Akashans

Zackzenobi

Akashans

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Just saw Valerian in the theater. A truly visually stunning movie. And the most creative sci-fi movie I've seen since Avatar. But unfortunately, now I'm jonsing for the Torg Etenity version of the Akashans! I really want to take a Star Pilot (sans starship of course) up against some Gospog and Ravagons!

Yes their Reality had problems. It was a little munchkin. It wasn't just super tech and psionics. There were miracles and, albiet low level, magic as well. The worst was the world laws. Which did NOT define it or even suggest it as a Space Opera.

I'm assuming that the Akashans that we do get, will be escapees from the Guant Man's destruction of their Reality. It would seem to me, TPTB could use this as a catalyst to reshape The Star Sphere reality, hopefully w better World Laws more in line with aSpace Opera and maybe less magic/miracles. Though I would like to see them keep Psionics, I worry that Tharkold having added Psionics in a big way will mean the Akashans won't have them.

But I'm not going to be too picky. I'm sure I will love it however it ends up. I just hope we don't have to wait to long!

blackwingedheaven

Re: Akashans

Postby blackwingedheaven » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I love the Space Gods too, and I'm really looking forward to seeing their implementation in Torg Eternity. Given some of the secrets in the book, it looks more like their appearance will be something like Battlestar Galactica--a ragtag fleet of survivors looking for salvation and a new home.
"Venio ibi habere tempus bonum et sincere sentio valde oppugnatus esse." -Julius Caesar to Brutus after being stabbed

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:03 am

It feels disappointing for me that the Akashans, if we see them as playable at all, are going to have exactly the same shtick now as the Race and the dwarves. Does everyone now have to have the 'Vengeful Last Survivor of a race wiped out by the High Lords'? I liked how they had their own thing in the original game, quite apart from the Possibility Wars.

To be honest, the main thing stopping me from selling this to my group is how relentlessly grim and bleak and hopeless the fluff is in this version. I was really psyched for this initially, but 'desperation ratcheted up to 11' just isn't doing it for me. :( Different tastes I guess.

I think I'll take another look at it after a year of metaplot, see how they are developing it.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 pm

I would strip the Akashans of magic, psi and miracles and go full on the law of acceptance. They are the most experienced with reality and this should be their unique selling point. They are the ones who know how to use reality to its fullest, even in some ways that remind of the force in Star Wars. After all, they were meant as a replacement for the license WEG had lost, complete with light sabers. Also, being a space-travelling people, they could be of many races with many different natural abilities (as the Lorbaat with their natural glue). In addition they have the highest Tech Axiom, this should be enough.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:42 pm

But if they make Akashans the masters of Reality, that overrides Core Earth's main Thing.

MAJT wrote: Does everyone now have to have the 'Vengeful Last Survivor of a race wiped out by the High Lords'?

Well, the... the Edeinos don't have that! You're right though, all of the other non-humans do. And the Race, who aren't really even non-humans. But given that it's firmly established that the Akashans were wiped out by the Gaunt Man in exchange for the Elves only having, like, 60% of that trait, I don't see how they could be brought in and not have that.

Here's an odd thought I don't know if TorgHacker can answer for us -- as I remember, the Elves were in Aysle because they had to flee the Gaunt Man. If in Torg Eternity they made that trade instead.. what are they doing in Aysle? And will the Elves in general be stronger - like, as a society - than they were in oTorg?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 pm

utsukushi wrote:But if they make Akashans the masters of Reality, that overrides Core Earth's main Thing.

MAJT wrote: Does everyone now have to have the 'Vengeful Last Survivor of a race wiped out by the High Lords'?

Well, the... the Edeinos don't have that! You're right though, all of the other non-humans do. And the Race, who aren't really even non-humans. But given that it's firmly established that the Akashans were wiped out by the Gaunt Man in exchange for the Elves only having, like, 60% of that trait, I don't see how they could be brought in and not have that.

Here's an odd thought I don't know if TorgHacker can answer for us -- as I remember, the Elves were in Aysle because they had to flee the Gaunt Man. If in Torg Eternity they made that trade instead.. what are they doing in Aysle? And will the Elves in general be stronger - like, as a society - than they were in oTorg?

Unless there's something in the lore that I'm unaware of, in Original Torg, the Elves fled a reality that the Akashans were 'visiting'. The Gaunt Man had nothing to do with it.

As for the rest, Aysle is very early in development so I'm not sure yet, and really we're focusing a lot on what's happening on Earth rather than Aysle, so it's possible we don't get into the nitty gritty of the societies on Aysle at all beyond what's needed to establish the background for what's happening on Earth.

That's something that would be left for later products if we end up doing them.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

As for "Does everyone now have to have the 'Vengeful Last Survivor of a race wiped out by the High Lords'?".

Obviously not.

► Show Spoiler

But I have to point out that there are _countless_ cosms that have been wiped out by the High Lords. Mobius has annihilated nine, and he's the new kid on the block. Lanala is practically trying to save the civilizations Kaah has destroyed. The Gaunt Man has forgotten how many he's destroyed (if he ever cared to keep track).

This is a cosmverse where the most powerful beings in reality raid universes, drain them, and then utterly destroy them.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm

I tell my players that it's a lot like Galactus coming for dinner in terms of how realms are drained.

Personally, if the only mention of the Akashans is what's in the core book then I'm fine with it. I disliked them quite a bit back in the day.

Granted I plan to support this game fully so I'll end up buying an Akashan book anyway and maybe the team will make them awesome.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 pm

TorgHacker wrote:As for "Does everyone now have to have the 'Vengeful Last Survivor of a race wiped out by the High Lords'?".

Obviously not.

► Show Spoiler

But I have to point out that there are _countless_ cosms that have been wiped out by the High Lords. Mobius has annihilated nine, and he's the new kid on the block. Lanala is practically trying to save the civilizations Kaah has destroyed. The Gaunt Man has forgotten how many he's destroyed (if he ever cared to keep track).

This is a cosmverse where the most powerful beings in reality raid universes, drain them, and then utterly destroy them.

I think a little pee just came out of me.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 pm

fougerec wrote:Personally, if the only mention of the Akashans is what's in the core book then I'm fine with it. I disliked them quite a bit back in the day.

Granted I plan to support this game fully so I'll end up buying an Akashan book anyway and maybe the team will make them awesome.

I didn't dislike them, but I fully expected them to not be mentioned ever again. Maybe it sounds like they may be mentioned again, and I'm okay with that. But honestly, I'm perfectly fine with them being removed. There might not even be an ally showing up. Earth stands alone.

Mostly I want any new realms to have great flavor. I like the flavor of the Cyberpapacy. I like Nile. I like Living Land. These are very strong cosms. I even like the new Pan Pacifica now. I never got great flavor from Akasha. The plague was neat, yeah, but the alignments were just tedious to use. And the plague wasn't part of the world laws.

As it is, I'm a little uncertain about [REDACTED]. It's poked its head into the Living Lands a couple of times, but that seems fitting for the Law of Wonder, so I'm okay with it. Other realities could show up this way too.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”