More dinosaurs

Spatula

Re: More dinosaurs

Postby Spatula » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Gargoyle wrote:I was annoyed at first then I remembered how in oTorg, I'd explain what the towering bi-pedal lizard looked like, call it by its oTorg name, and eventually just said "it's like an almost T-rex" or "It's like a Triceratops with only two horns". The little differences in appearance and names weren't worth it IMO.

I do think however that the edeinos name for each one should be listed too, Moonwalker wouldn't call it a T-rex.

Yeah, I would prefer descriptive or recognizable names over hard to pronounce and/or remember names any day. List the "native" name in the text, but for a usable game book I want to be able to find what I'm looking for quickly, and that means using terms that are easy to recall.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Gargoyle wrote:I do think however that the edeinos name for each one should be listed too, Moonwalker wouldn't call it a T-rex.

Exactly. Having a recognisable name is a good idea, but also providing the edeinos name is really important, just to retain that alien feel. And players come up with their own names anyway. In our game, Tal Tu might be warning the Storm Knights to beware of the torada, but they end up calling it "squid-thing" or "the Watcher in the Water" no matter what he says ;)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Gargoyle wrote:I do think however that the edeinos name for each one should be listed too, Moonwalker wouldn't call it a T-rex.

The Eberron setting for D&D 3e did that with its dinosaurs, giving each an English name. So you had the clawfoot (velociraptor, favored war mount of halflings), glidewing (pteranodon), and swordtooth titan (T. Rex), for example.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm

We may have had extensive discussions about this.

Maybe.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:51 pm

I think having the real world name for each dinosaur as the main heading and mentioning the edeinos name for it in the text is the way to go

I think the Edeinos name gives it more flavor, but if I want to throw a Triceratops at my Storm Knights and need the stats, I want to be able to just look up "Triceratops" not have to remember what the Edeinos call the thing

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:49 pm

TorgHacker wrote:We may have had extensive discussions about this.

Maybe.

Sounds more interesting than my conference calls!
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

MAJT

Postby MAJT » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:29 am

Pictures of the creatures would have solved all of that.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 am

MAJT wrote:Pictures of the creatures would have solved all of that.

Solved the issue of descriptions of "almost dinosaurs"? Probably. But while I always want more art if asked, art takes up space and costs money, and I don't think that would have been a good use of space in a core book. I remember when one of the D&D monster manuals came out, there were no pictures of dinosaurs and they caught some flak. Their explanation was that you don't really need pictures of dinosaurs. It's true...we know what the common ones look like, or at least, the Hollywood versions of what we think they look like. Except for the omission of native edeinos names for dinosaurs, I think they did the right thing with them.

Definitely hoping for some pictures in the LL cosm book though, even of the more common ones, but I'm hoping it's more of them interacting with Storm Knights (trying to eat them) and stuff like that, and not just a catalog of static pics. And I still don't think we need a "triceratops with two horns" or any of that. It's just not needed and I'd rather have other stuff.

If we get Creatures of the Living Land or something similar (stretch goal for the cosm book instead of making us wait? Please!!? Creature creation can be contracted out pretty nicely....if you write up some guidelines... :) ) then I would expect we'd get a lot more art in that.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:36 pm

I think what they did was fine givenn the rather unexpected circumsatnce of learninh that all our old ideas of how dinosaurs looked and many about how they acted was fundementally wrong.

I made a speicfic point to mention this in Day One LL and as a result the professor and the kid had a small argument about "no it ISNT a pterodactyl." ;)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:30 am

MAJT wrote:Pictures of the creatures would have solved all of that.

Art is insanely expensive.

Like, the companies I've worked for? 10,000 words of text pays me about the same as a single piece of art in the book. (Admitedly, we use color stuff, but even B&W goes for around 4000 words.)

Getting a picture of every beastie would be bank-breaking.

What I'm hoping for is something like:

Tyrannasaurus Rex
(Takka fo Nakka) // Great Big Eats Everything

So, what we're used to it being called, what THEY call it, and what the translation for that one is.

*glances at Kickstarter* And now I know I need to stat up an axebeak, raptors, and cave bears...

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”