The Living Land Preview #1

TorgHacker

Re: The Living Land Preview #1

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:16 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you're meaning?
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I tbink he wants the SBs to come out faster. I for one am happy wuth the pace. It gives me time to pad my budget.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:33 am

Zackzenobi wrote:I tbink he wants the SBs to come out faster. I for one am happy wuth the pace. It gives me time to pad my budget.

Yep, Tiamaster is being clever but one may not have noticed the boldface. :)

I am also fine with the pace from a practical adult standpoint. The kid in me wants all the books NOW.

Happy to see that U.S. is focusing on the core books first though.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:46 am

A Strengthening Resistance
Kaah expanded the territory under his control on both coasts of the United States, but he has not made an earnest push to join the Eastern and Western Lands. Instead, the High Lord expanded south, first into Florida and then to Cuba, joining up with his territory on the Yucatan Peninsula.

For all the talk of Baruk Kaah being tougher, this is pretty close to the pattern of the oTorg campaign. I know he will not be a pansy this time, but so far he seems like he's being stopped much as before. I suspect this is because of the very limited amount of info we have so far. :)

Still, for as much territory Baruk Kaah holds, he expected to control much more, and his expansion slowed considerably in the last few months. In fact, he lost territory as a group of renegade Stormers pulled a stela near Nashville, causing multiple zones to fail. Unfortunately, the zones hadn’t been seeded with stories and as Core Earth’s reality rushed in, millions of people perished, vanishing into “what ifs.”

More recently, a Delphi Council Storm Knights properly prepared a zone covering southern Missouri and destroyed the stela there, showing to the world that the heroes of Earth truly could fight back and retake territory lost to the invaders.

I always felt that just telling the Storm Knights how pulling stelae works and the implications of pulling them without a story seed was a bit heavy-handed, so it's nice to see an event that shows them instead. Let those numbers sink in folks....millions...that would have a hell of an impact on society. You'd have to be pretty hawkish to be capable of justifying that as "acceptable losses", much like the Russian government must be about the Blasted Lands.

Many hardpoints have cropped up as well, including in some areas that had previously been entirely under the control of the Living Land, such as New York City. However, not everything has gone Earth’s way. Baruk Kaah, demonstrating the incredible spiritual power at his command, led a huge congregation of edeinos and caused a massive earthquake which utterly destroyed the hardpoint of Seattle, killing countless refugees as well as causing great damage in the ruins of Portland and Vancouver, British Columbia.

There's the BK we all want to see. :) It's funny, I always think about him as a warrior but leading a miracle to crush Seattle in an earthquake is way scarier and very Living Land ish.

The Rise of Rek Stalek
As if pesky Storm Knights weren’t enough, Baruk Kaah has another thorn in his side. Thrakmoss is gaining followers and turning them from worshiping Lanala, but instead Rek Stalek, the edeinos god of death. Thrakmoss commands the Whitespear Clan and now hordes of undead dinosaurs stalk the jungles of the upper Midwest.

Love this so much. Living Land in oTorg lacked diversity and different religious factions has always been my way of delivering that...but this is much better than what I had come up with in the past.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 am

Zackzenobi wrote:How has no one mentioned Undead Dinos yet?!

Dresden will be proud.

Sue!
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Vladimyr

Postby Vladimyr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am

Is it planned for Core Earth to receive its own Sourcebook, as in OTorg?

All sourcebooks in 18 months? Sweet! Bring it on!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:30 pm

That was a number I threw out...don't think it's written in stone.

As for Core Earth getting a book...yesish. I think it'll be part of a wave, but not a wave in and of itself.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
The Rise of Rek Stalek
As if pesky Storm Knights weren’t enough, Baruk Kaah has another thorn in his side. Thrakmoss is gaining followers and turning them from worshiping Lanala, but instead Rek Stalek, the edeinos god of death. Thrakmoss commands the Whitespear Clan and now hordes of undead dinosaurs stalk the jungles of the upper Midwest.

Love this so much. Living Land in oTorg lacked diversity and different religious factions has always been my way of delivering that...but this is much better than what I had come up with in the past.

I loved the Temple of Rek Stalek (never played trough it though) so much that in my Torg campaign the GM showed each High Lord how they failed in the "Possibility Wars" and this Baruk Kaah killed Thrakmoss before the "Reality Wars" started, but liked what he saw and has been introducing Rek Stalek to those closest to him. It's the story behind them using bone/hide armor and bone/stone weapons.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 am

I am also looking forward to defendind the Magic Kingdom from Kaahs big push on the hardpoint!

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:31 am

Baruk Kaah, demonstrating the incredible spiritual power at his command, led a huge congregation of edeinos...

How?

The social axiom of the Living Land does not allow for groups larger than a tribe.

How does any LL inhabitant even conceive of an army, much less have the ability to organize one?

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”