Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Istrian

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Postby Istrian » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 am

I assumed the bleed referred to Ebenuscrux creating stuff.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 am

graethynne wrote:Pg 112 What is the Paris Commune?  

I assume we'll know more in Paris Before the Fall.

For context, during the war of 1872 between France and Bismarck's Prussia, Prussia and allies beat the shit out of France – Napoleon III fancied himself as good as Napoleon I but wasn't a particularly good a strategist, while Bismark was a genius.

The French government fled Paris, leaving the city undefended. The population of the city self-organized into an Anarchist form of government called La Commune, seized the weapons that had been abandoned by the French army and defended Paris during several months. While the French Empire fell and Prussia occupied the country, Prussians never managed to conquer Paris (or Belfort, another city which resisted).

The end of the Commune was a bloodbath. Except it was the French army shooting at the French defenders of Paris, as per the instructions new French Government (Bourgeois Republic).

Karl Marx' Communist Manifesto takes its name from this short-lived Anarchist government.

Kreltorr

Postby Kreltorr » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:01 am

Any idea when the other Cyber Papacy pdf's will be released?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 pm

Kreltorr wrote:Any idea when the other Cyber Papacy pdf's will be released?

As soon as we can get them done. Working as fast as we can.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 am

Neurodiverse Questions [totally love this Perk regardless of the Answers]

The Focus listed in the second part has to be related to a narrow field in the Science or Scholar skill areas. Is the intent that the Up tests only be Scholar or Science tests, or could this bonus apply to other skills when the Focus is involved?

My personal interpretation was "GMs call" with an expectation that the narrower the field, the broader the scope is:

Field=Undead, any Science or Scholar test involving an Undead is Up...no, you have never even heard of this creature before, but your pretty sure its week against salt water.

Field=Occidental Undead, you get no help against Jiangshi or Gospog, but any non-physical test is boosted...if you use Ward Enemy against a Vampire the test is Up.

Field=Movie Zombies, you get no help vs any non Zombie field, but if you find yourself needing to make armor and weapons from an office supply closet, you are Up on the Science tests and on the attack rolls to hit the Zombies with your repurposed-office-chair-wheels→boomerang while leading your band of tape:stapled-binder-scale-mail clad survivers to safety.

Obviously, this is just my take on the Perk. Even in the group where my character has swapped out his never used original Perk for this one there's some debate on this issue. Any input on my thoughts or the Perk itself?

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:12 am

I was looking for something like Mana Miracle from oTorg Cyberpapacy, thinking about arguments if GodNet virtual meal can keep you from starvation or malnutrition(actually I'm doubtful, since p.64 DeadHead text says that nodders need "precautions such as hooking up IV drips and catheters" to deal with “bodily functions”.), and found that preview PDF p.55 Fanaticism Miracle calls itself "spell" when talking about "However, the target becomes Fatigued and takes 2 Shock at the end of the spell’s duration, which cannot be removed until he sleeps for at least 8 hours." on Good results.
I'm hoping that someone already has reported that, along with the fact that already reported p.136 "Possibilities: Common (3)" error was actually two errors(booster dogs and cartagras both has "Possibilities: Common (3)").

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:11 pm

So, first of all I have to say, Savior, that I don't think you're abusing Neurodiverse at all. Even in Eternity's huge mix of genres, "Romero-esque Zombies" is a narrow enough focus to really only come up if the GM specifically feeds it to you, so being Up for things like shooting them in the head isn't going to come up often. But it does still feel troublesome to me, to let someone pick.. well, basically a Favored Enemy and then be Up for every roll against them, no matter how narrowly they have to pick. Just wait'll you meet my expert on High Lords... :lol:

But I do think your reading of the Perk is much more complicated than the wording can possibly justify. RAW I think it really has to be one or the other; either it applies to Scholar or Science rolls related to your narrow field as it thematically implies, OR it applies to any kinds of rolls related to your narrow field as it grammatically states. I lean towards the former ruling, mostly because the latter feels highly abusable. Like... "Ballistics" is a very narrow field of science, but not something you want to let someone be Up for "all tests involving" in a game.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:34 pm

This could involve the GM making sure things don’t get out of hand. The pulp power philosophy is that a weakness isn’t worthy of a mechanical benefit if it’s not really a weakness. In this case, the weakness is frequency. This is supposed to be for something really narrow. The book gives examples of French literature, planetary astronomy, and World War 2 history. How often will these come up? Finding a secret door in a French library because you realize the authors are out of place? Figuring out the puzzle in a Nile death trap because the planet placement can only be configured in one way? Figuring out where the Enigma Eternity Shard is likely kept? Yeah, these could all be used in the game, but they would only be helpful rarely.

Admittedly, most examples probably do use Science or Scholar, though the examples I gave could be tied to Evidence Analysis, Divination, or Tracking. Kind of depends.

So choosing something like Romero-esque zombies is fairly narrow. It precludes many of the other zombie-like creatures out there: gospogs, jiangshi, mummies. But in that rare instance where the scene plays out exactly out of a movie (enchanted Nile film projector maybe?), then the benefit would kick in.

Interestingly I don’t view this as something that applies to physical tasks. Like, sure, it’s possible, but only because the brain works around that. The perk wouldn’t make the character hit harder or strike faster. It’d just let the character figure out where it’s weaker, and that could be reflected by the Up.

My initial interpretation of the perk is that it applies to figuring out information about it. Read literally, it does sound like it would apply to all tests related to it, including combat. If so, then I’ll respect that in my game. It’s narrow enough that having an Up during those moments is just an added bonus. The main bonus for the perk is being Favored on Mind tests in DSRs.

I'd probably also allow a specific High Lord. It'd be like that person who's obsessed with toppling that one High Lord. It'd probably only come into play once or twice in the entire campaign--if that often.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pm

I just have stumbled on a late question...
Should Sacellum be counted as a kind of Christianity for the prerequisite of Champion of God Perk(in case of a Victorian transformed to Cyberpapacy but still kept the faith)?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:44 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:I just have stumbled on a late question...
Should Sacellum be counted as a kind of Christianity for the prerequisite of Champion of God Perk(in case of a Victorian transformed to Cyberpapacy but still kept the faith)?

GM's call. But personally, I wouldn't.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”