Aysle Review and Balance Comments

Wakshani

Re: Aysle Review and Balance Comments

Postby Wakshani » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:22 am

Deanna's still on vacation I think.

When she gets back, we're all gonna get whapped upside the head with Tiki idols.

(Hrm. Note to self: See if I can talk someone into having Orrorshian Tiki idols out there...)

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:06 pm

[sing]
At the tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki bar
Doesn't matter who you tiki-tiki-tiki are
You can only go so tiki-tiki-tiki far
At the tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki bar...
[</sing]

:mrgreen: :lol:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:03 am

Fuzzy wrote:This is not an Aysle Q&A thread... it's just for commenting about the initial release, likes and dislikes, and balance.

I am surprisingly pleasantly surprised... The put out a lot of content here, and they really changed the play and feel of the Aysle domain in a very significant way. On the whole, they've done quite a good job balancing the Aysle book, and especially of creating different play types WITHIN Aysle.
Non-spellcasters in Aysle are extremely viable. The magic item diplomat perk is another good example. Most advanced Ayslish characters would take it in a heartbeat, but just can't.

Happy to hear this. :-)

The primary thing that sets Aysle magic apart (other than items) is not the perks (Nile is better, and other realms aren't that much worse), it's the high axiom spells. Here, I think they did a good job. Teleport, for example, is Skill 18 to learn... you need a 13 stat and 5 adds. Not easy, but it's something no other realm can do. (The limitation is also harsh... not just "take a wound", but something with real permanent consequences and serious risk that you don't mess with except in real emergencies.) Kudos. Well done. It's hard to create abilities that are really different and balanced, and not just re-skins of the same basic trope.

It's really, really hard to get what you expect from high axiom spells...I mean they SHOULD be powerful...but not so powerful that they make the rest of the game pointless.

I wish we had more high Spirit miracles in the Living Land book, but partly there a lot of the higher axiom miracles essentially are 'community' based and so are more plot elements rather than something you can just spam regularly. However, with magic I think we figured that here was where we really needed to have some examples of powerful, high axiom spells.

I'm also glad they ramped up the threat levels... You don't have to use them, but the deadliness in Aysle is significant. The monsters are real, they have powers and stats, and they can kill you. It's very different from other realms where you generally face hordes of troops and then some villains. In Aysle, you can fight a bunch of chaff, and then find yourself staring down some gigantic beast with a toughness of 20 or more, hits like a freight train, and has really high skill. What it does not have is low skill ord troops that can shoot you with a tank round for 33 damage... several times. So it's different, and that's hard to achieve.

Yeah, when you're dealing with dragons and giants, we needed to really up our game there. Especially when we have a dragon that is essentially a kaiju.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:06 am

Rabbitball wrote:I will let Deanna answer the question about Hexxer, but Backlash is defined as the Shock taken from failed spells. So theoretically zero Shock is no backlash, but I would be very happy to rule that any failure forces you to relearn the spell from your Spellbook.

Zero Shock is no backlash.

Darrell and I discussed this late in development and decided this gave a bit of a buff to those 'reduce Shock' Perks, which we think is a feature.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:07 am

Wakshani wrote:Deanna's still on vacation I think.

When she gets back, we're all gonna get whapped upside the head with Tiki idols.

(Hrm. Note to self: See if I can talk someone into having Orrorshian Tiki idols out there...)

Let's just say I fell in love with Hawaii, especially the history and the culture, and I think we'll be doing something with it in the future. Maybe not until Year Two, but something.

- "Torg Eternity, where vacations and other trips determine events in the Possibility Wars"
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 am

As well you should! My brother got to go a few years ago including a helicopter tour over an active lava flow. Like, a no-doors chopper where they were, like, a hundred feet above the lava and they tilted the chopper 33 degrees so they could get a really good look.

I'm *beyond* jealous.

Sadly, he didn't bring me back any cooled lava. The Pele commentary, and the airport shrine, rattled him enough to give it a pass.

But I'm still super jealous.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”