What does a Torg Eternity Ninja look like?

Zackzenobi

Re: What does a Torg Eternity Ninja look like?

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:27 am

Well Torg Eternity is a Cinematic Game. :D

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:55 am

Maybe a ninja who is a Kappa and grew up in the sewers of Tokyo to hide from authorities and others who wouldn’t understand them.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

cloudshaper2k

Postby cloudshaper2k » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:00 am

Wakshani wrote:Depends on if you want a COOL ninja or a REALISTIC ninja.

Cool ninjas flip out and kill people ALL TEH TIME. They probably talk about codes of honor, which should sound weird coming from people who sneak into houses to assassinate people, but, you know … HONOR! They probably have a bajillion cool fighting techniques and actually aren't all that good at sneaking... after all, if you sneak, you can't fight! And fighting is what you do BEST!

I think we should call that the 'Hollywood Ninja'.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:30 am

Mika, Gargoyle's ninja posted earlier, was totally a Stealth-based ninja and she was awesome and looked like fun to play. That Stalker Perk was cool - one of those things that edges up on abusive in the right hands (and Mika definitely had the right hands!) but not quite crossing the line given that there are many ways to edge up to it like that. (It was not, for example, the equivalent of like, 20 Perks all at once.) She definitely didn't seem boring to me.

And we had her right next to a Nile based, dare I say, Super Cool Ninja. (Her martial arts were represented by Blast Ray; Wound Self on Mishap, Touch Range Only, and Loud!, for 15 base damage and Small Blast radius. I just loved the image of this tiny Strength-5 girl literally tossing people around, and often breaking them in the process. Well, except she was a hero, so she opted for non-lethal damage.) She thought she was sneaky, but absolutely wasn't, and yes, was very intent on the idea of Ninja Honor and all that. She was a lot of fun, and it was so much fun having them next to each other, but they both worked and they had very different Feels.

Torg itself is a Cinematic game, but to me, as Savioronedge was saying, the over-the-top characters like that are mostly a Nile thing. Pan-Pacifica is the most gritty-and-realistic cosm - moreso even than Core Earth, almost as if it's sucked the magic out of everything.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 am

utsukushi wrote:Mika, Gargoyle's ninja posted earlier, was totally a Stealth-based ninja and she was awesome and looked like fun to play. That Stalker Perk was cool - one of those things that edges up on abusive in the right hands (and Mika definitely had the right hands!) but not quite crossing the line given that there are many ways to edge up to it like that. (It was not, for example, the equivalent of like, 20 Perks all at once.) She definitely didn't seem boring to me.

I would agree with all that. If I had to create her again, I'd give her higher Mind and my first XP would go to get Situational Awareness. The problem with her is that she's "frontloaded" in a scene. Because of reliance on Stalker, she's really going to only shine in the first round or two of a scene. If the GM is good, that means she'll have some ords in her way to put down. It's possible she could get lucky and put a serious dent in a p-rated villain in round one. Balance wasn't the problem though, it's more pacing. Torg is designed so that the first couple of rounds feel hard. As you get cards in your pool, it gets easier and you come back and are a badass. It's my favorite aspect of the game that tension then overcoming it. So while she was fun, it wasn't the type of character I'd really want to play long term. If I could use Stalker more, like in the middle of a scene with smoke pellets, that would have been more fun. But those are fairly limited, not quite the "Batman" effect I wanted. Might be room for an improved smoke pellet, maybe from a perk. I'd love to see Stalker reprinted in the PP book with a "Batman" style perk as the next one in a chain.

I didn't like her reliance on Wealthy, but I felt like it was the only way to take advantage of being Tech 24 without breaking the rules or spirit of the game regarding gear. I honestly feel that the ninja archetype deserves an Ion Gosoku style perk package in PP but I don't think U.S. is going in that direction for them and is focusing on samurai instead.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Gargoyle wrote:I didn't like her reliance on Wealthy, but I felt like it was the only way to take advantage of being Tech 24 without breaking the rules or spirit of the game regarding gear. I honestly feel that the ninja archetype deserves an Ion Gosoku style perk package in PP but I don't think U.S. is going in that direction for them and is focusing on samurai instead.

Do Ion Gusoku with Chameleon Plates to give you a stealth bonus. Make the armor black and cyber-ninja-ish, like this:

For flavor call it an “Electric Ninja” and make it an offshoot of the Electric Samurai scene. Honestly every single add-on to the Ion Gusoku is perfect for a high tech ninja; a HUD that helps you shoot in darkness, a flash of light to blind enemies, a sheathe that zaps people who grab you to help you escape, extra light alloys... The only downside is the Dex 10 limitation but really 10 is still respectable. I think an Electric Ninja archetype based around Ion Gusoku would be great in the PP book.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:27 pm

That could work. The character I posted was the wife of an Ion Gosoku samurai and her secret order was sworn to protect the samurai when they got in over their heads and to do the dirty work of assassination and sabotage when required, so thematically they were much like a covert branch of the electric samurai. I initially thought about going this way then figured plexiflex would be more appropriate. But TBH plexiflex is OP anyway, and you're right about the options being "ninja appropriate".

The idea of a ninja not based on combat though, more trickery and disguise, wearing what looks like normal clothing, would be nice.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:58 pm

I’d divide them into “tech ninja” and “corporate spy”. The latter might be effectively a ninja, with martial arts and heavy stealth, and maybe a new Perk that lets them use common objects as melee or thrown weapons. Like, a pen could be a Str+1 AP 1 melee weapon, or a Str+1 Range 5/10/15 missile weapon.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

I made a corporate ninja. Well, kind of. He was Pan Pacifica for certain. He had skills in Stealth and Computers and Find. More importantly, he was psychic. Mind Sense lets you know where human guards would be lurking, and Psychometry is a great way to figure out someone’s password. He was crap at combat though, relying on never getting caught and talking his way out if he did. Didn’t go the Read Mind route, but he surely would’ve if he didn’t transform into a Nile mathematician first.

Frankly, I think having a ninja going against type would be cool. If I were to ever do a backer archetype, Gunnar Olsen, Swedish ninja, could be in the running.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Now, if you wanted fun, you *could* cobble up a Corporate Ninja, that was all Pan-Pacifica and high tech, and *also* a "Traditional Ninja" who was from Core Earth, using more natural methods.

They are, obviously, natural rivals...

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”