 3+ adds, but does not specifically require knowing any actual spells. You may wish to add (has spells) to the prerequisites, if the flavor is "using spells to dodge."

2. Trademark Spell requires Spellcaster, but some spell-users have spells without that perk (Nile Mathematicians, for example). This would seem to shut them out from having trademark spells. Was this intentional?

Yes. Nile Mathematics and Engineering were intended to be a bit "off the track" as far as spellcasting is concerned. You can still get access to Spellcaster Perks though by taking the Astrological Generalist Perk.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”