Bonus Die Shorthand (dE)

carldot34

Re: Bonus Die Shorthand (dE)

Postby carldot34 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:26 pm

We could refer to it as a d5+. That wouldn't confuse it with anything else.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:10 pm

carldot34 wrote:We could refer to it as a d5+. That wouldn't confuse it with anything else.

I was just about to say that.

Sure, someone may confuse it with a d5, but the + really makes it stand out.

I'm just not used to an exploding d6 where I'm not adding to 6. The symbol may help with that mindset.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:09 pm

I was pointed to the Roll20 die commands by dev/null, and there the command for rolling what amounts to an Eternity die is "/roll 1d6!p". You can change it to 2d6!p for Outstanding success. The "p" comes from a version of Shadowrun where they use the same mechanic for penetrating dice.

The only weird thing about this convention on Roll20 is that when the die explodes, it subtracts the 1 from the later die rather than from the initial die. Here's a listing of some of the testing I did on G+:

Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 4.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 3.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 9. [ 6 3 ]
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 5.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 1.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 4.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 6. [ 6 0 ]
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 3.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 2.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 5.
Dominick rolls 1d6!p and gets 15. [ 6 5 4 ]
Dominick rolls 2d6!p and gets 8. [ 5 3 ]
Dominick rolls 2d6!p and gets 10. [ 1 6 3 ]

Notice the seventh roll gets a 6 (E + 1) but lists it as 6 + 0 and third from the end is a double Eternity roll (E + E + 5) but lists it as 6 + 5 + 4. It's still the same result.

It does explosions on several factors: highest possible roll (!), specific rolls (!x, where x is the specific result that generates a reroll), high or low range (!<x for low range or !>x for high range), but does not as yet have the "exactly 10 or 20" that we need for Torg.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Ange Gardien

Postby Ange Gardien » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm

I had just one issue last night while testing Torg at a higher level of play; I think I prefer a damage bonus based on success margin minus 2 (it's a bit more gory). Or at least, I think I would like letting the pcs decide : rolling D6E or choosing margin minus 2.
Because it was a bit frustrating to get a +14 success margin and see those two dices only roll 2 and 3.
I thought about it a lot while I was Gming and let the players reroll the first 1 or 2 when they had a really good success.
I dunno. We had a lot of +8 or +9 success margin too, and I felt that only a single D6 rolling 2 or 3 was a bit unfair.
I'll have to try the rules raw several times again before deciding. It does not prevent the perks or the cards giving a D6 bonus. It's just players do like rolling high score with a small margin (I get it) but seem frustrated when the two dices are very low.

Loswaith

Postby Loswaith » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Best bet for the Die is likely just go with dE, players that read the rules are going to have to get used to the symbol notation in the rules anyway. If there is some glossary of terms in the rule-book (I've not finished reading it yet), it may be worth including it (the 'dE') as an optional notation in that too.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 am

The rulebook has gone to +1BD and +2BD. That's the official shorthand it seems.

As far as people blowing the attack roll out of the park, you could remind them that vital blow is a thing. Take that -4 to do +4 damage on top of the +2BD if you're always rolling significantly higher.

Unless you already are, in which case I got nuttin'.

I kind of wondered what it would be like to just roll +1BD for every 5 points you beat the defense. I'm sure that's been considered by the designers and rejected with good reason. That may not stop me from trying it though.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Loswaith

Postby Loswaith » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 am

I had a similar curiosity but on the other end. In that why isn't damage at a basic success a bit lower with a bonus die, then growing the bonus die each time, so as there is some variability in damage even if you just hit rather than that basic hit being all static values.

Would have been great for that barely hit your target, but slaughtered them because that die for damage just wouldn't stop exploding 8-)

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:49 am

Bonus dice were meant to be special.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 am

Thank you for getting rid of the yin-yang-sperm symbol. That made me snicker every time I saw it.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

Loswaith

Postby Loswaith » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:37 am

TorgHacker wrote:Bonus dice were meant to be special.

Thanks for the clarification.

For me the factor that it is an exploding d6 that also allows all results (due to the 5+ of the 6th side) is what makes them special and the possibility of getting those chains of explosions.

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”