Asyle Faith perks are available in other cosms?

pkitty

Asyle Faith perks are available in other cosms?

Postby pkitty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:23 pm

The Faith section starts "Cosms: Aysle, Core Earth, Cyberpapacy, Living Land, Nile Empire, Orrorsh" and the perks don't restrict by cosm either.

Is that errata? Or is the intent really that perks like Exemplar of Light are available to, e.g., Cyberpapacy characters?
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

graethynne

Re: Asyle Faith perks are available in other cosms?

Postby graethynne » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 pm

From the Aysle book Q&A thread

-----------------------------------

Re: Aysle setting Q&A thread
Postby TorgHacker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 pm

graethynne wrote:
Another Quickie -

Is it operating as intended for characters from Core Earth, Cyberpapacy, Living Land, Nile Empire and Orrorsh, that otherwise satisfy the listed conditions, can take the Exemplar of Light, Exemplar of Darkness, and Theomagician Faith Perks?

Graethynne

Yes.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for the quick response! With Deanna busy, we all need to pitch in. :)

That is kind of weird, though. I wonder why this isn't the case for other cosms. Why is it that a human from, say, Core Earth can be an Exemplar of Light but can't be an Optant or a Nile Astrologer?
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:18 am

Supernatural evil is true for all pathos. So if a religion is seen as 'good' then it shouldn't matter what the cosm is?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:21 am

I'd hazard that things like Astrologer and Optant are things that one trains for and learns to become like a profession where an Exemplar is something that just is. Keeping doing Light/Dark things and you'll be noticed and chosen, perhaps even against your own will. Much like SKs can be given narrative Darkness perks from the GM even if they aren't from Aysle.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:I'd hazard that things like Astrologer and Optant are things that one trains for and learns to become like a profession where an Exemplar is something that just is. Keeping doing Light/Dark things and you'll be noticed and chosen, perhaps even against your own will. Much like SKs can be given narrative Darkness perks from the GM even if they aren't from Aysle.

That actually makes less sense to me, though, considering that Light and Dark are not "good" and "evil," but nigh-tangible spiritual forces that are specific to Aysle itself.

Exemplars of Light aren't "good guys" -- they're Aylish who bond with the cosm-specific force known as The Light. Their entire religion is predicated on the Law of Light and Darkness. Ditto for Dark and Yonder (the whole concept of Outsider is tied just as strongly to the Law of Light and Darkness).

Then you've got Mysterian, which is an Elf religion, so even more tied to Aysle specifically. Certainly at least as strongly tied as the Egyptian gods are to Nile, or Lanala is to the Living Land.

Really, the only one I could see making sense as a "generic fantasy religion" would be Theomagician, and even that would need to be reskinned away from its specific gods.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:09 pm

The Light/Dark faith perks are a little odd, in that there's no real requirement other than having adds in faith and not having other religion perks. But you can be an "exemplar" without having any Light or Darkness perks and could even (mechanically though it probably wouldn't make much sense within the game fiction) have a Light perk and Exemplar of Darkness.

In contrast, the Yonders perk requires an Outsider perk to take.

It feels to me like those two perks should have a similar requirement, or at least count as being a perk from the appropriate category (so that Exemplar of Light would be both a Faith and a Light perk).

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 pm

I am assuming this is straight from the Aysle book which I don't have. Because the CRB specifies "Aysle" for Light and Darkness.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Spatula wrote: But you can be an "exemplar" without having any Light or Darkness perks and could even (mechanically though it probably wouldn't make much sense within the game fiction) have a Light perk and Exemplar of Darkness.

I actually have a character with Radiant that I've been seriously considering EoD for, just because it would fit her so freaking well. I wasn't even doing it to be contrary.

It feels to me like those two perks should have a similar requirement, or at least count as being a perk from the appropriate category (so that Exemplar of Light would be both a Faith and a Light perk).

I think it's an extension of the idea that faith isn't bound by Cosm. Core Earth humans can follow Lanala, or Aamatism, or join the CyberChurch, without having to Transform to that reality, or vice versa, or whatever, because people convert to new religions (or lack thereof) all the time.

So if you have an Edeinos who gets to Aisle and just thinks Dunad is the greatest thing since hrokt bread slicers, you can totally do that. On a related note, if your Elven Mysterian transforms to another Reality, their Drake may leave them, but Elmiir won't, and I'm cool with that.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:21 pm

utsukushi wrote:I think it's an extension of the idea that faith isn't bound by Cosm. Core Earth humans can follow Lanala, or Aamatism, or join the CyberChurch, without having to Transform to that reality, or vice versa, or whatever, because people convert to new religions (or lack thereof) all the time.

So if you have an Edeinos who gets to Aisle and just thinks Dunad is the greatest thing since hrokt bread slicers, you can totally do that. On a related note, if your Elven Mysterian transforms to another Reality, their Drake may leave them, but Elmiir won't, and I'm cool with that.

Well... that's not consistently true. The miracle-granting perks in the Living Land and Nile Empire book are cosm-limited. And the Yonders perk in the Aysle book is as well.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”