Stacking Perks and Pulp Mind Control

vaminion

Stacking Perks and Pulp Mind Control

Postby vaminion » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:31 am

I'm mixing two questions here. Sorry.

1) Pulp Mind Control has an enhancement that lets you roll persuasion instead of willpower/mind. If I have a perk that makes persuasion tests Favored, does that mean that the persuasion test to mind control someone is also Favored?

2) The fluff for Mind Control says "This invasive power allows a crimefighter to control his foes, turning them into puppets who dance on the ends of his mental strings.", but how much leeway does the target have? For example, if I mind control a stormtrooper and tell him "Bring me the keys from that guard post", is he allowed to tell the captain in that guard post "Hey, the Vermillion Phantom is out there and he's controlling me"? What about if it's a named NPC?

3) What's the maximum range the controller can issue new commands from?
Last edited by vaminion on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorgHacker

Re: Stacking Perks and Ppulp Mind Control

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:11 am

vaminion wrote:I'm mixing two questions here. Sorry.

1) Pulp Mind Control has an enhancement that lets you roll persuasion instead of willpower/mind. If I have a perk that makes persuasion tests Favored, does that mean that the persuasion test to mind control someone is also Favored?

2) The fluff for Mind Control says "This invasive power allows a crimefighter to control his foes, turning them into puppets who dance on the ends of his mental strings.", but how much leeway does the target have? For example, if I mind control a stormtrooper and tell him "Bring me the keys from that guard post", is he allowed to tell the captain in that guard post "Hey, the Vermillion Phantom is out there and he's controlling me"? What about if it's a named NPC?

3) What's the maximum range the controller can issue new commands from?

1. Yes.

2. GM's call, but I wouldn't do it.

3. 10 meters.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Re: Stacking Perks and Ppulp Mind Control

Postby Atama » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:55 pm

To me a true puppet only does what the puppeteer makes it do, so I wouldn’t allow the target of the power to take any voluntary action through self-will while they are under control of the power. That’s just how I interpret the “puppet” language. It’s different from, say, a power that hypnotizes a person, making them obey commands, but still able to act independently as long as those commands are being obeyed.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

OldCoot

Re: Stacking Perks and Pulp Mind Control

Postby OldCoot » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm

I figure that kind of mind control is pretty much the same as that demonstrated in Force Awakens, where Rey zaps the guard to let her loose, and then drop his gun. He's kind of in a daze, not really aware of what he's doing, at least not enough to alert anyone else that anything alarming is going on.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”