Cyberdeck - why not cyberware?

pkitty

Cyberdeck - why not cyberware?

Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:44 pm

The cyberdeck works by interfacing with the user's neurons. Why then is it normal "toss in your backpack" equipment that anyone can use as opposed to cyberware?

Follow-up question that only Deanna can probably answer, are there plans to introduce a cyberware cyberdeck in the CP book?

I'm thinking of just letting it be implanted, at list price ($700) as part of the Cyberware perk budget, and am curious how far afield that runs from canonical plans. (Yes, I'm aware that they could do the $1000 weapon mount + $700, but that seems steep and I feel like this should be a special exception where it's actually easier to make work as an implant.)
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker

Re: Cyberdeck - why not cyberware?

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 pm

pkitty wrote:The cyberdeck works by interfacing with the user's neurons. Why then is it normal "toss in your backpack" equipment that anyone can use as opposed to cyberware?

Follow-up question that only Deanna can probably answer, are there plans to introduce a cyberware cyberdeck in the CP book?

I'm thinking of just letting it be implanted, at list price ($700) as part of the Cyberware perk budget, and am curious how far afield that runs from canonical plans. (Yes, I'm aware that they could do the $1000 weapon mount + $700, but that seems steep and I feel like this should be a special exception where it's actually easier to make work as an implant.)

Not quite time yet to address these questions.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:53 am

I suspect that this is strictly a genre trope that goes back to Gibson and Neuromancer. Entering the matrix requires a big plot doohicky the size of an electronic keyboard, because that's how it was in that one book and because it's cool.

This is the same book where the protagonist was involved in a shady deal for three megabytes of RAM, so it did not exactly do a great job of predicting modern computing and miniaturisation.

As I see it you might as well ask why wizards cast spells by saying magic incomprehensible words and waving their hands, or why vampires suck blood. There is no sensible answer except that's how it is in the source fiction and it is cool.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:02 am

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:I suspect that this is strictly a genre trope that goes back to Gibson and Neuromancer. Entering the matrix requires a big plot doohicky the size of an electronic keyboard, because that's how it was in that one book and because it's cool.

This is the same book where the protagonist was involved in a shady deal for three megabytes of RAM, so it did not exactly do a great job of predicting modern computing and miniaturisation.

As I see it you might as well ask why wizards cast spells by saying magic incomprehensible words and waving their hands, or why vampires suck blood. There is no sensible answer except that's how it is in the source fiction and it is cool.

Oh lord yes.

Gibson didn't know jack about computers and it shows, but it didn't *matter* since it was the literary movement through the plot not a technical manual. Trying to build any sort of cyberdecking that tries to be realistic is a fool's errand. All those bleeps and bloops and programs dressed up like samurai shooting lasers at tiger programs with chainsaw teeth while dodging little UFOs that shoot streams of clashing cymbal monkies that cling to your body and alert guardclowns to your location until you distract them with a wind-up Godzilla that trots off?

THAT is how you *cyberdeck*.

(Also, I want room service.)

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 am

I've heard something about oTorg Priestburner compact cyberdeck, the only suitable model for cyberware cyberdeck...

Actually I'm satisfied with a Trigon mount with cyberdeck(so many firearms experience steeper cost increase with $1000 mount), but for having cyberdeck non-implant there may be some potential justification...

*)For trode-users.
Usually dermatrodes are considered less powerful then nervejack implants but safer and less invasive.
oTorg had Temptrodes, and maybe TorgE Cyberpapacy still have choice between jack and trode.

*)For not frying your body with your deck.
Decking is risky business, and sometimes your cyberdeck is the last defence line between you and brain-frying black ICE.
Having a cyberdeck as an implant will have its own benefit, but the safety when said deck went ablaze while keeping your brain from being fried is not included.
(TorgE rule-wise, maybe there will be something "redirects VX combat damage you suffer to your cyberdeck", and implant cyberdeck may make this option less effective.)

*)Sometimes cyberdecks need the power still too big for implant even in Tech-26 compact computing era.
Hacking GodNet is fighting enormous computer network, and some security personnel may have powerful stationary CompPlex.
Of course you have skills, free thought, and possibilities, but "arms race" against GodNet security still may end up in larger cyberdeck.

Anyway we need more expalnations for cyberdeckers fighting GodNet(and overall Possibility Wars!), and I'm waiting for the Cyberpapacy Sourcebook making that expalnations.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 am

In Old Torg, Nippon Tech dated itself with using real world computer terms (as with the Neuromancer example). They actually did a good job in CP using a generic 'Block'. I think TE will do fine not making us facepalm in 5-10 years when reading our books
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 pm

I like the idea that cyberdeckers like having and airgap so THEY can't be hacked.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 pm

pkitty wrote:The cyberdeck works by interfacing with the user's neurons. Why then is it normal "toss in your backpack" equipment that anyone can use as opposed to cyberware?

In our world - right now in 2019 - we have human-machine neural interfaces that don't need to be implanted. We're supposed to be Tech 23. They're limited (and extremely custom use) and probably wouldn't hold up well to being tossed into bags. At Tech 26, it could definitely be as portable, durable, and everyday as a smartphone.

I'd expect there'd a cyberware version also, that would be capable of much more (or better or more securely, or etc, etc). Higher risks* for higher rewards, too, I'm sure. We just need more GodNet details to make that surgery worthwhile.

*Those of True Faith who would never do anything illegal or immoral to put themselves at risk, of course, but they still might be the targets of heretics and others demoniacally influenced.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Also, figure that cyberware will be able to be bought as equipment. Figure it'll work a lot like the Nile gadgets that can be bought. You get the use of a Pulp power but only at the basic level and it still comes with a minor flaw in that it's a gadget that can be lost, stolen, broken, etc.

Getting cyberware as a Perk means you get to skip a lot of extra crap. You can spend the XP and handwave the that you know a guy who is reliable and installed it with no problem. Buying it with money means you have to find "a guy" and hope he's reliable/not secretly in the Church's pocket and whatever he install will likely be buggy, traceable, hackable or all three at least. Oh, and it will be fully subject to disonnection. The girl with the Cyberlegs Perk who disconnects can still walk. The dude who buys his cyberlegs gets to crawl and hope he can find a wheelchair fast.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”