Vow of nonViolence

Badger3d
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

Vow of nonViolence

Postby Badger3d » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 am

I’m not understanding how the Vow of nonViolence works, it says “ After an oppnent rolls a bonus for an attack” what do they mean by bonus? A “bonus dice” ie damage die? Or a extra die as from an UP or spent possibility? A basic attack die roll? What happens if the die you roll is better then the opponents die?

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 am

Badger3d wrote:I’m not understanding how the Vow of nonViolence works, it says “ After an oppnent rolls a bonus for an attack” what do they mean by bonus? A “bonus dice” ie damage die? Or a extra die as from an UP or spent possibility? A basic attack die roll? What happens if the die you roll is better then the opponents die?


The bonus rolled on an attack, including after spending any Possibilities (i.e. after you roll the dice and you look up the bonus on the bonus chart? That number.)

If you roll a better bonus, then the attacker's bonus stands. If you roll lower, then the bonus they use for their attack is the one you rolled.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Badger3d
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby Badger3d » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am

TorgHacker wrote:
The bonus rolled on an attack, including after spending any Possibilities (i.e. after you roll the dice and you look up the bonus on the bonus chart? That number.)

If you roll a better bonus, then the attacker's bonus stands. If you roll lower, then the bonus they use for their attack is the one you rolled.


Thanks I think I get it, what happens if the attacker rolls a 20 then a 5, rolls an UP of 6 and spends a possibility for 6 total 41 I think( or is UP minimum 10?) bonus of 12
the defender spends a possibility for the Vow would they reroll all those, 6, UP 10 and 15, the already spent possibility 19 for a total of 50 bonus 13, or just count the 6 for bonus -4. I could also see rerolling the first die but keeping the original UP and possibility rolls, for 18 bonus 5

If this is a physical attack and not a interaction attack is the bonus -2 no matter what was rolled, or -2 added to the bonus above?

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Badger3d wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
The bonus rolled on an attack, including after spending any Possibilities (i.e. after you roll the dice and you look up the bonus on the bonus chart? That number.)

If you roll a better bonus, then the attacker's bonus stands. If you roll lower, then the bonus they use for their attack is the one you rolled.


Thanks I think I get it, what happens if the attacker rolls a 20 then a 5, rolls an UP of 6 and spends a possibility for 6 total 41 I think( or is UP minimum 10?) bonus of 12
the defender spends a possibility for the Vow would they reroll all those, 6, UP 10 and 15, the already spent possibility 19 for a total of 50 bonus 13, or just count the 6 for bonus -4. I could also see rerolling the first die but keeping the original UP and possibility rolls, for 18 bonus 5

If this is a physical attack and not a interaction attack is the bonus -2 no matter what was rolled, or -2 added to the bonus above?



I'm not sure what you mean by "rolls an UP" Are you saying that Up is on the Villain's conflict line? (and no, there is no minimum on the roll from Up).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I'm thinking his main question is if the threat rolls multiple dice (due to UPs, possibilities, etc.), But not counting roll-agains caused by 10s and 20s, does the character roll the same amount of dice or just the one (with possible roll again from 10s/20s) to generate the bonus

So if the threat has an UP on the conflict line and spends a possibility, does the character just roll one die to calculate the bonus, or does he roll 3 (2 normal dice (to account for the roll and the UP), and a die with a minimum of 10 (to account for the villain's spent possibility) and add those together to see if the final bonus is lower than the threat's.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

User avatar
Wotan
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Aysle (UK)

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby Wotan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:38 pm

ZorValachan wrote:I'm thinking his main question is if the threat rolls multiple dice (due to UPs, possibilities, etc.), But not counting roll-agains caused by 10s and 20s, does the character roll the same amount of dice or just the one (with possible roll again from 10s/20s) to generate the bonus

So if the threat has an UP on the conflict line and spends a possibility, does the character just roll one die to calculate the bonus, or does he roll 3 (2 normal dice (to account for the roll and the UP), and a die with a minimum of 10 (to account for the villain's spent possibility) and add those together to see if the final bonus is lower than the threat's.


With the massive caveats that this isn't an official answer & Deanna's thinking may have evolved since, I did ask more or less this Q during playtesting.

My understanding is that enemy Possibilities aren't re-rolled by the VoNV character (they're spending extra Possibilities when activating the power to "negate" these) but that extra dice from Villain Up conditions would be. If the VoNV PC rolls any 10s or 20s while rolling the new total these generate extra dice as usual, but extra dice from 10s/20s on the Villain's own roll aren't carried over.

Essentially you're generating a whole new total for the Villain, starting from scratch.

e.g. Baron Badass attacks Treehugger Tim on a round with a Villains Up Conflict line.
The Baron rolls a 20 followed by a 7, plus an Up dice of 16, and then spends a Possibility too (cos he's a nasty piece of work) for another 13. Making a total of 56 (+15 bonus)
Tim doesn't like the look of that and activates his VoNV power, which costs 2 Possibilities because the Baron spent a Possibility.
He rolls a 4 on the standard dice plus an Up dice which comes up 10, generating another dice which rolls a 5, for a total of 19 (+6 bonus). Since this is lower than the Baron's roll it replaces it.


Hope that helps (& doesn't turn out to be inadvertantly misleading) :)
Last edited by Wotan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitchfinder General

Badger3d
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby Badger3d » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Wotan wrote:
Essentially you're generating a whole new total for the Villain, starting from scratch.

e.g. Baron Badass attacks Treehugger Tim on a round with a Villains Up Conflict line.
The Baron rolls a 20 followed by a 7, plus an Up dice of 16, and then spends a Possibility too (cos he's a nasty piece of work) for another 13. Making a total of 56 (+15 bonus)
Tim doesn't like the look of that and activates his VoNV power, which costs 2 Possibilities because the Baron spent a Possibility.
He rolls a 4 on the standard dice plus an Up dice which comes up 10, generating another dice which rolls a 5, for a total of 19 (+6 bonus). Since this is lower than the Baron's roll it replaces it.


Hope that helps (& doesn't turn out to be inadvertantly misleading) :)


Helps a lot, spending 2 possibilities surprised me, I didn’t realize you could use this to counter the spent possibility, expensive but sometimes worth it.

What about the line “ However, any test to make a physical attack suffers a -2 penalty.” how does that come into the outcome? -2 to the final bonus so +4 in the Baron’s reroll example?

User avatar
Wotan
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Aysle (UK)

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby Wotan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:10 pm

Badger3d wrote:What about the line “ However, any test to make a physical attack suffers a -2 penalty.” how does that come into the outcome? -2 to the final bonus so +4 in the Baron’s reroll example?

I don't think the -2 on physical attacks comes into re-rolling opponent's totals at all, but to be fair I never asked about this section of the Perk as the intent looked pretty clear to me in context. (Which isn't to say that my reading is correct, just that I never bothered Deanna with Qs about it. *shrug*)

FWIW, my reading is that this is a -2 penalty on any Physical Attacks made by the VoNV character, cos they're squeamish about hurting others, i.e. it's an entirely separate aspect of the Perk from the re-rolling of opponent's dice.
Glitchfinder General

Badger3d
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby Badger3d » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:22 am

Ah, so the -2 is in effect whether they spend a possibility or not, makes the perk much better.

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Vow of nonViolence

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:05 am

Wotan wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:I'm thinking his main question is if the threat rolls multiple dice (due to UPs, possibilities, etc.), But not counting roll-agains caused by 10s and 20s, does the character roll the same amount of dice or just the one (with possible roll again from 10s/20s) to generate the bonus

So if the threat has an UP on the conflict line and spends a possibility, does the character just roll one die to calculate the bonus, or does he roll 3 (2 normal dice (to account for the roll and the UP), and a die with a minimum of 10 (to account for the villain's spent possibility) and add those together to see if the final bonus is lower than the threat's.


With the massive caveats that this isn't an official answer & Deanna's thinking may have evolved since, I did ask more or less this Q during playtesting.

My understanding is that enemy Possibilities aren't re-rolled by the VoNV character (they're spending extra Possibilities when activating the power to "negate" these) but that extra dice from Villain Up conditions would be. If the VoNV PC rolls any 10s or 20s while rolling the new total these generate extra dice as usual, but extra dice from 10s/20s on the Villain's own roll aren't carried over.

Essentially you're generating a whole new total for the Villain, starting from scratch.

e.g. Baron Badass attacks Treehugger Tim on a round with a Villains Up Conflict line.
The Baron rolls a 20 followed by a 7, plus an Up dice of 16, and then spends a Possibility too (cos he's a nasty piece of work) for another 13. Making a total of 56 (+15 bonus)
Tim doesn't like the look of that and activates his VoNV power, which costs 2 Possibilities because the Baron spent a Possibility.
He rolls a 4 on the standard dice plus an Up dice which comes up 10, generating another dice which rolls a 5, for a total of 19 (+6 bonus). Since this is lower than the Baron's roll it replaces it.


Hope that helps (& doesn't turn out to be inadvertantly misleading) :)


This is correct.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America


Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests