Intimidating Mobs/Crowds

Kuildeous

Re: Intimidating Mobs/Crowds

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:I mean you could just say the other ones were further back and didn't see/hear clearly. What the player decides for rules purposes and what the character are trying to are not necessarily the same thing.

Pretty much that. It’s not that you’re deciding that you want to make 5/6 of the group run away. The Storm Knight probably is being very intimidating. Or tricky. Or infuriating. Or slippery. But those moves only have a mechanical effect based on the player’s decision independent of what the character's desires.

I like the idea of better results yielding more targets, but that doesn’t jive with the current model of taking penalties based on the number of actions/targets before rolling. Is there a way to make it jive? Perhaps there is a house rule that can reach middle ground.

Like, maybe each additional success level increases the affected targets by 2x. To be fair, it uses a lesser effect. So for example, say you’re intimidating 3 mooks. Then your options are:
Standard: S/Vthe 3 mooks.
Good: VS/VV the 3 mooks OR V/S the 3 mooks + 3 additional
Outstanding: Player’s Call the 3 mooks OR VS/VV the 3 mooks + 3 additional

At first I was thinking of keeping it at Outstanding because that’s the limit of combat too. When someone suggested adding +1BD for each 5 beyond Outstanding, it was pointed out that there would be an imbalance between attack skills and interaction skills, which have a cap. Perhaps if each 5 beyond Outstanding gave interaction skills another doubling of targets, then that is more in line with the oft-proposed rule of letting attack skills go beyond Outstanding.

Hmm, this is an interesting concept. I’d have to weigh the impact of multi-target penalties and doubling. I suspect there’s a sweet spot that makes it an obvious choice, which can make interaction skills vs. mobs kind of boring. But this could possibly benefit players who take a penalty and players who roll exceptionally well.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 pm

You know, the thought that occurred to me following the discussion, is that spells and powers don't work any better against mobs. If you want to debuff a whole mob, you generally have to multi-target. So this isn't just about Interaction Attacks, its about mobs in general.

From that perspective, I feel a little better about the idea I've been working with that Stymie or Vulnerable on a member of mob only affects that member, and either has no effect on a mob they are part of or they split off from the mob. It does mean that you won't generally use Interaction Attacks on mobs, but since you don't use spells on them either, that's not as big of a penalty as I was thinking it would be. They main reason I've even thought of it as an issue at all is that characters that are based around Interaction Attacks can't participate in a mob-heavy battle as well as characters who just physically attack. But since spellcasters that don't have area-effect spells suffer the same issue, it's probably okay. Mobs of mooks are weak (and I don't let anything with Wounds become a mob). Saying that you're effectively limited to physically taking them out is probably a way for warrior types to shine in mook battles.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 am

Re: Whirlwind, ignore first 2 points of Multitarget penalties with Melee attack;

Proposed:
Loud and Obnoxious: Ignore first 2 points MTP in Taunt
Scaaaarey: ↑ but Intimidate
Kevin! : ↑↑ but Trick

I don't off the ToMH know if there is an enhanced Whirlwind, but make the enhanced proposed Perks equivalent or start them with:

Daffy: Prerequisite Scaaaarey; May Use the Combined Action table to calculate Multitarget penalties for Intimidate instead the normal penalty. Benefit of Prerequisite only applies if using normal penalty.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 am

Savioronedge wrote:Re: Whirlwind, ignore first 2 points of Multitarget penalties with Melee attack;

Proposed:
Loud and Obnoxious: Ignore first 2 points MTP in Taunt
Scaaaarey: ↑ but Intimidate
Kevin! : ↑↑ but Trick

I don't off the ToMH know if there is an enhanced Whirlwind, but make the enhanced proposed Perks equivalent or start them with:

Daffy: Prerequisite Scaaaarey; May Use the Combined Action table to calculate Multitarget penalties for Intimidate instead the normal penalty. Benefit of Prerequisite only applies if using normal penalty.

There's a Perk (Clear the Room) that does this in the Player's Beta Primer.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”