Possible Axiom changes during the war

Gargoyle

Possible Axiom changes during the war

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:11 pm

On the Spells and Miracle Perks underwhelming? thread, it was mentioned:

TorgHacker wrote:While we're all discussing casting on the fly I figured I'd better point something out that folks might not have noticed at first.

Creating spells as you cast (ie casting on the fly) is possible at Magic 25.

Aysle is Magic 24.

There is a reason for this...basically we couldn't come up with a good system for doing such a thing at this point, at least not one that we could do in the core book. However, we did want it close enough that some isolated areas of Aysle COULD theoretically do it.

That got me to thinking about other possible Axioms that could bump and open up some new options. After all, if this was the designers' thinking for Aysle magic, perhaps there are other considerations. So looking at it, these stand out to me. Keep in mind that a small area like a city or region could increase in axioms first so it doesn't mean the entire cosm has to increase to see some of this, and some increases are temporary. Spoiler tags engaged in case I'm right about something, and because I mention some secrets of the setting.

► Show Spoiler
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Doomweber

Re: Possible Axiom changes during the war

Postby Doomweber » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:36 pm

I think most of the bumps could be possible, but the designers might be hesitant to bump up too much in a "creep". The only one I would say won't happen would be Tharkold's magic axiom. It is stated that it is going down, not up.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:36 am

Well, Core Earth's already gotten a Magic and a Spirit bump from oTorg, so, I'd think that the Possibility energy that's surging all over the place is having an effect.

I'd be surprised if, a year ago, Core Earth had all these people casually tossing around Healing miracles and the like!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am

Remember that the Axiom charts have changed as well. So any apparent changes may not be real changes.

Though in some cases they are.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Doomweber wrote:I think most of the bumps could be possible, but the designers might be hesitant to bump up too much in a "creep". The only one I would say won't happen would be Tharkold's magic axiom. It is stated that it is going down, not up.

Agree, but the demons probably still want it to go up, that was a major motivation for them in oTorg, and there could be temporary or local bumps in their magic axiom so I figured it was worth mentioning. I suspect any realm-wide bumps would be rare and infrequent, but the mention of Aysle's casting on the fly makes me think that other cosms could also see a bump in axioms when their books are released since it's an opportunity to tweak how various realms work with relatively significant rules additions. So there may be more than one or two changes at the one year mark due to meta reasons that are probably easily justified through the story.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”