Preview #6 - Spells, Miracles, and Psionics

TorgHacker

Preview #6 - Spells, Miracles, and Psionics

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 am

Here you can discuss our latest preview, this time on spells, miracles, and psionics.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... -psionics/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Plageman

Re: Preview #6 - Spells, Miracles, and Psionics

Postby Plageman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:58 am

I like the way the new systems are "unified" yet have different Cosms flavor, especially the Orrorsh Backlash :twisted:

BTW is there a limitation factor for Perks acquisition ?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am

Nope, no limit to the number of Perks you can acquire.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 am

Always glad to see a backlash mechanic in magic systems. I always liked that it was possible in OTorg to succeed at a spell but still take backlash. I hope that certain powerful effects in Torg Eternity have a built-in backlash that perhaps is nullified only on an Outstanding success.

I'm actually rather glad for the removal of conflict of faith. Though the mechanic was interesting and demonstrated the spiritual struggle of two competing religious aspects, it stymied the game. It was possible to do more damage than you healed. Eventually, it was just easier if everyone in the group converted to that one faith, which harmed the fun in diversity.

Now that we can see samples of the print layout, I'm going to be honest and say I'm not that thrilled with the notation of the eternity die. It's just a gut reaction, and it wouldn't bother me if you kept it. Just saying that the aesthetic of the notation just didn't look good to me.

And then there's still the question of how we can refer to it in forums since that symbol is not part of a standard keyboard. I think I may still like +dE, but I'm not sold either way.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 am

Kuildeous wrote:Always glad to see a backlash mechanic in magic systems. I always liked that it was possible in OTorg to succeed at a spell but still take backlash. I hope that certain powerful effects in Torg Eternity have a built-in backlash that perhaps is nullified only on an Outstanding success.

It wouldn't be anything in the general system, but I could easily see that being the case for individual spells, etc.

I'm actually rather glad for the removal of conflict of faith. Though the mechanic was interesting and demonstrated the spiritual struggle of two competing religious aspects, it stymied the game. It was possible to do more damage than you healed. Eventually, it was just easier if everyone in the group converted to that one faith, which harmed the fun in diversity.

Also, no automatic conversion or such.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 am

I disagree with the idea of including the four magic skill in Orrorsh. I think that only the Occult should be available there (but it should be usable unskilled. The Gaunt Man wants people to play with this stuff). Also, the four skills represent "scientific" magic. You can learn this type of magic at Hogwarts or the Aylish equivalent. Knowing some or all of these skills means you have a real handle on magic. You get how and why it works.

That shouldn't be true in Orrorsh. Magic there is personal and it's guessing in the dark. Every Occult event (not spell, event) is different. The event you used to speak to murder victim Horatio Alger should be different from the one you use to speak to his now dead killer. Moreover, there should be "backlash" in using the Occult but it shouldn't be a standardize "you take 2 shock" kind of thing. It should be more "yeah, apparently when you raised up Alger's zombie to talk to him, you didn't put him down right. Now he prowls the night seeking to feed his need for the flesh of the living..."

Meanwhile, based on the Psionic example, does this mean that Strength/Toughness is the only damage resistance stats? We're not going to have mental damage resisted by Mind or Spiritual damage resisted by Spirit? It will simplify things. I remember in one campaign we had a Coar Akashan with Psychic Assault who was just an absolute Reaper in the Living Land against those dinosaurs things because they had very low Minds.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:01 pm

johntfs wrote:Meanwhile, based on the Psionic example, does this mean that Strength/Toughness is the only damage resistance stats? We're not going to have mental damage resisted by Mind or Spiritual damage resisted by Spirit? It will simplify things. I remember in one campaign we had a Coar Akashan with Psychic Assault who was just an absolute Reaper in the Living Land against those dinosaurs things because they had very low Minds.

Yes. Those with strong minds will have high Mind or Spirit and/or willpower and will be harder to affect because of that. But once it _is_ through, it's Toughness that matters, at least for how much damage you actually take.

And then your mental toughness comes in again because your Shock limit is based on Spirit.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 pm

OK, let's see what we have here:

No arcane knowledges detected. Thus the Principle of Definition no longer has anything to act upon, although my Principle of Opposition seems to have survived to a degree. Does this mean the end of the idea that magical darkness and light coexist, leading to my positing of the existence of Ayslish tenebrons (darkness particles created by magic)?

Casting times listed in Actions instead of Rounds. Does this mean that someone who can do multiple actions in a round can cast multiple spells?

Enhance says that a Good success increases the bonus "by +4". Should that be "to +4" or is it that the spell can do +2 or +6 but not +4? Also, given the fact that the average of a dE is 4, maybe increasing it by a dE is just as good as increasing it by +4.

For Improvised Apportation, is the concentration applicable for the casting, or does it start after the spell is complete? Also, how long does the spell need to be in effect for the listed work to be completed?

The Healing miracle is now standardized as a 1 Action casting time prayer (using the OTorg terminology) as opposed to a 1-hour ritual. Also, it says that each Wound may be treated once per day. Does that mean that an attack that deals multiple Wounds can be treated more than once?

I disagree with the idea of including the four magic skill in Orrorsh. I think that only the Occult should be available there (but it should be usable unskilled. The Gaunt Man wants people to play with this stuff). Also, the four skills represent "scientific" magic. You can learn this type of magic at Hogwarts or the Aylish equivalent. Knowing some or all of these skills means you have a real handle on magic. You get how and why it works.

I will admit that I share the belief that OTorg portrayed the magic skills as a "scientific" magic system where you insert values into the variables and got a result within a range based on your skill and luck with the spell die rolls. However, until we know what is being planned for the spell design system, we can't say for certain that the magic skills as listed can't handle occult magic.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Also now we can see that there are still shock damage AND wounds. Not any Ks and Os so far, which is a good thing to me.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 pm

carldot34 wrote:Also now we can see that there are still shock damage AND wounds. Not any Ks and Os so far, which is a good thing to me.

It wouldn't bother me either way. The goal of the KO mechanic was to give players the chance to disable the borr aka without having to deal 40+ shock.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Return to “Rules Questions (TORG)”