Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

TorgHacker

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Ampersands wrote:On the topic of what’s past the Land of Nod:

1. Do the familiars of cyberwitches originate in The System?
  2. Do I need to pack a frisbee when visiting there? Because I will. :D
(I love this Easter egg so much.)

1. No.
2. Maybe. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Beauty Witches can cast alteration or divination spells with Charisma instead of Mind, but can they use Charisma instead of Mind for the other alteration or divination skill use(DSR, Skill requirement for spell learning, and so on)? In other words, Can Beauty Witches treat alteration and divination as Charisma-based skills?

*If not, using different attributes for spell learning and spellcasting can be a liability than an ability...

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:05 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:Beauty Witches can cast alteration or divination spells with Charisma instead of Mind, but can they use Charisma instead of Mind for the other alteration or divination skill use(DSR, Skill requirement for spell learning, and so on)? In other words, Can Beauty Witches treat alteration and divination as Charisma-based skills?

*If not, using different attributes for spell learning and spellcasting can be a liability than an ability...

Yes.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:51 am

Kuildeous wrote:In thinking about this for my own game, I can’t see how one could have the weapon mount without having it in a cyber limb. I think that’s why the book specifically says that the limb is rebuilt. When I try to imagine a pocket implanted into the meat arm or leg, I am envisioning shredded muscles and shattered bones. It has to be in a cyber limb.

I can think of three different possible ways, depending on gm interpretation of course:

1. Very small objects.
Tiny objects, like lockpicks, could fit between the muscle and skin, in a pocket in the connective tissue layer, to be extruded later when needed. This would work best if the items broke down into articulated segments, kind of like those tent poles that break apart but remain connected by internal cords so that they can bend or fold up freely, but snap together into long rigid shapes when needed. That might allow for the full range of limb articulation without anything getting in the way.

2. Items that can replace the radius, ulna, and/or humerus bones of the arm, and also don't need to come out of the limb in order to function. I can imagine, say, a cyberdeck shaped like those three bones, and it still performs its work while securely tucked into the arm as long as there's a tiny connecting port, maybe in the wrist at the end of either the radius or ulna. The biological tissue would attach to the fake bones like normal, and so they wouldn't have their functions impaired.

3. Items whose housings can be shaped like the radius, ulna, or humerus, and that only need a small egress point in order to work. I can imagine two small, thin blades being stored in the radius and the ulna, and popping out of two ejection ports in the wrist like Wolverine's claws. Or a pistol shaped like those two bones, with the bullets or lasers coming out of a small extruded nozzle that could be extended from the wrist. Since the wrist would probably need to be held at a certain angle, bent out of the way while it was being used, it would "tie up" the hand from holding anything else, like the rules require.

Beyond those three categories, though, I don't think it would work. Non-tiny things that need to fully come out of the arm in order to be used, like a mace or sword or something, well I'd just flat out say no to that.

Kuildeous wrote:That being said, my house rule is that you can have a cyber limb that doesn’t require a perk. It just doesn’t provide the bonuses that the perk does, basically a +0 arm or leg. It still has a risk of disconnection, but that’s true with the weapon mount, so no real change. I believe I read that disconnected characters can still use the limb that’s cybered as the Everlaw of One tries to reconcile the contradiction, just without bonuses. If I recall that correctly, then it’s still not any additional hassle for the character.

I think the core book implies that a cyber limb is necessary. The sourcebook just clarifies it. I don’t think I saw anything about a +0 limb, so this may just be a house rule for me.

I really like the house rule that allows for that kind of limb. According to the text in the sourcebook, the vast majority of limbs should be +0 prostheses, given to ordinary citizens as replacement body parts. With ubiquitous availability, and almost no military value, I'd think they would be super easy and inexpensive to acquire.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:49 pm

The only thing in the core book that implied that it required a cyberlimb was the word "rebuilt", and since all cybertech is rebuilding you I never saw it as requiring a full limb replacement. The note about the "mechanism" being concealed with NeuraSkin seems to emphasize that to me; if it had been meant to be part of a full cyberlimb, that doesn't really make sense.

I do see what you mean about how it's taking up space in there so the nerves and muscles and blood vessels and... yeah, all that presumably has to be dealt with, but we're also talking about much-advanced tech, and they clearly have ways to integrate even bulkier implants, like full body plating. I assume they have ways to work those systems through and around whatever implants you get, seamlessly merging your icky meatstuff with blessed synthetics.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Do tear gas grenades (page 76) also do damage, or is the damage just a marker for who is affected by it?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Since the Living Land book, vehicle stats have included size. But the table on page 78 does not. Could we assume that the church car is Large and the others are VL?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I'll add that, can you make a report?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Spatula wrote:Do tear gas grenades (page 76) also do damage, or is the damage just a marker for who is affected by it?

Damage is just a marker for who is affected.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:23 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
QuarrelBlue wrote:Beauty Witches can cast alteration or divination spells with Charisma instead of Mind, but can they use Charisma instead of Mind for the other alteration or divination skill use(DSR, Skill requirement for spell learning, and so on)?

Yes.

Sorry for additional trouble, but I found the exact text was;
Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Page 27 wrote:• Beauty: The witch’s alteration and divination spells are cast with Charisma instead of Mind.

Does this mean the witch may use Charisma instead of Mind, or do they must?
In other words, can the Beauty witch use Mind for alteration and divination when somehow their Mind is made higher than their Charisma?
(I'm going to send a feedback and just found that, and I'm now concerned if I can paraphrase it "Beauty: The witch’s alteration and divination skills are Charisma-based instead of Mind." safely, considering about something like "can only used by somebody with 5 or more adds on any Mind-based skill".)

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”