How Surprise Works

TorgHacker

Re: How Surprise Works

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Might be a while before Deanna gets back from vacation, so here's my two cents:

Player characters are always expecting danger, they are always "on their guard", so to speak. Sometimes I do narrate that they weren't ready for trouble when surprise happens, in particular when I start something in medias res or in a peaceful setting. But when they're adventuring, they're always looking for danger. Assuming otherwise has a negative impact on the flow of the game...they will constantly be telling the GM how they are prepared for danger, etc and therefore CAN'T be surprised. So it's best to assume that when they are surprised, it's not going to be because they weren't expecting trouble. It's going to be because the villains just did a better job ambushing them. And that's what's happening here with what I presume is the villains doing well with Stealth.

So in my opinion the way to handle this is to just rule that they are surprised because they failed to detect the hidden enemies.

This is essentially it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 pm

More generally, let's say PCs enter a room, they see one enemy but do not see another.

Is there a surprise round, and if so, how would it work?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 am

Fuzzy wrote:More generally, let's say PCs enter a room, they see one enemy but do not see another.

If the enemy detected them, then...

I would say the side who isn't detected acts first, then rounds start as normal. This may mean with mobs that only part of the mob acts, but that doesn't really matter.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 am

Fuzzy wrote:More generally, let's say PCs enter a room, they see one enemy but do not see another.

Unless there's something else going on, there isn't.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”