Second Chance - who can play?

Atama

Re: Second Chance - who can play?

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:36 pm

We always assume that we can play Glory when any player rolls a 60+.

Letting it apply to GM rolls would be meaningless because those happen behind the screen. He could be rolling jacks back there as far as I know. We’d never know when we could play it.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:15 pm

I don't know about meaningless. If your GM rolls behind a screen, I bet if your group implemented this he'd suddenly start getting a lot more 59s. :lol:

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:11 pm

utsukushi wrote:I don't know about meaningless. If your GM rolls behind a screen, I bet if your group implemented this he'd suddenly start getting a lot more 59s. :lol:

I don’t know what he’s rolling, he could be rolling a 6 or an 80. He usually just tells us if it’s a miss, good success, disconnect, whatever. We all trust him and don’t care what the die result is.

Unless he rolls abysmally low a lot, then we know what he’s rolling because he’ll openly gripe about it. :D

(That’s also how you know he’s honest!)
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:08 am

Atama wrote:We always assume that we can play Glory when any player rolls a 60+.

Letting it apply to GM rolls would be meaningless because those happen behind the screen. He could be rolling jacks back there as far as I know. We’d never know when we could play it.

In the theme of transparency, I always roll in front of the players. If there is something that I want the NPCs to do/achieve I don't do a die roll and just state it.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:15 am

It’s mostly a moot point since you have about 3-in-10k chance of rolling 60+ unaided. But it can happen.

Even if the GM rolls behind a screen, they could still implement a ruling that Glory can be played on a GM roll of 60+. Just tell the players when it happens and let them decide if they want to play it.

I still won’t allow it at my table since thematically I feel this is something the players should obtain, but utsukushi’s point of the group overcoming clearly superior foes is a good one.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 am

Kuildeous wrote:It’s mostly a moot point since you have about 3-in-10k chance of rolling 60+ unaided. But it can happen.

I did it once, in a home game. It was that character's defining moment, really. He's a Cyberpapal character with no magic, no miracles, and no cyberwear. He was the owner of a charity thrift store before the invasion. Just a normal guy with a good eye for merchandise (find is his tag skill), a good head for business (lots of Leadership perks), and who knows his way around an eclectic store's shelves (Wealthy perk, good streetwise and persuasion . . . basically the group's "equipment guy").

Anyway, the team had taken refuge in a London department store from a huge Viking raid, and we were supposed to make a find roll in order to see how well we could scrape together the different contents of the store, in order to erect makeshift barricades before the impending attack. I joked around with the other players before I rolled, saying "Oh, I GOT this! Philippe knows his way around a store, for sure."

And then I made the roll: 20, 10, 20, 12. Natural Glory! Whoohoo!

So I played it up and was all like, "You there! Go get all the metal racks you can carry from the clothing department. You! There'll be vats of grease in the cafeteria kitchen we can use to slow them down. Swing by housewares to get containers for it, if you need. You! Look for firearms, ammo, and potential melee weapons from sporting goods. Now go, go, go!" :)

I know that random chance is random, but sometimes it also happens to really, really work out. And I love it when it does.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”