TiaMaster

Re: getting rid of the silly aspects of Torg

Postby TiaMaster » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes. All three of you.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:21 pm

TiaMaster wrote:Yes. All three of you.

You asked a question. You received an answer. It was just a simple straight-forward answer.

I'm certain the decision was made a long time before any fan knew about it, so it doesn't really matter if there were three of us or 3,000, or whether we agreed or disagreed with it.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Some Perk categories are limited to denizens of specific cosms.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:50 pm

First, to cyberware. If I remember the sneak peaks, the cyberware issue mentioned that the perk would grant a certain amount of money for cyberware purchases, but then mentioned that you could still purchase cyberware without the perk, but it came with back street purchase risks. This would seem to imply that someone from the cosm would be able to adjust and find better ware than someone from outside. Seems reasonable to me.

Second, the idea of limiting SOME perks to cosm only seems like a reasonable demand, especially on the early "levels" for a character. When savage worlds came out, it was apparent what they drew from TORG. Now, TorgE has drawn from SW as well (Art imitates life imitates art.). Most Edges in SW have a rank requirement, and I see no problem with something similar for TorgE. If you want to break that, then house rule it, but I can see where they are coming from.

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm delighted that cyber-ninja-psionic-werewolves aren't the default and that you now have to house-rule them.

I actually like that the cosms feel unique and the characters reflect where they come from, rather than everyone cherry-picking the most powerful things.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:25 pm

The buying cyberware thing was changed slightly after the preview came out. That'll be for the cosm book.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

TiaMaster wrote:Second: I don't understand how that very thing is not encouraged, let alone frowned upon. Wouldn't my Cyberpriest who happens to have a 10 Spirit and 4 reality adds of course have affinity for manipulation of Reality? It took ALOT of XP to get my Reality to a freakin 14, and (I'm assuming) alot more to purchase a Perk!

I could see how reality perks remain Core Earth only. It's the reality of Core Earth that allows this to happen. The other realities just don't have this strength, not even if you have a reality score of 20+. You can still reconnect easily enough, but creating storms and negating Possibilities? That's Core Earth, baby. I can dig it.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 pm

I too am a fan of protecting the niche of characters from different cosms. And TiaMaster, your posts do read as being very argumentative, to me, anyway.

Thinking more about the topic, it would be interesting (to me!) if the eventual ability to dip into other cosms' perks was only available to Core Earthers, due to their superior reality shenanigans.

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Tia, first off, I thought about how I wanted to post this without it sounding smug or insulting. This is not my intent. I hold EVERYONE who role-plays in high regard, and GMs are almost always under appreciated. I think Jim has it right in saying most of us have looked at the rules as stated and have gone, "OK, so them's the rules. Guess it's about balance or storylines."

My favorite character in my last group was a Jamaican truck driver who eventually had magic spells that rivaled the royal collages of Aysle (Hanka's Gravitic Sphere aka fight ender.) He also ran around with some cyberware and a few miracles. Plus other pieces of equipment from the Star Sphere and Tharkold. The cross cosm potential was awesome. I'm just saying that this seems to be the new rule set for this Near Now as published. There is a very large Infiniverse and no one, especially me, has the right to tell you how to run. The goal is to have fun, and you as your group's GM, are the most qualified to figure out what that would entail. Please never give into what you feel is wrong.

On a last note, I feel that the board's are getting a little testy as we approach the release of the PDF's. We are a band of comrades who slog out adventures at 1:00 a.m. because our group wants to play. We should accept each other's different run styles and opinions and embrace that which binds us together. Again, I hope I did not insult anyone and will now turn over the soap box for awhile.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:12 am

Darn it, Doomweber! In my culture, turning over the soap box is an insult that can only be settled by death!

...Or not.

As I've said elsewhere, I do basically agree with Tia on this one. A rule that you can only start with Perks from your own Cosm is almost so obvious it doesn't need to be stated, but from there, characters should evolve organically. Now, there's a fine case to be made for deciding that Reality just doesn't work that way. Knights from Aysle are just incompatible with laser guns because it's not part of their reality, and they simply cannot incorporate laser guns into their life because they don't belong there. So, sure, they can pick one up and fire it, at risk of at least a One Case Contradiction every time, but they can never actually learn the Energy Weapons Skill because Aysle doesn't allow it and that's not just "where they're from", it's part of what they are.

...But that doesn't fit very well with the shift away from people "carrying their Reality". Plus, that would seem to cover things that your Axioms might allow but just happen to be from another world, and also, it quickly becomes a very fuzzy line and it's hard to tell, really, how far it should go.

But if your home Cosm is just where you're from... I just don't see any reason you can't, you know.. what have you. Install cyberware. Devote yourself to Lanaala. Earn a Medal. Get bitten by a radioactive Scarab. And as far as I can tell, that doesn't threaten anyone's niche any more than just.. having two thirds of the party turn out to be from the Nile would. And there's no rule against that, even though it's a Known Issue.

I like the idea of possible later rules that might let someone incorporate something that actually exceeds their home Axioms. I'm.. not actually sure if that idea was offered anywhere, but I really like it. But for me, the different worlds being able to learn from each other isn't one of "the silly aspects". It's rich ground with all kinds of (this one's for you, TH!) possibilities.

Now, fortunately, it's probably the very easiest thing to change, and I expect it will win Most Common House Rule... I'm going to go with every year running. But I am disappointed that it will have to be a house rule, because, as I've noted elsewhere, you can't count on those.

...That said, if this is my biggest disappointment? I'm going to be a very happy fan.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”