Lowest Armor value ? Confused by wording

pkitty

Re: Lowest Armor value ? Confused by wording

Postby pkitty » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Plageman wrote:Excuse me for being a bit pedantic, but there is no Armor value in TorgE since a value is a numer without a + or + in its front, there is an Armor bonus to TOU though :D

A value can be positive or negative. -2 is a value. +3 is a value.

Again I find the wording used very confusing as it can be interpreted as needing to apply a lower version of the Armor bonus while in reality you just ignore the Armor bonus to TOU unless in Full Body armor.

Except that isn't necessarily accurate.

Let's say I'm wearing a helmet that gives me Armor +2, a jacket that gives me Armor +4, and leggings that give me Armor +1. As explained above, I am fully armored -- for game purposes, nothing is uncovered. If I get hit with a "use lowest armor value" attack, I would use the lowest Armor value, which is +1. If my naked Toughness were 10, I would use Toughness 11.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:10 am

Plageman wrote:Again I find the wording used very confusing as it can be interpreted as needing to apply a lower version of the Armor bonus while in reality you just ignore the Armor bonus to TOU unless in Full Body armor.

It is plausible, and may become moreso as we get more books, that someone could have like, +4 Torso armor and +2 Full Body Armor -- say, if you had an Edeinos with the Stone Skin Perk and a Kevlar Vest. Yes, they'd be taking a risk on Surges, but that gives them better armor against most attacks, but still +2 armor against things like fire or Called Shots, and that's actually a pretty good deal. AP 4, however, would still ignore all of it and hit base TOU (because they don't stack, so you have the +4 if it targets the Torso or +2 if it doesn't, but never both).

I do think with the way things are set up and the options we have right now (where Full Body armor is pretty invariably the higher armor values anyway) it's a rare situation. But it's definitely possible, so the difference in rules between affecting someone's lowest Armor vs actually penetrating Armor is a real difference.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:13 am

utsukushi wrote:
Plageman wrote:Again I find the wording used very confusing as it can be interpreted as needing to apply a lower version of the Armor bonus while in reality you just ignore the Armor bonus to TOU unless in Full Body armor.

It is plausible, and may become moreso as we get more books, that someone could have like, +4 Torso armor and +2 Full Body Armor -- say, if you had an Edeinos with the Stone Skin Perk and a Kevlar Vest. Yes, they'd be taking a risk on Surges, but that gives them better armor against most attacks, but still +2 armor against things like fire or Called Shots, and that's actually a pretty good deal. AP 4, however, would still ignore all of it and hit base TOU (because they don't stack, so you have the +4 if it targets the Torso or +2 if it doesn't, but never both).

I do think with the way things are set up and the options we have right now (where Full Body armor is pretty invariably the higher armor values anyway) it's a rare situation. But it's definitely possible, so the difference in rules between affecting someone's lowest Armor vs actually penetrating Armor is a real difference.

This.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 am

Thank you all for the answers. I didn't think about armor layering but yeah, in that case there may be multiple Armor bonuses.

Wolfeye

Postby Wolfeye » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm

There is a third kind of armor in TorgE.
In addition to Torso Armor and Full Body Armor, there's also Default Armor without descriptor.
This "covers the torso and portions of the wearer's limbs and head."
It does not protect from Fire and similar attacks. Only Full Body Armor does.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”