Cyberpapacy Preview #3 - Magic

Wakshani

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #3 - Magic

Postby Wakshani » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am

utsukushi wrote:
Wakshani wrote:When in the Cyberpapacy, the big question remains: Who do you trust?

Well, no one, obviously. Also, keep your laser handy. :lol:

See, there's the difference between the Cyberpapacy and Pan-Pacifica … in PP, you're gonna be betrayed. You just ARE. In CP, everyone's paranoid and worried, but when you find someone that you can trust, you can actually trust them. Resistance cells work because you have to be willing to risk your life with other people. Covens work because you stand together or burn together.

But winning your way in to these groups? Not easy. Everyone's Suspicious... what are your goals? What are you after? Who do you *really* work for?

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:32 pm

I love this peek at the magic workers in the Cyberpapacy. Definitely interesting and I absolutely love the idea of the White Witches.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 pm

fougerec wrote:I love this peek at the magic workers in the Cyberpapacy. Definitely interesting and I absolutely love the idea of the White Witches.

There's a ton of stuff that I'd love to do on that front. I gots idears...

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am

I'm rather interested in cyber-summons for Cyberwitches, a la Megami Tensei.
(Since Real Demons are reserved for the Foresworn, Cyberwitches' summons would be actually "technological spirit"s as the description of Cyberwitches suggest)

By the way...
*)will there be any spirit who grants shapeshfting power to an allied magic-worker?
*)the text says that the Delphi Council has a policy not to cavort with demon summoners, but does it mean that being "demon" is unrepentably Evil under any Reality?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:I'm rather interested in cyber-summons for Cyberwitches, a la Megami Tensei.
(Since Real Demons are reserved for the Foresworn, Cyberwitches' summons would be actually "technological spirit"s as the description of Cyberwitches suggest)

By the way...
*)will there be any spirit who grants shapeshfting power to an allied magic-worker?
*)the text says that the Delphi Council has a policy not to cavort with demon summoners, but does it mean that being "demon" is unrepentably Evil under any Reality?

No and yes.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:14 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I can see at least 2 of my players wanting to play Foresworn. The concept is great, but I would include the ability to summon and control demons (basically a demon companion).

Just tell them that becoming Foresworn requires them to sell their souls to the Robot, er, Cyberpapal Devil (ie become NPCs).

Really for summoning "demons" their best bet will be Orrorsh. Foresworn can summon medieval-style demons. Orrorshans can probably call up full-on Lovecraftian horrors. Demons will look puny compared to the Torg verision of a Shuggoth.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:41 am

Remind me later to talk about my personal view on the assorted flavors of magic for each reality. Nothing official, just my personal take, but this tangent made it bubble back up in my head again. :)

Also, a moment to talk about the art from the preview, which is totally badass.

I badly want to see her and the core Cyberwitch team up and unleash witchcraft on a bunch of Church Streetbeaters.

*ZOT* "My tech!"
*ZAP* "My wards!"
*combined kerBLOWEY!* "My inner harmony!"

Because teamwork is the BEST work.

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:01 pm

See, there's the difference between the Cyberpapacy and Pan-Pacifica … in PP, you're gonna be betrayed. You just ARE. In CP, everyone's paranoid and worried, but when you find someone that you can trust, you can actually trust them. Resistance cells work because you have to be willing to risk your life with other people. Covens work because you stand together or burn together.

That's a really good observation.

coyotegrey

Postby coyotegrey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Fuzzy wrote:That's a really good observation.

It will be interesting to see what's in the book. I really like the take on superstitious fear and the inquisition in The Armored Saint (which I also strongly recommend for any Warhammer fans).

On a related tangent, I'm most interested to see if there will be a version of Joan of Arc.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 pm

coyotegrey wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:That's a really good observation.

It will be interesting to see what's in the book. I really like the take on superstitious fear and the inquisition in The Armored Saint (which I also strongly recommend for any Warhammer fans).

On a related tangent, I'm most interested to see if there will be a version of Joan of Arc.

My personal view was getting that side right more than the tech, weirdly. In a way, it's an alien way of thinking for most people in today's world... not as alien as the Living Land, but it's the second-lowest Social axiom (and has a world law that pegs it even lower) … and certain concepts don't connect there the way they do in Core Earth. It's one thing to talk about neon billboards and AR feeds, quite another to talk about … hrm. Let's just say "Topics" and not scratch the paint on that NDA. :D

But I wanted to get into the heads of the people of Magna Verita, see how they acted and what they thought. Where history differed and what effects that had. At least with the Edeinos, you're dealing with non humans, but in the Cyberpacy, you have thought processes that are just DIFFERENT, you know? And once you know how they view X or Y, you can see why they act certain ways or do certain things.

If they ever want me to do a deep dive on Magna Verita, I'm gonna write a dang thesis. :D

As for Joan of Arc? I rather liked her rap battle against Miley Cyrus. (NSFW due to lyrics.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQx1sqPHTrk

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”