Mob Combat

fougerec

Mob Combat

Postby fougerec » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:18 am

I'm gearing up to run a pretty major battle (a set piece from When Cosms Collide) and wondering about an element of the mob combat rules from the GM Primer.

I get that Shock is tracked for the mob but if a hit does say 2 wounds and 4 shock then that hit removes one or two but the shock total isn't affected.

TorgHacker

Re: Mob Combat

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:25 am

fougerec wrote:I'm gearing up to run a pretty major battle (a set piece from When Cosms Collide) and wondering about an element of the mob combat rules from the GM Primer.

I get that Shock is tracked for the mob but if a hit does say 2 wounds and 4 shock then that hit removes one or two but the shock total isn't affected.

It removes one member of the Mob, and Shock is not affected.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:31 am

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Kinda looking forward to running a fairly large scale encounter to make it more like a cinematic war rather than just the PCs against a dozen or so threats.

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Not to hijack but I was thinking about how a large scale battle might be fun as a DSR. Each step represents a stage in the battle, like taking a strategic point, defeating a particular group, etc. You could use social skills to rally troops or combat skills as the vanguard of the battle.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Atama wrote:Not to hijack but I was thinking about how a large scale battle might be fun as a DSR. Each step represents a stage in the battle, like taking a strategic point, defeating a particular group, etc. You could use social skills to rally troops or combat skills as the vanguard of the battle.

I thought the same as well but there's no real threat/danger represented by a DSR unless you have a more complex one like "failure of this step inflicts X damage". Also my players are far more likely to enjoy a large scale engagement for a battle. They don't mind a DSR for escaping collapsing ruins, disarming bombs, sneaking into fortifications etc. but when it comes to a fight they like the visceral thrill of RPG combat.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:15 pm

The idea of "battle as DSR" is an interesting one, and I'd argue that it's trivial to add "damaging" consequences each round or each failure. Would it be hijacking at this point to speculate on it here? Or we could start a new thread.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:00 am

Feel free to speculate.

One of the issues with DSR for a battle is that only one character can complete a step each round. I think you'd need to structure it more like a foot chase, where each individual can further their steps.

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:20 am

I've run a massive battle as a DSR/Chase previously, but the PCs had their own army. The steps were "pretty much anything that can help you win". They could use their troops for Combined Actions and to take wounds in their stead (but not shock).

In parallel the enemy had their own DSR, though it was more clear-cut: "get past the walls", "conquer the courtyard", "break down the gate", "push back the defenders in room-to-room fighting".

The risks were fairly clear-cut since each round the enemy was shooting or attacking PCs using Combined Actions (and allied soldiers were only wounded and taken out of the fight if PCs specifically chose to use them as meatshields).

However completing the DSR was not the only way to win, they could also kill enough enemies or the enemy leaders to force them to retreat.

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:35 pm

What and where is the "GM Primer"?

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 am

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”