MI 6 Archtype

ShirtlessOBrien

Re: MI 6 Archtype

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Staffan wrote:
Kamelion wrote:Didn't the Bond game also have a unified chart like Torg? I played it briefly years ago but recall being impressed by it having a central system that could handle everything in the game.

You're probably thinking of DC Heroes, also by Greg Gorden, which I think had something like that. I never played DC Heroes, but I did play a bit of Underground which I understand was a descendant of that system (in the same way that Shatterzone and Masterbook were descendants of oTORG), and which did have an exponential unified value chart.

The James Bond 007 did have a "central chart" which took up a page, but if I recall correctly it was just a straightforward multiplication table. You multiplied your skill by the difficulty number to find your success chance, so if you have Cheesy Double Entendre at 23 and the GM decides it's difficulty 3 to come up with a dirty reference in your situation then you have a 69% chance of success. The lower you rolled the higher the degree of success, and if your roll was less than 1/10th of your maximum success number (01 to 06 in this case) you succeeded awesomely and got a hero point.

You couldn't use it for things like figuring out how much ten James Bonds could lift or anything like the Torg or Mutants and Masterminds 3e charts.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:43 pm

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:so if you have Cheesy Double Entendre at 23 and the GM decides it's difficulty 3 to come up with a dirty reference in your situation then you have a 69% chance of success.

Of course you do. ;)

Hawk Knight

Postby Hawk Knight » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:27 pm

I remember the unified chart in the original DC heroes. My favorite example was Wonder Woman (Str 45) could pick up Mount Everest (weight 43) and throw it 20 feet. 45-43=2 which translated on the distance column of the chart as 20 feet.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:47 am

Hawk Knight wrote:I remember the unified chart in the original DC heroes. My favorite example was Wonder Woman (Str 45) could pick up Mount Everest (weight 43) and throw it 20 feet. 45-43=2 which translated on the distance column of the chart as 20 feet.

“Lift with your legs, Diana.”
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 am

Except mountains arent structurally sound enough to hold together long enough to be picked up as one piece.

Hawk Knight

Postby Hawk Knight » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Except mountains arent structurally sound enough to hold together long enough to be picked up as one piece.

You must be fun at parties.
Neither are skyscrapers or jets for that matter. And cars and trucks will also crumble if you don't grab them in the right spot. Yet we see superheroes pick them up constantly in comics and games. Call it touch telekinesis if you want. As a matter of fact that's how they explained it at one point with Superman.

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Hawk Knight wrote:
Zackzenobi wrote:Except mountains arent structurally sound enough to hold together long enough to be picked up as one piece.

You must be fun at parties.
Neither are skyscrapers or jets for that matter. And cars and trucks will also crumble if you don't grab them in the right spot. Yet we see superheroes pick them up constantly in comics and games. Call it touch telekinesis if you want. As a matter of fact that's how they explained it at one point with Superman.

It was also a weird plot point in one issue of Fantastic Four, where they fought Gladiator (alien with essentially Superman's power set) who thought they were skrulls in disguise. When Gladiator lifted the entire Baxter Building by one corner, Reed figured out that his powers must be partially psychic because the building should have collapsed, but he lifted it in more-or-less one piece. So Reed proceeds to trick Gladiator into losing his confidence which saps his powers, letting the FF defeat him.

Of course, this ignores all the other times people with super-strength can lift things with their bare hands without regard to things like structural integrity - such as lifting carrier ships, or throwing tanks by grabbing their cannons (which should probably just bend the cannon), and such. Or, for that matter, the time Doctor Doom launched the Baxter Building into space.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Staffan wrote:Or, for that matter, the time Doctor Doom launched the Baxter Building into space.

Fun aside, in my oTorg game, the Storm Knights were invited to meet with the Akashan council (I forget the name of it) at Machu Picchu. It was all an elaborate trap by Dr. Mobius to launch the pyramid and transport it across the ocean to Nile where he would have captured everyone. Okay, so it was far-fetched, even by the Mad Pharaoh's standards, but it was certainly unexpected. Storm Knights successfully exploded the pyramid and intimidated Mobius.

I almost want to replicate that somehow in TE, but I think it may be best to just let that plot lie.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”