Philadelphia hardpoint

Zackzenobi

Philadelphia hardpoint

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Is there any official word on how large the Philadelphia hardpoints are and how much of the city is under Core Earth axioms?

TorgHacker

Re: Philadelphia hardpoint

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:29 pm

As big as you need it. :-)

Hardpoints can actually change size, so it can vary as much as you want. Generally though, Philly's hardpoint is a bit on the smaller side (based on the Liberty Bell) but still large enough to be noted on large scale maps.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:53 pm

I *think* that there's more than just it as well. I know it was a STRONG one, but, at least in oTorg, there were several other smaller ones in the area that made for an overlapping series of bubbles that covered much of the city.

Dunno if that's still the case, of course.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:02 pm

DC yes. Philly, no.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:05 am

I understand that as the war goes on, Hardpoints shrink due to the pressure of the invading reality. But, a Hardpoint would never grow in size right?

Also, I'm guessing Liberty Bell would 1/3 to 1/2 of downtown? But I'm not familiar with Philly. Does that seem reasonable to anyone who is?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

Hardpoints can grow in size.
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 am

What causes Hardpoints to grow in size? I don't remember hearing this before.

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:09 am

Hardpoints can grow if they have enough defenders who reinforce their reality. Very important for places like Paris, London and Jerusalem (not sure how many Core Earth forces are defending Washington or Silicon Valley).

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

Zackzenobi wrote:What causes Hardpoints to grow in size? I don't remember hearing this before.

I haven't either, not in so many words, but it makes sense. Hardpoints are directly proportional to the belief of surrounding living beings (mostly ords).
Torg Eternity Rulebook wrote:The radius of effect depends on the belief living beings of the cosm have imbued in it over time, and to some degree, its sheer mass

Even ords have a tiny amount of possibility energy before the invaders strip it away, so it makes sense when they and Storm Knights gather around a hardpoint like Philadelphia to survive it would grow. Most hardpoints wouldn't have the chance as the invaders target them, but some hold out (as the story requires...what would be most interesting?).

That section of the book goes on to say that even an inert hardpoint can be re-activated by the beliefs of those who continue to fight, so that's a more direct reference to a hardpoint growing...from being completely turned off to active again due to belief in the hardpoint's reality.
"That old chestnut?"

James Garr

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:36 am

As I understand it, the size and rate of growth/decay of a hardpoint are measured in terms of plot. Is it interesting to the plot for the hardpoint to be really huge or really small? If your story has the Philadelphia hardpoint shrinking, then perhaps the Storm Knights have a mission to find or do something inspirational. Maybe an Eternity Shard can help stabilize the hardpoint. If your story has the hardpoint growing, then the Storm Knights can be in charge of leading a group of Core Earthers through the jungle to help bolster the hardpoint.

An interesting side effect of the fluctuating hardpoint is that it makes outposts and patrols dangerous business. You have a couple of Ords patrolling the perimeter and suddenly they transform as the circle shrinks and they're caught outside the hardpoint. Storm Knights would be better options for patrolling the perimeter, but Storm Knights usually have more important things to do.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”