getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

Jim

Re: getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Gargoyle wrote:But I agree with taking him out of the official books, especially early on. There isn't much space in there, so everything you put in those becomes sort of a starting point for a lot of things in people's games. Tone is important in Torg, and it's easy to fall off the deep end into annoying silliness with everything that's going on.

This is my concern, other than I didn't care for Skippy just on the merits (or lack thereof). Torg is over a quarter of a century old and I'll be introducing it to new players. I adore the Nile Empire and Dr. Mobius and all the other weird and wonderful entities in the Torg setting. But I don't want to have to try to sell, or stretch suspension of disbelief over, anything that is deliberately comedic and silly. Not if I'm trying to sell this as a strange but desperate conflict.

I don't mind a wink and a nudge at ironic humor, but Skippy was a pie in the face. I want Torg to be a war, not a pie fight from a bad 60's British Comedy.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I meant about the Nile—those are setting concepts I won't be apologetic over, but I don't need to Skippy and anything like him to make my job even more challenging when I introduce the setting.

TNMalt

Postby TNMalt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:31 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
TNMalt wrote:I could see Skippy return. As a sit-com character about Edienos transforming to and dealing with core earth values. And for the sillier stuff, have it on a kids oriented cable network.

To quote Sam the Eagle in Boehmian Rhapsody,

"NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!"

:-)

But the merchandizing potential!! And the Skippy the Edienos sugar bomb ceral for kids, we'd make millions! All things considered, some humor or tongue in cheek adventures would add that nice change of pace.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong! Torg Eternity ain't GrimDark [tm]. :-)

We'll occasionally have a bit of humor in the books. You may have seen some of it in the NearNowNews feed. Especially the day of the "hack". :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:05 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong! Torg Eternity ain't GrimDark [tm]. :-)

We'll occasionally have a bit of humor in the books. You may have seen some of it in the NearNowNews feed. Especially the day of the "hack". :lol:

And just so there is no misunderstanding, I think that is just fine. I never want to be the enemy of Fun. Humor just varies by taste, so I think the maxim of "Less is more" is really applicable. Save it for something really good.

TNMalt

Postby TNMalt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:08 pm

True. I guess each of the cosms will have a few humorous adventure seeds. Though I suspect the world law's of the Nile empire may protect us from some of the sillier silver age stories. Ie no adventure titled 'the many outfits of Dr Mobius'. ;)

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Satire and the occasional 'knowing wink' are great. Even Storm Knights can have fun sometimes. Ours sometimes took holidays, and even honeymooned, especially when the SK Guild got going and they had a lot more resources.

I actually think 'humour' and 'silly' are completely different things. Plenty of humour in Star Wars and Indian Jones, as I've said.

But there's no need to go full-on Jar-Jar either.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Ooh! Dibs on being the Enemy of Fun!

I shall now eagerly await the arrival of my Darkness Device, Unhumerus, at any moment.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:43 pm

TNMalt wrote:I could see Skippy return. As a sit-com character about Edienos transforming to and dealing with core earth values. And for the sillier stuff, have it on a kids oriented cable network.

Actually, I hope that TorgEternity will not forget that there are people living their everyday lives in this war. I hope they will include how media reacts, write about the latest movies that are published in the world of Near Now, how the people carry on and so on. This includes the TV serials streamed by Kanawaflix, the comics featuring the real adventures of heroes in the Nile, the VR games on the new Kanawabox featuring sandbox games in the Cyberpapacy etc.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:55 pm

MAJT wrote:Satire and the occasional 'knowing wink' are great. Even Storm Knights can have fun sometimes. Ours sometimes took holidays, and even honeymooned, especially when the SK Guild got going and they had a lot more resources.

I actually think 'humour' and 'silly' are completely different things. Plenty of humour in Star Wars and Indian Jones, as I've said.

But there's no need to go full-on Jar-Jar either.

I think the comical relief comes all by itself from the clash of cultures. A player in my Torg games played an Orrorsh gentleman. At his first trip to Core Earth US he saw a woman in T-Shirt and miniskirt. He instantly took off his longcoat and tried to drape it around her shoulders saying: "mylady I am sorry you were robbed of your wardrobe, allow me to guard you to safety." Later on he tried to find the destination of a building. The first guy he asked answered rudely: "Look it up in the phone book." His next question was: "then would you be so kind showing me the way to the library." The rude man replied: "go to a phone booth" (in german: Telefonzelle, translation telephone cell). The Victorian asked nearly shocked: "your books are so dangerous you have to incarcerate them?"
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:34 am

MAJT wrote:Actually, I bet it's easier to add camp, goofy things to your own version of Torg, than it is to take them out for those who don't want them.

Oh, it totally is. And I am sure that many groups will do so. I am reminded of the meme with a somber picture of the Fellowship of the Ring with the caption of, "How my D&D games starts." Then on a silly picture of Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the caption of, "How my D&D games end." If the players want silly, they'll find a way.

I'm glad my Torg game didn't get too silly. We had an ongoing joke where the Storm Knights would rent vans and trucks from a global chain called U-Shove-It. One of our characters in the Cyberpapacy yelled to a guard asking if he knew a Jacques Strapp. And one time I tried an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leaped into a Storm Knight (word of advice: in a setting with shapeshifters and demonic possession, PCs will react poorly when someone starts acting and talking strangely). We didn't need Skippy to do silly things like that. They just naturally happened.

And it's going to happen in Torg Eternity too. I'll try to keep a lid on things, but I know something silly will sneak through. Gamers are imaginative and have silly hobbies.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”