getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

ProfessorK

Re: getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

Postby ProfessorK » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:04 pm

MAJT wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Hawk Knight wrote:As I understand it a starting character is limited to perks appropriate to their own Cosm. So no psionics for Edeinos, no cyberware for core earthers, no weird science devices for elves, etc. However as PC's gain XP and adventure it will be up to the GM whether they will have opportunity to gain perks from other realities. If you, as a GM, don't want cross cosm characters then it's up to you what perks they can earn.

This is incorrect. The Cosm limits are not just at the start.

I think that's a really good thing. .

+1

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 pm

I used Rex Able in my game this evening. I renamed his actor from Chuck Harris to McKinley Forrest, though, because I didn't want him to have a silly name.

(He actually scored a Glory roll steering a humvee clear of an enormous landslide. Dude can drive...)

I did play him for laughs initially, for contrast with his grief when his PA later took a round to the head during a firefight.

"What did you think was going to happen?" our New York Cop yelled at Rex as he sat sobbing in the Living Land mud. "This isn't some happy holiday in the jungle!"

The Spartan bet the cop $50 that Rex would be the first to die. Luckily, Rex had a good PA... ;)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:23 am

TorgHacker wrote:Yup. Everyone gets something cool.
Actually one of the coolest things IMO are the Orrorsh medals. There's some awesome flavor possible there.

I like how you've worked to balance all the cosms so every PC gets something cool, and how you've tried to ensure that their abilities are useful outside their native cosm. Orrorsh PCs used to suffer from this as all their special skills were only really useful in Orrorsh. (That said, I'd still like to see the Swami again!)

Using Perks (rather than skills) to define the PC's cosm powers seems a great idea.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am

MAJT wrote:
Actually one of the coolest things IMO are the Orrorsh medals. There's some awesome flavor possible there.

I like how you've worked to balance all the cosms so every PC gets something cool, and how you've tried to ensure that their abilities are useful outside their native cosm. Orrorsh PCs used to suffer from this as all their special skills were only really useful in Orrorsh. (That said, I'd still like to see the Swami again!)

Using Perks (rather than skills) to define the PC's cosm powers seems a great idea.

Perks was really one of those 'obvious' things. :-)

As for Swami, I'm sure that'll be an archetype with Perk support when we get to the Orrorsh book. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

InertiaKitty

Postby InertiaKitty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am

These remind me a lot of a similar mechanic in a Pathfinder setting called Dravakor by Reality Cheque. Almost like video game trophies/achievements. You succeed at (or just attempt) a specific action, you might receive an enchanted medal (paid for with XP, I think) to give you a minor bennie.
"Whaddaya mean 'Twinkies are even a contradiction in Core Earth'?!?!?"

TNMalt

Postby TNMalt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:35 pm

I could see Skippy return. As a sit-com character about Edienos transforming to and dealing with core earth values. And for the sillier stuff, have it on a kids oriented cable network.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 pm

TNMalt wrote:I could see Skippy return. As a sit-com character about Edienos transforming to and dealing with core earth values. And for the sillier stuff, have it on a kids oriented cable network.

I actually didn't have a problem with Skippy as an edeinos celebrity as the war drags into multiple years. But I agree with taking him out of the official books, especially early on. There isn't much space in there, so everything you put in those becomes sort of a starting point for a lot of things in people's games. Tone is important in Torg, and it's easy to fall off the deep end into annoying silliness with everything that's going on.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Noooo!

No Skippy, not now, not ever. Dean's already promised us we'll never even find the body...

I'm sure there are ways to do 'friendly edienos' without making it a Jar-Jar character. The iconic one, Moonwalker, seems like a good start.

The only reason I came back to Torg was because of the relatively serious treatment of the genre. I was genuinely afraid that Torg 2.0 would be a parody game with the goofiness ramped up to 11.

I loved the tone of the original novels, and the Still World adventure and Possibility Chalice series didn't have too many stupid things in it (I think only Gibberfat's final form counts, and that's easily changed). It only later turned into some campy self-parody.
Last edited by MAJT on Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

TNMalt wrote:I could see Skippy return. As a sit-com character about Edienos transforming to and dealing with core earth values. And for the sillier stuff, have it on a kids oriented cable network.

To quote Sam the Eagle in Boehmian Rhapsody,

"NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!"

:-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:33 pm

<breathes sigh of relief>

Actually, I bet it's easier to add camp, goofy things to your own version of Torg, than it is to take them out for those who don't want them.

It's easy enough to add Skippy, Elvis, Rex Able, Destructo Don, and cybernetic schoolgirls to the baseline game if you absolutely must have them.

But it's harder to take them out when they're canon - I think they made a great call in not wanting the base game to be camp or goofy.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”