Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Atama

Re: Aysle Sourcebook Q&A Thread

Postby Atama » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Please someone invent a magic spell called “Jazz Hands”.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:49 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Also with the text stating that there 'is little predictive quality to magic'; it kind of makes magic schools pointless as magic wouldn't be predictable enough to teach.

For me, magic's an art, not a science. So I see a school of magic as analogous to a music school, or a creative writing program. My experience of the latter is that ideally you learn a few principles, try things out, get some basic experience in what you're doing, and learn a few basic lessons about what usually works and what doesn't. And occasionally run into an ideology you can profitably spend a career trying to disprove. And so improvised magic is like any improvised art; as noted upthread, like jazz.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Atama wrote:Please someone invent a magic spell called “Jazz Hands”.

The backer characters from the Aysle Kickstarter aren't done yet.

I'm not sayin' nuthin', I'm just sayin'.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Wakshani wrote:
Atama wrote:Please someone invent a magic spell called “Jazz Hands”.

The backer characters from the Aysle Kickstarter aren't done yet.

I'm not sayin' nuthin', I'm just sayin'.

/Looks down at what he has written for his Backer Archetype and ponders...
Last edited by Zackzenobi on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:For me, magic's an art, not a science. So I see a school of magic as analogous to a music school, or a creative writing program. My experience of the latter is that ideally you learn a few principles, try things out, get some basic experience in what you're doing, and learn a few basic lessons about what usually works and what doesn't. And occasionally run into an ideology you can profitably spend a career trying to disprove. And so improvised magic is like any improvised art; as noted upthread, like jazz.

“The study of magic is not a science, it is not an art, and it is not a religion. Magic is a craft. When we do magic, we do not wish and we do not pray. We rely upon our will and our knowledge and our skill to make a specific change to the world.”

:)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 pm

What is that from?

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 pm

The Magicians (the book series, although they may have used some version of it in the tv series as well). I recommend the books if you haven't checked them out.

SichoPhiend

Postby SichoPhiend » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:16 pm

You may have to bear with me a minute, this question starts out about the Shield Spell from the Core book, and depending on the first answer may eventually reach the Aysle book.

How does the Shield spell function, practically speaking? We know it doesn't stack with a real shield, but is it itself basically a real shield? Do I get the Toughness bonus if I use it for an active defense like I would a regular shield? Or is it only a bonus to physical defenses and never anything more?

As for the Aysle part, if the Shield spell basically acts as a real shield, can I use the Shield Mastery and Shield Wall Perks with it?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 am

Matthew Surridge wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:Also with the text stating that there 'is little predictive quality to magic'; it kind of makes magic schools pointless as magic wouldn't be predictable enough to teach.

For me, magic's an art, not a science. So I see a school of magic as analogous to a music school, or a creative writing program. My experience of the latter is that ideally you learn a few principles, try things out, get some basic experience in what you're doing, and learn a few basic lessons about what usually works and what doesn't. And occasionally run into an ideology you can profitably spend a career trying to disprove. And so improvised magic is like any improvised art; as noted upthread, like jazz.

My take on magic is that at lower axioms it is an art not science; but once magicians started categorizing the essences and principles things became a lot more ordered, a lot more predictable. They started producing formulas with known effects that could be taught.

I like the synonym with music; you have cords and notes (essences and principles), you have sheet music that can be taught (spells) but changing a single note will not make a piece sound right (changing fire for ice in fireball), you need to change the notes around it (research the new spell). You still have predictability of what sounds right like going from a C sharp to B flat will sound off and shouldn't be done without something inbetween. You can listen to other music (research other spells) to find what sounds right; but the process and what you're trying to do is still predictable.

It also takes hard work and talent helps.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Etan Krel

Postby Etan Krel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 am

I don't know if someone already stated it, but I found it weird that the paragraph about the gods and the guilt of the elves is in the miracles section instead of the game master section.
It is a sensitive information and the players shouldn't stumble upon it.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”