More dinosaurs

Staffan
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 am

More dinosaurs

Postby Staffan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:20 pm

So, the Core book only has stats for the triceratops and the tyrannosaurus Rex. Day One adds the lakten and the mosaurus. But for a cosm where dino attacks are common enough to merit a cosm card, it could use a little variety. I don't want my players to fight a T. Rex every time that card comes out. So I figured I'd make up some more. Here's one to start with:

Deinonychus
A larger version of the velociraptor (the dinosaur with that actual name was about the size of a turkey), this sleek killing machine is a bit over a meter tall, about three meters long from nose to tail. Their forelimbs end in hand-like claws that can be used for rudimentary manipulation and combat, but their chief weapon is their enormous hind claw.
Attributes: Charisma 5, Dexterity 10, Mind 5, Spirit 7, Strength 8
Skills: Dodge 11, Find 8, Maneuver 12, Stealth 12, Tracking 9, Trick 7, Unarmed combat 12
Move: 10; Tough:9 (1); Shock: 7; Wounds: --
Special abilities:
  • Armor: Scaly skin +1.
  • Raking claws: Damage Strength +1 (9)
  • Pouncing charge: If the deinonychus can move at least 5 meters before attacking, it can pounce on its target. Treat this as a grappling attack, but increase the damage by +2 due to the dinosaur's wicked claws.

MAJT

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby MAJT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm

It still annoys me that now they're just Core Earth prehistoric beasties.

Even the Edeinos call them by their Latin names, huh?

Bor Aka, we hardly knew ye :(

Also why does a triceratops have Dodge 5? A swift raptor or something, sure, but nothing about this static reptilian tank suggests 'hard to get a bead on' to me.

User avatar
Kuildeous
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

I questioned why the T-Rex has a Dodge of 15. But then I remembered that it's Very Large, so it's really a Dodge of 11. That still feels high to me, but I feel the Very Large helps out a bit. I would have gone more for easy to hit but hard to damage (which is really is at Toughness 19).
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4396
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 am

Kuildeous wrote:I questioned why the T-Rex has a Dodge of 15. But then I remembered that it's Very Large, so it's really a Dodge of 11. That still feels high to me, but I feel the Very Large helps out a bit. I would have gone more for easy to hit but hard to damage (which is really is at Toughness 19).


Where are you guys seeing this? I think those are old stats.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
Kuildeous
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:I questioned why the T-Rex has a Dodge of 15. But then I remembered that it's Very Large, so it's really a Dodge of 11. That still feels high to me, but I feel the Very Large helps out a bit. I would have gone more for easy to hit but hard to damage (which is really is at Toughness 19).


Where are you guys seeing this? I think those are old stats.


Indeed that's what I was going off of. I didn't have the new book handy and was going off of memory. Yeah, the lowered Dodge and increased Toughness make much more sense.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4396
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I may have been involved in a conversation. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

MAJT

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby MAJT » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Where are you guys seeing this? I think those are old stats.


The triceratops still has Dodge +5 adds.

I just wonder why.

I'd accept it if it was a raptor or a flying creature or something, but it seems weird that this ten-meter long thing that weighs 5000 kgs has mad ninja level skills at getting out of the way of gunfire.

(Yes, the size makes it easier to hit, but I don't see why it has Dodge +5. Feels like 'Pathfinder logic' to me - 'it's a tough monster so it should be hard to hit - even if realistically, it's the size of a bus and wouldn't be hard to hit at all'. )

User avatar
Gargoyle
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:12 pm

MAJT wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Where are you guys seeing this? I think those are old stats.


The triceratops still has Dodge +5 adds.

I just wonder why.

I'd accept it if it was a raptor or a flying creature or something, but it seems weird that this ten-meter long thing that weighs 5000 kgs has mad ninja level skills at getting out of the way of gunfire.

(Yes, the size makes it easier to hit, but I don't see why it has Dodge +5. Feels like 'Pathfinder logic' to me - 'it's a tough monster so it should be hard to hit - even if realistically, it's the size of a bus and wouldn't be hard to hit at all'. )


Perhaps "triceratops" is a typo, and they really meant "Triceracop"
Image
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Blightcrawler
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby Blightcrawler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:18 pm

MAJT wrote:It still annoys me that now they're just Core Earth prehistoric beasties.


Then rest assured, they aren't. Both descriptions talk about their resemblance to prehistoric beasties, so the core earthers call them these names. I also think they were referred to as such in the original oTorg core, and not given local names until the LL cosm book.

sandchigger
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby sandchigger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Blightcrawler wrote:
MAJT wrote:It still annoys me that now they're just Core Earth prehistoric beasties.


Then rest assured, they aren't. Both descriptions talk about their resemblance to prehistoric beasties, so the core earthers call them these names. I also think they were referred to as such in the original oTorg core, and not given local names until the LL cosm book.


Well I mean they don't have feathers all they're not ACTUALLY dinosaurs...


Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests