Help me to like Pan Pacifica

Kuildeous

Re: Help me to like Pan Pacifica

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 pm

I finally got around to playing Deus Ex. I'm still in the middle of it, but the storyline (spoiler for a 17-year-old game) involves a plague infecting much of the world. There is a cure, but only the rich and powerful can get it. There simply is not enough cure.

Or so they say. There's enough hinting that the "Gray Death" is spread by the same government that's hoarding the cure. I'm viewing this computer game pretty much Pan Pacifica in story but Cyberpapcy in tech.

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed the video RamblingScribe :)

Cyberpapacy is going to be off the charts ;)

ETStorm

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:14 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:I guess I'm having trouble seeing how to blend high tech conspiracy and espionage with apocalyptic zombie survival horror.

They're not zombies. At the infection stage they're even still alive. Even Jiangshi are mostly related to vampires (although jiangshi don't consume life essense any more than the infected consume brains). The threat is the infection, one of health. It's dystopian fear, not apocalyptic horror.

They are directly part of the high-tech conspiracy. Something public and obvious to put on TV to distract from any news stories about people giving up religion and tradition, of companies being purchased and reorganized by suddenly active and unfamiliar power-players, where whistle blowers are silenced and disappeared. The public outbreaks can disrupt the pattern of people in positions of power, both in governments and large corporations, being suddenly ousted by scandal and betrayal and deadly "accidents." They are a front to enact martial law and hide the totalitarian movement that is consolidating power behind the scene. Absolutely nothing about them is strong enough to prove a true threat to the status quo.

Without them, Kanawa would be facing public protests, and those can be empathized with. Even though they can also be dealt with violently, it doesn't make for great news, and greatly risks turning public perception against the powerful. Protests would be difficult for many PP states to manage, it's rarely easy to make it appear as the violence is coming from the people instead of armed police or military. On top of that, PP has a higher social axiom, which practically eliminates violent handling of protests as a go-to tactic. But if instead of young and vulnerable people promoting their political rights, we have ravenous infected cannibals, then it's pretty much open season. They don't have to worry about being too aggressive, and the danger will keep most people off the streets and from gathering in public.

Like TorgHacker said, this is also the first stage. Later stages could very much be closer to Tetsuo or even weirder and more varied. But the infected are a result of industry and society, not a threat to it. It's a threat to the common people, first, and those who believe they can hold power and not embrace the new regime, second.

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Okay, apocalyptic vampire survival horror, if that makes a difference. Honestly, though, so far the developmental stages of jiangshi look just like the zombies in Zombicide to me. I will admit that I think of the creatures in "I Am Legend" as fast zombies rather than vampires. And any science-based zombies almost always have an infected stage where the host is still alive. It's kind of splitting hairs to say they aren't zombies.

I completely get the conspiracy angle. I just wish the conspiracy-generated crisis wasn't an undead horror, when we have so many. And you are right, PP has a higher social axiom. Why not a psionic mutant crisis?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:
I completely get the conspiracy angle. I just wish the conspiracy-generated crisis wasn't an undead horror, when we have so many. And you are right, PP has a higher social axiom. Why not a psionic mutant crisis?

:twisted:
Dean Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:48 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
RamblingScribe wrote:

:twisted:

Honestly, that makes me so happy. :D

Blightcrawler

Postby Blightcrawler » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:I completely get the conspiracy angle. I just wish the conspiracy-generated crisis wasn't an undead horror, when we have so many. And you are right, PP has a higher social axiom. Why not a psionic mutant crisis?

How do you know it's not? The psi's in the realm are called psionic mutations for a reason. It will take a bit to get to Akira.

Though I'm with you on the undead horror. Which is one reason my mind is dead set on it's not zombies (and they're only vampires colloquially).

Okay, apocalyptic vampire survival horror, if that makes a difference.

Since they're not apocalyptic or hard to survive, it doesn't make much of difference. :D

I feel they're mostly something for Storm Knights to fight at random (ie: card played intervals) without making them public enemies overnight. If I run in PP, my plan is to make them occasional background menaces, mostly atmosphere, mainly appearing when a card says so. Rarely as a part of the plot or specific obstacles.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:I feel they're mostly something for Storm Knights to fight at random (ie: card played intervals) without making them public enemies overnight. If I run in PP, my plan is to make them occasional background menaces, mostly atmosphere, mainly appearing when a card says so. Rarely as a part of the plot or specific obstacles.

Yeah, it's too bad that they're so prominent in the Day One adventure. The way I see it, by the "regular" starting date of ~three months into the Wars, the jiangshi threat has been mostly contained thanks to Kanawa, and mainly serves as an explanation for why these countries would hand over so much control to a corporation - particularly North Korea, which isn't exactly known for its dedication to capitalism.

So it's basically "Oh crap! It's a zombie apocalypse!" "No worries, we fixed it. And now we own you as payment for doing so." with occasional outbreaks as reminders for the states not to get too complacent.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 pm

I know I'm way late getting in on the conversation here, but I'm kind-of in the same boat. I can do the survival-horror thing (and have done it in the one session I've run in PP so far), but Cyberpapacy is the best place for dystopian near future. For me, I want PP to be a little more eutopian near future (at least on the surface) with a lot of intrigue. As I've said before, I wish it was a place to let my characters go Bonding about.

My solution to that, I think, is going to be to create a pocket cosm that satisfies my high-tech spy thriller inclinations - something related to PP somewhere in Europe. A Monte Carlo type environment with a larger than life egomaniac bent on world domination. He may or may not have a pet cat.

Again...I respect the design choice and can lean into it/have fun with it just fine.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”