Aysle Backer Archetypes

Zackzenobi

Re: Aysle Backer Archetypes

Postby Zackzenobi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:13 am

Which one did you want? Did my answer still make sense?

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:11 am

Kuildeous wrote:When the Living Land Backer Archetypes final version is released, I'm going to print them out and laminate them along with all the other sample characters. I'm afraid this lady may have to be put aside. She's great for an established group with players you know. In a convention setting where I can't make assumptions about the maturity of others--or where newcomers have no idea of my own maturity--I'm not going to risk it. Fun character though.

I haven't seen the Living Land Backer Archetypes, but maybe Archetypes with Alternative Images, with various modesty, style, gender and ethnicity, including No Image at all, can enrich the playing environment.
Or, Archetypes without images and various separate pictures(something like a standee, for example) for each Archetype can do the same effect much simpler, without redundant data sheets.
(I'm not against current Archetype art, just welcoming more images which can stimulate imagination and give more choice. The Law of Savagery explicitly states that it doesn't attack character's modesty, so serving players with different "modesty" standards makes sense.)

TorgHacker wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:A mostly nude hero or villain in the LL setting would have been most welcome too!

We do! I can't remember where he is, but there's a primitive human male who just has a loincloth.

The Primitive Warrior Archetype. My concern about him is that his Bone and Hide armor isn't drawn on the picture, though.
(And The Chosen Human has a Hrockt Root Armor. For The Primitive Hunter...does this count as a Bone and Hide breastplate or something?)

utsukushi wrote:Might I ask, then, why you're not complaining that they're all so perfectly shaved? Those girls glisten.

...Because The Law of Savagery tend to exaggerate sexual dimorphism on human body hair, since Lanala loves sensation?

utsukushi wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:I am eagerly waiting for the final LL archetypes so I can print out the stalenger and sloth.

But the sloth is naked!!! :lol: Seriously, the Sloth goes back to my original purpose for this thread - it doesn't work mechanically. It's Large, so everyone gets +2 to hit it, but its special power is a special effect that gives everyone around it (or, for no particular reason, anyone further away aiming at it specifically) a -2. So it's slightly detrimental to its allies, but otherwise it's like... I don't know... a blind superhero whose only power is being able to see, maybe?

Distortion Aura Perk isn't just neutralizing size penalty. It Stymies everyone within 2m radius, which means nearby enemies trying to shoot someone else also suffers -2. Sure, it's not good for fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with allies, but can play havoc when shambling into the middle of enemies.
(Of course enemies can disperse, so it's better to have ways to isolate and pick off each of dispersed enemies.)

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:13 am

Wakshani wrote:Now, on to archetypes, first, a general question... what sort of ratio do y'all prefer between Core Earth locals and other cosm folk? Say you get 16 archetypes per cosm book, of those, how many should be CE and how many shouldn't? In *general*, mind you. Obviously there are corner cases.

Second, do you think there there's one or three that got missed? "How can you have Aysle and not give us (blank)?"

Lastly, I'm always thankful when something neat gets in there, like the Seeker, to remind me that, hey, not Generic Fantasy Realm, but *Aysle*, you know?

1)It depends, but from "8 said Reality / 8 Core Earth" to "14 said Reality / 2 Core Earth" would be considered well-balanced for each Realm Book?
(We have 4 Realm Books to come so Core Earth Archetypes will range from 32 to 8 this way, among 64 Archetypes to come)

2)I have only seen a list for Aysle GM Screen Archetypes, but comparing that with oTorg Aysle Sourcebook and Basic Set Templates it seems quite comprehensive, although lacking giant as a playable race.
Though I may still miss The Fairy Doctor concept, someone like Far Darria from oTorg Aysle Sourcebook, or maybe someone more scholarly and less tricky. Return of fairies brought by Magic Axiom increase is something special, and there may be some experts to emphasise it.
If I can name some more, there may be Freetrader/Bard/Jester/Herald(mainstream Ayslish who works on negotiation and /or courtly job), Scotland Yard Constable/Yeoman Warder(guardians of Core Earth with special regional style), and Edeinos Paladin(example of how Living Land folk can wander into Aysle).

3)Bringing up something specific to *Aysle* often requires the knowledge about the cosm, but it's rarely appearing(and the oTorg Sourcebook isn't reliable now, poor Gareth Tancred)...

dchart

Postby dchart » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Just to throw my two yen in: I agree entirely about Reality Scholar. I think it's a very bad idea: seriously unbalanced against Tenacious, and trespassing far too much on Core Earth. I quite like the idea of it just allowing one Alpha-level Reality perk, but making reality tests Favored is still unbalanced. Tenacious has a Spirit 8+ prereq, which is a bit harder to get than three adds in scholar. (Admittedly, also more useful by itself.) Still, my major problem with it is the trespassing on Core Earth's cool, and cutting the accessible perks back solves that. Leaving the big reality bonus makes it attractive to Core Earth characters, as well.

And on Jungle Blessed… I wrote "Possibilities for Nudity" into one scene of Road to Philadelphia and have commissioned art with a woman in a loincloth and nothing else for my Infiniverse supplements, and that archetype still made me uncomfortable. I think it's because it rather feels as though nudity is the whole point of the character. On the other hand, I can totally see editors not being comfortable telling a female contributor that she couldn't have a female nudist archetype. (The Perk itself is fine, though: you do not need to be nude, just not in armour.)

Kreltorr

Postby Kreltorr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:27 pm

In the Minotaur Gumshoe advancement track it has Deduction as a Perk, where is this Perk listed as i can't find it in previous source books?

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:56 pm

Kreltorr wrote:In the Minotaur Gumshoe advancement track it has Deduction as a Perk, where is this Perk listed as i can't find it in previous source books?

I think it's one of the Nile Backer Archetypes that has it.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Istrian wrote:
Kreltorr wrote:In the Minotaur Gumshoe advancement track it has Deduction as a Perk, where is this Perk listed as i can't find it in previous source books?

I think it's one of the Nile Backer Archetypes that has it.

Yep, it's on the Masked Detective in the Nile Backer Archetypes.

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:26 am

It seems that my previous mention missed one thing...
Wakshani wrote:Oh boy. This thread has drifted a *wee* bit since I last poked my head in here.
So, first, on the topic drift at hand, here's somebody that says it far better than I could,
https://www.shortpacked.com/comics/2011-12-02-sexy.png

That Batbishonen would actually be GOOD if drawn a bit more seriously. (If only I had some drawing knack...!)
...Maybe The Transformed Agent can sometimes be used for characters based on Jack Bancoran instead of James Bond?

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:41 am

Now back on topic, maybe it is too late for feedback, and I missed the Aysle box so there can be something that I haven't seen, but my thought about charging centaur is...
pkitty wrote:Because the centaur race doesn't include that ability, and if it did include that it would (for balance reasons) need some sort of extra drawback to make it fair. This is a PC race, not a beast being ridden. If you let centaurs have a free +2 damage when they run, do you let satyrs have the same thing? They're "running beasts," sort of, right? Edeinos? Humans?

I think "Counts as mounted for running attack and lance use" can be part of Gallop racial ability. Maybe you can suffer some problem riding on a mount(provided the mount can carry your Size), since your legs aren't suitable for holding things, as a drawback(hindering the use of more powerful or fast riding animals. Also some problem for riding other vehicles equipped for ride and control with bipedal legs?...I'm not sure how horse legs work with Beast Riding skill, just assuming they are specialized for running fast on themselves at flat plain so not as useful as bipedal humanoid legs, which can sometimes be used for tree-climbing, for firm holding on the back of a riding animal. Tell me if you know otherwise).
And, Running Attack suffers -2 to hit, and after the first strike you have to move from melee(Withdrawing) first(unless all the enemies in your engagement are already down) to do it again, rendering you Vulnerable. (Maybe Charger Perk can be something to mitigate that problem...)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:It seems that my previous mention missed one thing...
Wakshani wrote:Oh boy. This thread has drifted a *wee* bit since I last poked my head in here.
So, first, on the topic drift at hand, here's somebody that says it far better than I could,
https://www.shortpacked.com/comics/2011-12-02-sexy.png

That Batbishonen would actually be GOOD if drawn a bit more seriously. (If only I had some drawing knack...!)
...Maybe The Transformed Agent can sometimes be used for characters based on Jack Bancoran instead of James Bond?

Yeah, draw a bit on Mark and Jason from G-Force/Battle of the Planets and you're on the right path.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”