The Delphi Council authority?

fougerec

The Delphi Council authority?

Postby fougerec » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 pm

A question that came up...well actually two.

1) Does the Delphi Council have any actual authority? i.e. can the characters say "we're on council business" to requisition vehicles, manpower etc.
2) If so, do they have badges or similar?

I'm just trying to figure out how they fit into a global war effort and how much authority the characters can have over the local level. I'm totally cool with it being GM call but figured I would check to see if there's default.

Spatula

Re: The Delphi Council authority?

Postby Spatula » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

In oTorg they definitely did have the authority and badges. It seems like in TE the answer is "probably yes" in the US and up to whoever the PCs are talking to elsewhere. From pages 19-20 of the core rules:

"Established by the United States President Jonathan Wells, the Delphi Council is an emergency task force with the blessing of most of the United Nations’ members.

Quinn... knows the Delphi Council must produce some real victories before the surviving superpowers grant the power and finances he really needs to win the war. The United States has given Quinn no more power than any other nation, but the military is fond of him... The US Navy has granted [Quinn] a private office and access to air transport off the coast of New York City aboard the USS Ronald Reagan."

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm definitely playing this up as drama dictates.

Is it cool for them to demand a tank from the German government? That bureaucrat recognizes the authority of the Delphi Council.

Is it amusing for the Libyan government to get in the Storm Knights' way while Doctor Mayhem escapes into Nile Empire? Then that happens.

Of course, the government itself can be a determining factor. The US and free Europe likely would accept the Delphi Council while eastern Europe and some African nations would be suspicious. But even then, a desperate Switzerland might capitulate to the Cyberpapacy and hinder the Delphi Council while China might become a powerful ally once it learns the source of the jiangshi.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Kuildeous wrote:I'm definitely playing this up as drama dictates.

That's how I see it.

By default though, my thinking for a default is that at the 90 day point the Delphi Council has some official authority with what's left of the US and Western Europe governments, and their allies (which might include nations that they weren't allied with before the war, not sure yet). It would also include corporations like the Rauru block and perhaps some religious factions like the Vatican and Sacellum. I see them as being treated neutrally elsewhere in Core Earth. Getting influence elsewhere might require some heroics on the part of the Storm Knights. Might be interesting to track that in a loose fashion; as the war goes on, maybe a Glory in Core Earth could help solidify DC authority in an African nation or with the Hong Kong hardpoint. Might make Glories in Core Earth more interesting.

You could make a small system for it. Perhaps the reputation of the DC could start as Neutral in most Core Earth areas, and with Glories and successful missions it could improve to Friendly or Allied, with Friendly regions offering aid as long as it doesn't require risk or great cost, and Allied regions offering aid at great cost or risk. Major screw ups like failing to protect innocents or pulling stelae without a glory, or other criminal acts could result in a loss of reputation, resulting in Unfriendly or Enemy regions. Unfriendly regions would help the invaders at low cost or risk, while Enemy regions would be fully allied with an enemy realm. Propaganda campaigns and bribery could shift reputation in an area too, perhaps temporarily.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 pm

I see this as the reason (or at least part of it) that "purchasing" is done by persuasion rolls: the PCs are trying to convince the supplier that the Council has the authority (and the funds) to acquire the desired item, and that the PCs are authorized by the council.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to play up that the Council is a UN sanctioned special task force. May be a bit influenced by playing a bunch of X-Com 2 lately...

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm

fougerec wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to play up that the Council is a UN sanctioned special task force. May be a bit influenced by playing a bunch of X-Com 2 lately...

Yeah, I think the UN angle is a good one, there should probably be some alignment there.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fuldry

Postby fuldry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

Kuildeous wrote:But even then, a desperate Switzerland might capitulate to the Cyberpapacy and hinder the Delphi Council while China might become a powerful ally once it learns the source of the jiangshi.

I would trust my country to be as callous as it was during WW2 and find ways to lend money, sell weapons and store stolen goods for all sides of the conflict.

I doubt Switzerland would straight away capitulate. It would reinstate heavy controls at borders and gladly sell all stormknights to the highest bidder. After all, it's not a secret that during WW2 jews that were caught less than 30 kms of the borders would be directly sent back. That covers quite a big chunk of the country...

Trust a swiss to bash his own country :shock:
François

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

I was thinking that one of the things that could help expand and explore this topic would be to catalogue and clarify the Delphi Councils connections and contacts.

A good baseline would be to identify the DC's affiliations with the invading Cosm's. Obviously, Lady Pella Ardinay of Aysle and Lt. General Reginald A.B. Huxley of the Victorians have a direct link with the DC, but who is the DC's main contact in the French resistance against the Cyberpapacy? Did I miss the mention of a hero team from Terra that crossed over to save Core Earth? What tribe of Edeinos is handing over info to the authorities in America? Do the psychics of Tharkold have any organization at all? Who dares reveal themselves to be from Gokuraku?

I'd really like to get to the meat of these resistance cells and how the DC has integrated them into their Network. Sure I like the room for a GM to invent these things but I also like a common denominator to base it off of.

As an extension, I would like to see the Core Earth affiliations such as the UN, Interpol, NATO or other alphabets they would most likely get intel and aid from.

ETS GM

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”