Delphi Counsel and Eternity Shards

FrankG

Delphi Counsel and Eternity Shards

Postby FrankG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Am I crazy, lazy, or bad at searching?

I swear I read somewhere that Storm Knights working for the Delphi Counsel are under orders to relinquish an Eternity Shards found to the Counsel and you could request them (with the normal Gear Request Rules) for future use. But now I can't find that anywhere.

TorgHacker

Re: Delphi Counsel and Eternity Shards

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Yeah, that's one of those things that was supposed to be in the core book but fell through the cracks. It'll be explicitly mentioned in the FAQ, it's more explicit in the Living Land book and even MORE explicit in the Nile Empire book:

"Eternity Shards are very powerful artifacts and the game could get out of hand if the players end up collecting and keeping multiple Eternity Shards. The intent of these items is to provide a McGuffin for the heroes to pursue but also to provide an occasional ‘cool thing’ for the Storm Knights to use, but not for the heroes to become walking artifact wielders.

We recommend that the GM to explain this to the players up front."

They can't really be 'requested' like other equipment, but occasionally the DC will provide one anyway.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 pm

And if your players rankle under the concept that they have to give up the sweet, phat loot to the Delphi Council, you could do what I'm trying: Eternity Shards are meant to be shared. If they remain with a group for too long, they start to go dormant. Soon, they become useless until they are given to another group. The Delphi Council with its mission of hope is a perfect vehicle for getting the Eternity Shards into the hands of other groups. So the players may be gifted an Eternity Shard, but it goes dark after about 10 missions and needs to be given back. The DC can ask for it back, and if the PCs refuse, they learn why they have to give it back.

Hoarding Eternity Shards is a High Lord thing to do, and that makes sense because they can use it for a bit and then drain it when their use is expended.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm

I have players who are used to the "take everything not nailed down because it's loot" mentality but once I explained that the Delphi Council represents a global war effort and Eternity Shards are simply resources to be used for that effort it worked out quite well.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:01 pm

fougerec wrote:I have players who are used to the "take everything not nailed down because it's loot" mentality but once I explained that the Delphi Council represents a global war effort and Eternity Shards are simply resources to be used for that effort it worked out quite well.

Yeah, I think explaining it OOC works well. And I explain that Eternity Shards can be more powerful this way.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

FrankG

Postby FrankG » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Kuildeous wrote:If they remain with a group for too long, they start to go dormant. Soon, they become useless until they are given to another group. The Delphi Council with its mission of hope is a perfect vehicle for getting the Eternity Shards into the hands of other groups.

I dig that idea quite a bit.

I'm still lamenting the loss of Group Powers :cry:

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”