Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Badger3d

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook Preview Discussion

Postby Badger3d » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I’m confused by the spell Lucky Charm, it says it lasts until it succeeds, but for good success until succeeds or it fails and on odd roll, and outstanding any success or failed roll.
Seems like the standard success is better then the good, and the outstanding is the worst. How is this suppose to work?

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:40 pm

I think the word "succeeds" is a mistake in the main text - I think it's supposed to last until you fail a roll. That makes more sense with everything that comes after that paragraph, and honestly, the spell wouldn't be very good if it only helps you succeed once.

Given the note under Outstanding about resolving "re-rolls due to rolling a 10", I kind of feel like at some point this was only supposed to apply to Unskilled rolls, too, which does make sense - if you're doing something through luck, you're Favored. If you know what you're doing, you're not relying on luck. But it certainly doesn't say that, so I assume you also resolve re-rolls due to rolling a 20. Or it is indeed supposed to apply to Unskilled rolls only and that got left out somehow. Honestly I really like that idea - being Favored on everything until you succeed is kind of pointless, because that's going to be like, one roll. Being Favored on everything until you fail, especially if you spend a Possibility and get that Outstanding, is maybe a little too awesome, given that Storm Knights honestly tend to succeed.

Being Favored on Unskilled rolls is cool and thematic and seems incredibly useful without being too strong. If I'm right that that changed, I wonder why.

Badger3d

Postby Badger3d » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:34 pm

utsukushi wrote:I think the word "succeeds" is a mistake in the main text - I think it's supposed to last until you fail a roll. That makes more sense with everything that comes after that paragraph, and honestly, the spell wouldn't be very good if it only helps you succeed once.

Given the note under Outstanding about resolving "re-rolls due to rolling a 10", I kind of feel like at some point this was only supposed to apply to Unskilled rolls, too, which does make sense - if you're doing something through luck, you're Favored. If you know what you're doing, you're not relying on luck. But it certainly doesn't say that, so I assume you also resolve re-rolls due to rolling a 20. Or it is indeed supposed to apply to Unskilled rolls only and that got left out somehow. Honestly I really like that idea - being Favored on everything until you succeed is kind of pointless, because that's going to be like, one roll. Being Favored on everything until you fail, especially if you spend a Possibility and get that Outstanding, is maybe a little too awesome, given that Storm Knights honestly tend to succeed.

Being Favored on Unskilled rolls is cool and thematic and seems incredibly useful without being too strong. If I'm right that that changed, I wonder why.

I think your right that the it’s normally supposed to end on a failure, rather then a success.
But I still think a Good result seems better then the Outstanding. It says Outstanding ends on a failure, while Good ends on a failure if die is Odd, refilling 10s when unskilled is nice, but means nothing if already skilled.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:29 pm

That's why I also think it was originally only meant to help with Unskilled rolls. You always reroll on 10s.

As it's written, it's nonsensical. It ends when you succeed, or if "the failed roll" is odd? That doesn't even parse. But assuming a standard success is meant to last until you fail at a test -

Standard makes all of your tests Favored until you fail at something.
Good makes all of your tests Favored until you fail at something with an Odd roll (so, a 50% chance of ending on a failure, instead of 100%.)
An Outstanding Success, yes, goes back to ending if you fail, but in the meantime, it means you get to do every roll twice and take the better result. So if you fail by one, reroll, and end up failing by 6, you can keep that first roll and only need, like, an Action card or something to succeed after all. Unlike regular Favored, where you're stuck with the second roll no matter what. Or if you barely succeed at something, you can still reroll because even if the second roll is bad, you get to keep the first one. You can't make it worse. It's not quite Up, but it's like, super Favored. The Good result is indeed good, but I would absolutely take this over it.

But applying it to everything you do is... wow. That's... actually, we have a baseline for this. It's totally established that Favored on one Skill is basically half a Perk, because Perks reliably grant Favored on two Skills or on one Skill with another about-half-a-Perk-level benefit. So with 40 Skills in the game, this is basically a 20 Perk value for 1/3 of a Perk cost.

I mean, I still think 1x4x9 is a little crazy. (Crazy fun!! But crazy.) This blows it away.

If it does only apply to Unskilled rolls, it's really cool. Even with the super-Favored level, you have a real chance at failing Unskilled rolls, but it'd be neat to have something that would give you a real chance at succeeding in them, and it would do that without overshadowing being actually Skilled. "Favored on Unskilled rolls" actually seems like it would be a pretty good way to make a Jack of All Trades type Perk, so that, but with a chance of losing it for a while, feels about right for a spell. (The Fake It Till You Make It from the Nile Archetypes is also a good JoAT concept, though. I liked the way that worked.)

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:21 pm

I just wanted to say that I love the Recalibrated Cyberware Perk. I really like how it allows characters from other cosms to dabble. I'd love it if all cosms got a Perk like this relevant to some of their iconic cosm-restricted special stuff. :D

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”