Reconnecting Outside of Combat

utsukushi

Re: Reconnecting Outside of Combat

Postby utsukushi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:10 pm

...while feeling paranoid that they’re being watched.

To be fair, that's not just adopting the local idiom. We're in the CyberPapacy. We are being watched!

...Amen.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:59 pm

utsukushi wrote:
...while feeling paranoid that they’re being watched.

To be fair, that's not just adopting the local idiom. We're in the CyberPapacy. We are being watched!

...Amen.

Who says I being paranoid? Are THEY talking about me again?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:26 pm

The question is...are you paranoid enough?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wotan

Postby Wotan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Savioronedge wrote:
Wotan wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:I can't believe spending one entire minute working out the consequences for that rare(except in my games) situation where someone has rolled a disconnection outside of combat is that big a distraction.

Is this intended to sound condescending? Cos that's kinda how it comes across. *shrug*
Nothing wrong with rolling lots of dice if that's what floats your boat, but it's not for everyone. Another way of looking at it is: why bother when a single dice roll does the job adequately? What's the benefit of rolling those extra dice? How does it make the game more enjoyable?

It was not meant to be condescending; rather Perspectivist.

Fair enough, I figured, but if that's not your intent it might be worth working on sounding less contemptuous of those with a differing perspective. No disrespect or snerk intended just a well meaning observation. :) *shrug*

I am reading the complaint as "this could take a long time to sit through". I might enjoy sitting for 20 minutes watching the dice defy the odds...might...but I highly doubt anyone else would. However, as I outlined above, with cards it should never take more than 5 to 10 rolls, and at 3 to 5 seconds a roll, that's a maximum of under a minute to make a rolled Disconnection matter outside of combat. In my experience, Bill rolling those dice won't take as long as listening to Dave brag about his awesome finishing move during the combat. (Bill and Dave are just random names, not intended to signify any specific person).

OK, but I'm not sure what that complaint has to do with the section of my post which you quoted at the top of page 3. I was talking about something else. Am I missing something or is your reply a complete non-sequitur? :)

I did suggest a single die alternative earlier, and at least one other person has considered that option, arrived at separately.

Well that sounds like a smart solution. I wonder who first threw that idea into the debate... *looks back to page one*
Wotan wrote:FWIW, once Dramatic (card flip) Time stops I have anyone who's still disconnected make one more roll to reconnect...

Hmm, he seems strangely familiar. ;) *grin*

I just can't find the words to explain why or how much I dislike the idea of, "Ok, combat's over so everyone now Reconnects, pick up your cards and discard down to..."

I'm very much getting a feel for how much you dislike this. Honestly! *grin*

But I'm still a bit confused how it's connected with that snippet of my post you quoted on page 3? Even taken in isolation I can't see how it reads as "disconnection outside combat should have no consequences", & from my previous contributions to the thread it should be pretty clear that this isn't what I'm advocating? *shrug*
Glitchfinder General

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:55 am

For the record, I hate to fight but love to argue or debate. Wotan, even when you disagree with me (as you do on this topic) I still find your input well thought out and presented. Please understand, any hyperbole on my part is never meant to be attacking; it's just my Italian hand gestures translated to text...heavy emphasis.
Wotan wrote:But I'm still a bit confused how it's connected with that snippet of my post you quoted on page 3? Even taken in isolation I can't see how it reads as "disconnection outside combat should have no consequences", & from my previous contributions to the thread it should be pretty clear that this isn't what I'm advocating? *shrug*

The quote in question, copied here for clarity, is
So you may have players pointing at this kind of issue, and asking why some disconnections (those picked up from rolled disconnects) are more persistent than others. *shrug*

With the preceding portion of the post I pulled it from talking about the game assumption that there were lots of unimportant disconnection/reconnection cycles off camara. Can you see how I would therefore read this quote as «people will ask, "If those disconnections don't matter, why should the ones lasting outside of combat?"»? To which my answer was, "Because consequences must matter outside of combat." Maybe I should have separated the portion about time better, as the two thoughts are separate though tangential.

For the record, I don't actually like any of the Single Roll Solutions proposed, but that's one of the signs of a good compromise in diametrically opposed situations...neither side is happy with it but both sides can live with it.

I just don't understand why 1 minute is too long to devote to what I perceive as a very important detail. I get why more than that would be excessive, but as I pointed out, it should also be unnecessary. However, asside from the math (1 roll/3 seconds= 20 rolls/1 minute; statistical probability of rolling a 1 in 20 rolls ≈ 100% → statistical probability of rolling either a 1 or a success at even the worst chance >≈ 100%) all of this is just my opinion.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”