getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

TorgHacker

Re: getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:37 am

Gargoyle wrote:
I noticed in the Aysle video that the D&D influence was emphasized, and I found that interesting. I think my biggest problem with Aysle in oTorg was that it was too much like D&D and it struck me as bland. I would spend several minutes describing each realm, but when it came to Aysle, I would just say "It's the D&D cosm" and they would get it, yawn, and move on. It's convenient, but I think that shortchanges Aysle, even in oTorg, but especially in TorgE.

You'll see more what I mean when you see the Cosm Cards. Also, it's more of a 'dungeon delving/Underdark" D&D feel.

We think it important that there be a cosm other than Core Earth that will feel familiar to people. Also, I'd put it as "D&D + Once Upon a Time". That second part will be more evident once we get to the cosm book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

harermuir

Postby harermuir » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 am

MAJT wrote:
That's why I was hoping for something scarier than 'Darkness Device'.

French name was "obscurificateur" (which is not a real french word, it should means "something that make things darker"). Well, i think you can be happy with darkness device, in fact :)

Including fairy tales in Aysle is a very good idea. I think too that the cosm was missing in flavour comparing to other.

And i will not miss Skippy. But on the other way, the Chuck Norris rippoff introduced in the Living land sourcebook ...
Last edited by harermuir on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:
I noticed in the Aysle video that the D&D influence was emphasized, and I found that interesting. I think my biggest problem with Aysle in oTorg was that it was too much like D&D and it struck me as bland. I would spend several minutes describing each realm, but when it came to Aysle, I would just say "It's the D&D cosm" and they would get it, yawn, and move on. It's convenient, but I think that shortchanges Aysle, even in oTorg, but especially in TorgE.

You'll see more what I mean when you see the Cosm Cards. Also, it's more of a 'dungeon delving/Underdark" D&D feel.

We think it important that there be a cosm other than Core Earth that will feel familiar to people. Also, I'd put it as "D&D + Once Upon a Time". That second part will be more evident once we get to the cosm book.

Looking forward to it. I'll have to watch a few episodes of Once Upon a Time, I've only seen trailers etc, so I don't have a great grasp of it, just a general idea. And I'm not dissing the D&D inspiration, (I love D&D, have played every edition since 1982), I just think as a description I find just saying that it's "the D&D cosm" leaves me cold.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Dean,

There was also mention of a Game of Thrones influence in Aysle. I was hoping to see political intrigue between the houses. Is this still the case?

I think the biggest problem with Aysle in O Torg, was that it lacked an identity. I am really hoping you fix that this time around. I believe with a longer sourcebook this time around, there is a much better chance if that happening.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
Looking forward to it. I'll have to watch a few episodes of Once Upon a Time, I've only seen trailers etc, so I don't have a great grasp of it, just a general idea. And I'm not dissing the D&D inspiration, (I love D&D, have played every edition since 1982), I just think as a description I find just saying that it's "the D&D cosm" leaves me cold.

Fair enough. Perhaps "Underdark" would be better.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Dean,

There was also mention of a Game of Thrones influence in Aysle. I was hoping to see political intrigue between the houses. Is this still the case?

I think the biggest problem with Aysle in O Torg, was that it lacked an identity. I am really hoping you fix that this time around. I believe with a longer sourcebook this time around, there is a much better chance if that happening.

At one point we were going to have a much harder Game of Thrones influence, to the point that we considered moving the Law of Intrigue from Pan-Pacifica to Aysle.

However, we decided against it. Torg is an action/adventure movie/game, not a political drama, so we decided it wasn't a good fit.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Red_Ninja

Postby Red_Ninja » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:43 pm

ProfessorK wrote:It was pretty well established that an edienos that transforms under the Cyber-papal reality becomes an Eideinos under Cyber-papal world laws. Only non-living things physically transform.

I understand this normal for disconnections and ords changing to new realities in a dominate and pures zone, but IIRC in oTorg you could (rarely) have someone physically transform to a cosm native race as a result from a reality storm.
I am not afraid of the storm that comes my way.
When it hits, it shakes me to the core
and makes me stronger than before.
-- "Courtesy Call", Thousand Foot Krutch

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:27 pm

TorgHacker wrote:You'll see more what I mean when you see the Cosm Cards. Also, it's more of a 'dungeon delving/Underdark" D&D feel.

This probably needs its own thread, and I appreciate you can't tell us much yet...

But I'm someone who liked the concept of Aysle, but always felt it needed its own identity more.

I must admit to feeling confused that it's now seemingly the 'dungeoneering' cosm, as you mention 'dungeon delving' and 'underdark' a lot. That seems rather odd, as that wasn't a big part of the original setting as I recall. Folding Land Below into Living Land, Pan Pacifica as the Resident Evil cosm, Core Earth as the 80's action movie cosm... I get all that. But I'm just not feeling the dungeoneering thing for Aysle.

I'd have thought that the good/evil aspect and all those noble houses would have been a fertile ground for treachery and intrigue. Yes, I get that Torg is intended to be a action-movie, not a talky drama, but there are other skills beyond combat ones.

I always assumed Torg was intended to emulate the very best of these movies - Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, rather than the Michael Bay type things which only offer fight scenes and explosions. The best action films have moments that develop character, moral choices and reflection in them too, a chance for an audience to catch it's breath.

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:33 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Hawk Knight wrote:As I understand it a starting character is limited to perks appropriate to their own Cosm. So no psionics for Edeinos, no cyberware for core earthers, no weird science devices for elves, etc. However as PC's gain XP and adventure it will be up to the GM whether they will have opportunity to gain perks from other realities. If you, as a GM, don't want cross cosm characters then it's up to you what perks they can earn.

This is incorrect. The Cosm limits are not just at the start.

I think that's a really good thing. It ties the characters to their reality, instead of having everyone as some Samuel Haight, Nexus-Kaah wannabe.

Providing everyone gets something cool (and you seem to have worked hard to ensure that) I'm happy to see the last of those edienos wizard, pulp-powered, cybernetic ninja werewolf PCs.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Yup. Everyone gets something cool.

Actually one of the coolest things IMO are the Orrorsh medals. There's some awesome flavor possible there.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”