MI 6 Archtype

Zackzenobi

MI 6 Archtype

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am

Does anyone have any suggestions on what a MI 6 00 agent Archtype should look like?

Cha 7 Dex 8 Min 7 Spi 8 Str 10. ???

Best perks?
Double tap
Situational awareness

Favored
Tenacious

Please keep in mind i prefer to have one cosm specific perk and one non cosm specific perk. Just a quirk of mine.

Thoughts,opinions, insults?

Nyarlathotep101

Re: MI 6 Archtype

Postby Nyarlathotep101 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:58 am

Playing around with the system I made a former CIA "Black OPs" guy, so same idea but 'Murrican.

My character looked this

Cha 8 Dex 9 Min 8 Spi 8 Str 7

Because he is more of a gun guy and less a "punch you in the face guy" (Bond, I realize does both, but tradeoffs have to be made with a point system) Also took 3 points of Fire Combat and a good Find skill so he is hard to Ambush

Feats

Situational Awareness
Negation

Situational awareness is a must for this sort an Negation lets him take on big bads

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 am

Firstly I advise people to steer clear of character concepts which are too awesome, like James Bond. Rather than try to be a super-spy and probably fail a lot I recommend trying to be a rookie agent who one day dreams of being like James Bond, so you have more room to fail and grow. James Bond is at least Outstanding at everything (stats of 11+) and starting PCs just are not in this game.

Also to me James Bond has to be a high-Charisma character, because he gets laid multiple times in almost every movie and in some cases (e.g. Goldfinger) that is literally how he wins.

I would say: Cha 10 Dex 9 Min 7 Spi 7 Str 7
Fire Combat +3, Air Vehicles +1, Dodge +1, Find +1, Evidence Analysis +1, Intimidation +1, Land Vehicles +1, Water Vehicles+1, Unarmed Combat +1, Persuasion +3, Stealth +1, Streetwise +1.
Perks: It's not legal until you have played a Glory card but I'd do whatever I had to do to get the GM to let me take Followers (Bond girl), so I was always accompanied by a sexy female companion with a silly name who gets replaced whenever they get killed. Because I find that hilarious. Plus one of Sniper, Prodigy, Trademark Weapon (Walther PPK) or Wealthy (for fast cars and expensive suits). If the GM was nice maybe Axiom Increase (Tech) for super-spy gadgets, if they would let me start with gadgets.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:Firstly I advise people to steer clear of character concepts which are too awesome, like James Bond. Rather than try to be a super-spy and probably fail a lot I recommend trying to be a rookie agent who one day dreams of being like James Bond, so you have more room to fail and grow. James Bond is at least Outstanding at everything (stats of 11+) and starting PCs just are not in this game.

Once upon a time there actually was a James Bond RPG, written by some dude named Greg Gorden. It had some pretty innovative ideas for its time - the car chase system, for example, was amazing. One of them was that you could make characters at three different levels: Rookie, Agent, or 00. The published adventures (which had lavish handouts, and were based on the movies enough so you would recognize things but with a few twists so you can't just follow the script and win) were balanced for either one 00, two Agents, or 3-4 Rookies.

Anyway, the point is that yeah, Bond is too competent to be a starting character. He's basically a whole party by himself. But you could definitely play someone like Felix Leiter.

Also, oTORG had a Covert Operative as one of its templates, with Charisma as the highest ability and Persuasion as tag skill. Also, the illustration had an amazing mullet, which I assume is the reason for the high Charisma.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

The problem with Bond as a character is that he's so Mary Sue. He mostly succeeded in what he attempted. What failures he did have were easily overlooked. I say this without having seen the Daniel Craig version, which I understand is grittier.

And that's not Torg. Torg is about amazing people who will succeed and fail. If the dice come out, then there's a chance for failure. If not, then the GM is most likely hand-waving scenes. It's up to the GM how much like James Bond you are. Do you auto-seduce the girl, or does the GM have a clever ploy that may require a die roll? Do you auto-plant the demolitions, or does the GM add tension with a DSR?

In many cases, the GM may determine that you do all that cool Bond stuff without rolling the dice. Once the dice come out, save those Possibilities and cards for when it counts.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Okay, this is hilarious. :-)

So I didn't know that Greg Gordon worked on the James Bond 007 RPG, but when started doing the design work on chases for Torg Eternity, I bought Classified, which is a retro-clone based on that game. Classified definitely inspired some of the choices I did for the initial iteration of the chase rules.

The chase rules we ended up with are significantly different than that initial draft but it's still amusing to me.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Yeah, the Bond car chase system would be hard to translate to TORG, because it's heavily based on initiative which in Bond is determined by the risks you take in the chase (which determine the difficulty for both parties). That would be hard to do in a system so strongly based on the use of cards for initiative.

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Didn't the Bond game also have a unified chart like Torg? I played it briefly years ago but recall being impressed by it having a central system that could handle everything in the game.

Edit: Also similar to Torg is the Willow board game. It has cards that operate in hands and pools, like Torg. Some guy called Greg Costikyan worked on that one... ;)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Staffan wrote:Yeah, the Bond car chase system would be hard to translate to TORG, because it's heavily based on initiative which in Bond is determined by the risks you take in the chase (which determine the difficulty for both parties). That would be hard to do in a system so strongly based on the use of cards for initiative.

It was inspired, but no, not duplicated for sure.

It had "Approved Actions" that were vehicle stunts, for example. Also had terrain icons on the Drama Deck.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Kamelion wrote:Didn't the Bond game also have a unified chart like Torg? I played it briefly years ago but recall being impressed by it having a central system that could handle everything in the game.

You're probably thinking of DC Heroes, also by Greg Gorden, which I think had something like that. I never played DC Heroes, but I did play a bit of Underground which I understand was a descendant of that system (in the same way that Shatterzone and Masterbook were descendants of oTORG), and which did have an exponential unified value chart.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”