Thoughts on a homebrew perk?

Wakshani

Thoughts on a homebrew perk?

Postby Wakshani » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:39 pm

The core idea is simple: The person who takes it is a head taller than normal, full of muscle, like a Strongman competitor, Sumo, or Andre the Giant.

Friggin' Huge
(Pre-Requirement: Strength 10+)
Your racial Strength max is increased by 1.
Your racial Dexterity max is reduced by 2.
Gain +1 Strength.
Gain Large (Enemy attacks against you are at +2)
All costs for clothing and armor for you are increased in value by 1.

That's a lot of text, but I'm trying to balance it, since Strength is *so* powerful and this is, in essence, "Get a starting character to 14 Strength" the Perk, so it needs to have downsides to balance it out.

Too much? Not enough? Just it feel fair or need a little goose?

Wotan

Re: Thoughts on a homebrew perk?

Postby Wotan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Looks pretty balanced IMHO.
Though I can see the case for it, I'd probably drop the increased kit cost, for simplicity's sake. Counting as Large is already a pretty significant downside for a Perk (which cost XP and should therefore end up as an overall bonus)
The reduction in Max Dex makes sense, but isn't such a big deal IMHO (Players who want to take their PC's Dex to that kind of level simply won't buy this perk.)

Overall I might even lean to the side of the Perk being a bit underpowered, but not massively. I think it's still likely to be worth consideration as a pick for a character whose concept revolves around being huge and pushing their strength to the racial max.
/tuppence

EDIT: might be worth building in a pre-req that it either, needs to be purchased at CharGen , or, can only be purchased during play with an in-story reason (gamma ray accidents, nibbled by a mutant gorilla, etc.), but the rule of common sense would probably cover this at most tables. *shrug*
Glitchfinder General

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:52 pm

Strength isn’t that great, it’s the only stat with no associated skills. (I say this as someone with a 12 Strength character.)

I like the Perk, I probably would have grabbed it if it was available when I made my PC. Doesn’t seem unbalanced, especially with the bit about being easier to hit. Lots of games have a similar sort of thing; I remember the Large trait from Seven Seas.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:46 am

yeah, it seems inside the realm of, uh … possibility (sigh), but I always err on the side of caution where I can.

A Str 14 character is going to be short in a LOT of other areas, and the penalty against being hit, a combat area, balances out the strength bonus, which is also combat related, at least to a degree.

Probably needs playtesting. Hrm.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 am

I think it's a bit underpowered too, mostly the Large bit. The +1 Str also provides a +1 Toughness, however the Large gives a higher chance to opponents to score a Good or Outstanding hit, getting an extra damage die which negates the Toughness bonus. In the case of NPC opponents, Large usually means more Shock and/or Wounds as well which offsets that downside.

OldCoot

Postby OldCoot » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Large on top of what will be a limited Dex is harsh, but makes sense. Maybe adding another benefit such as 'ignore penalties on Bulky weapons?'
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 pm

OldCoot wrote:Large on top of what will be a limited Dex is harsh, but makes sense. Maybe adding another benefit such as 'ignore penalties on Bulky weapons?'

I don’t know, there is a Perk from the LL book called Smasher and this steps on its toes a bit. Not totally but somewhat.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

I do note that Perks that increase both the stat and the racial maximum are rarer. But it's also notable that a Dwarf can start with Strength 14 at no Perk cost, and their Size limit thing is... nebulous? Like, it probably means they can't find armor in the field, but how often does that really happen? I guess it does largely preclude non-Ayslish armors; it's unlikely that Kanawa produces Security Armor in their size. But anyway, it's a lot less limitation than you're giving this here. My first instinct when I see a post titled, "Thoughts on a homebrew perk?" is to just jump in and say, "It's OP," because they're all OP -- but I have to agree, here I think you might too aware of that. But I do think you might have fallen into the common homebrew trap of making it too complicated.

I think what I would suggest is just make it outright, "Your racial maximum is increased by one," and leave it there. A beginning character can start with a 14, but they'll have to find the point for it. An advanced character can have a 14, but it'll cost them 28 XP (or another Perk that adds one to Strength directly.) Dex will be limited just by the point needs, honestly... and let's face it, if you're looking to model Andre, his Unarmed Combat Skill wasn't low. (Frankly, neither was his Charisma, or his Intelligence. The man was totally OP -- more on the Rifts "Juicer" model, where the character is supposed to somehow be balanced by a short lifespan, which is a stupid way to balance a character and even worse in RL.)

I assume this is a non-Cosm-limited Prowess Perk, too, which means you could have a Friggin' Huge Dwarf with a potential Strength of 15, before their inevitable Dragon Armor. That's something to consider, but an amusing image.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 pm

utsukushi wrote:I assume this is a non-Cosm-limited Prowess Perk, too, which means you could have a Friggin' Huge Dwarf with a potential Strength of 15, before their inevitable Dragon Armor. That's something to consider, but an amusing image.

More important than not being limited to a cosm is not being limited to humans.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Atama wrote:More important than not being limited to a cosm is not being limited to humans.

Ooh, that's a very good point, and it could easily be limited to human and fix that possible Huge Dwarf question. And since a Friggin Huge Elf is basically just a badly designed human, and Edeinos have their own ways of getting this kind of effect, I think that's a fantastic tweak.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”