Spartans in Torg Eternity

JohnK

Spartans in Torg Eternity

Postby JohnK » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Hullo, folks,

One of the things that I always liked in old Torg was the presence of the Spartans, the militia (among other things) of the Delphi Council.

Was just wondering: Do the Spartans exist in Torg Eternity? If so, what's their role in things?

Thanks, in advance. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

ZorValachan

Re: Spartans in Torg Eternity

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm

They dont exist as Spartans, but it was said they were used as inspiration for Storm Break, the group responsible for the Nashville incident.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm

On page 280, there is a mention of the Spartan Division, the military might of the Delphi Council. But ZorValachan is right that these aren't the same Spartans as in oTorg, that role has been taken up by Storm Break. The Spartans in TorgE are good guys.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Hullo, ZorValachan,

ZorValachan wrote:They dont exist as Spartans, but it was said they were used as inspiration for Storm Break, the group responsible for the Nashville incident.

That's interesting. I don't recall hearing or seeing anything about anywhere. Hmm, that offers some possibilities (no pun intended) with the Storm Break being used to take the roll of some Spartans from the old Torg scenarios/adventures...
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Hullo, Gargoyle,

Gargoyle wrote:On page 280, there is a mention of the Spartan Division, the military might of the Delphi Council. But ZorValachan is right that these aren't the same Spartans as in oTorg, that role has been taken up by Storm Break. The Spartans in TorgE are good guys.

That's still one of the things that disappoints me in Torg Eternity, the fact that the Delphi Council (and hence the Spartan Division) are the good guys. What does it say about the fact that Storm Knights in TE need to have all this help from the Delphi Council and their other operatives?

That said, nice to know that Storm Break is taking on the role of the "evil" Spartans from the original (sort of). Means, for now, I can run some of the old Torg scenarios that involved them and that will introduce some of the characters to the Storm Break group.
=====

JohnK

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm

JohnK wrote:That's still one of the things that disappoints me in Torg Eternity, the fact that the Delphi Council (and hence the Spartan Division) are the good guys. What does it say about the fact that Storm Knights in TE need to have all this help from the Delphi Council and their other operatives?

It's just a handwave, really. How did oTorg PCs traverse the globe so easily as a group of unsanctioned heavily-armed mixed-reality troublemakers? The friendly DC gives cover for that, and for the group getting together in the first place, and provides a handy way to deliver missions to the players.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Spatula wrote:
JohnK wrote:That's still one of the things that disappoints me in Torg Eternity, the fact that the Delphi Council (and hence the Spartan Division) are the good guys. What does it say about the fact that Storm Knights in TE need to have all this help from the Delphi Council and their other operatives?

It's just a handwave, really. How did oTorg PCs traverse the globe so easily as a group of unsanctioned heavily-armed mixed-reality troublemakers? The friendly DC gives cover for that, and for the group getting together in the first place, and provides a handy way to deliver missions to the players.

Agree, it 'doesn't make the Possibility Wars a cakewalk, all it does is help us rationalize how they're able to go from place to place and get help when the GM decides it makes the game better. And you can just ignore it or change it easily if you want. I like good guys DC as a default, I know lots of people don't, and that's ok, but I think they've justified this decision pretty well in other posts.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Spatula wrote:

And that's pretty much why we did it that way.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:05 pm

JohnK wrote: What does it say about the fact that Storm Knights in TE need to have all this help from the Delphi Council and their other operatives?

Just how much help the Storm Knights can rely on depends on how the GM wishes to run the game. The Delphi Council could be calling all the shots. Or the Delphi Council lets the group do whatever and gives support where needed. Not many Storm Knights will have their own private plane, and even if they do, good luck convincing various world governments to let you land it there without hassle. The Delphi Council makes the scenario a bit more realistic.

It also means I don't have to have the group track money anymore. I can't believe how much we did that in oTorg. This is so much easier.

I'm okay with the Delphi Council today. The Spartans are still there; they just have a different name. You have to have the villainous Core Earthers.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Hullo, Spatula,

Spatula wrote:

Well, in old Torg we never really thought about how characters travelled from Aysle to the Living Land, or from Orrorsh to the Cyberpapacy. It was handled more often the way travel was shown in the Indiana Jones movies, with the route being traced on a map. I don't know whether one needs to do more than that, unless one plans some sort of encounter during the travel itself, but I do understand why the change to the Delphi Council has been made.
=====

JohnK

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”