Pacifist Companions and attacks

Badger3d

Pacifist Companions and attacks

Postby Badger3d » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am

If you have Pacifist do attacks by Companions or Followers or summoned creatures count as breaking your Non-violance oath?

When Companions/Followers/Summons preform an approved action do you get a destiny card?
Last edited by Badger3d on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Re: Companions

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I would say not unless your character is egging when on..
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Badger3d

Re: Pacifist Companions and attacks

Postby Badger3d » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I would say not unless your character is egging when on..

Well you are controlling your companions, is telling it to attack egging it on?

I’m also wondering what counts as an attack for approved action? Does it need to do damage? Would the Miracle repel, or Pulp powers dazzle, or sleep count as attacks, even though they don’t do damage?

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 am

Badger3d wrote:I’m also wondering what counts as an attack for approved action? Does it need to do damage? Would the Miracle repel, or Pulp powers dazzle, or sleep count as attacks, even though they don’t do damage?

It’s implied on page 111 of the Core Rules that an attack is an action that potentially causes damage.

“Attacks are considered successful if they hit a target’s DN, even if they don’t cause damage.”

That is in the context of Approved Actions. Interaction Attacks are also not considered “attacks” as Approved Actions because they are listed separately; Taunt for example will be explicitly listed as approved on a card. Interaction Attacks also don’t cause damage but hinder an enemy instead.

Spells that do something other than damage would only be approved when the listed action is “any”.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 am

Badger3d wrote:
GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I would say not unless your character is egging when on..

Well you are controlling your companions, is telling it to attack egging it on?

I’m also wondering what counts as an attack for approved action? Does it need to do damage? Would the Miracle repel, or Pulp powers dazzle, or sleep count as attacks, even though they don’t do damage?

I don't think your character does control its companions, unless you're saying "I'm telling fido to attack that shocktrooper" your character is egging your companion on. If, as a player, your saying "fido will be attacking that shocktrooper, but my character will try to stop him" then that works. Does that make sense?

As long as you hit, then that is an attack even if you don't do damage.
Question everything.

Badger3d

Postby Badger3d » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am

sounds like there is general agreement that a "hit" constitutes an attack, so Repel or Sleep which don't actually have a dex based to hit roll would not count as attacks, but Dazzle which does make a beam weapon to hit roll would count as an attack. Also with Grapple you have the option not to do any damage, so that's another attack option for a Pacifist.
What other ways can a Pacifist make an attack approved action, without violating their oath?

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:I don't think your character does control its companions, unless you're saying "I'm telling fido to attack that shocktrooper" your character is egging your companion on. If, as a player, your saying "fido will be attacking that shocktrooper, but my character will try to stop him" then that works. Does that make sense?

Whats the difference with summons like Bird Swarm, it is the animals attacking the Pacifist just brought them here.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am

Since it's a Faith perk I'd say unless your character is worshiping some god of lawyering and contracts the intent behind summoning attack creatures would count as breaking the vow. Your character knows what they're doing, and the deity knows what they're doing.

As far as companions causing violence I don't think that one of them making an attack would count - the first time. I would expect the character to have to have a chat with them and discuss how what they did was wrong and ask them not to do it in the future. Look at it more as RP potential. But if said companion was essentially just a tool used by the player/character to get around the limitations of the perk that would break it imo.

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:54 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:Since it's a Faith perk I'd say unless your character is worshiping some god of lawyering and contracts the intent behind summoning attack creatures would count as breaking the vow. Your character knows what they're doing, and the deity knows what they're doing.

As far as companions causing violence I don't think that one of them making an attack would count - the first time. I would expect the character to have to have a chat with them and discuss how what they did was wrong and ask them not to do it in the future. Look at it more as RP potential. But if said companion was essentially just a tool used by the player/character to get around the limitations of the perk that would break it imo.

.. I sort of agreed, but then if the companion is a 'fighter type' then they might not like the idea to stop fighting, so might leave the PC to be replaced with someone more inline with the PCs beliefs. Which would ba a discussion between the GM and player.
Question everything.

Badger3d

Postby Badger3d » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:.. I sort of agreed, but then if the companion is a 'fighter type' then they might not like the idea to stop fighting, so might leave the PC to be replaced with someone more inline with the PCs beliefs. Which would ba a discussion between the GM and player.

There is only so many times you can tell a Panther/Drake or human not to attack, I don't see any of them standing around while your being eaten.
But then how would traveling with a companion you know would use violence, into violent situations, be different from traveling with the other players who are even more likely to use violence and not even try to restrain themselves?

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:24 am

Feels like you're overthinking this.

'Pacifist' doesn't apply to other Pcs, so why would it apply to NPCs?
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”