New/Old Conversions for Eternity

Spatula

New/Old Conversions for Eternity

Postby Spatula » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:56 am

I was flipping through the oTorg Cyberpapacy books and saw some miracles that I think would translate well to Eternity. Which is to say, they do something useful for PCs and/or NPCs and can justify themselves as something that might be chosen with the few slots given by the Miracles perk.

One thing I struggled with was assigning axiom levels to these. What do folks think are appropriate values for these miracles in the Eternity axiom scale?

Does anyone else have any conversions of oTorg spells, miracles, equipment, etc. they'd like to share?

Crisis of Faith (oTorg Cyberpapacy, page 62-3)
Axiom Level: 12
Skill: Faith 14
Casting Time: 1 action
DN: Target's faith or Spirit
Range: 25 meters
Duration: Concentration

Causes the target to doubt their faith, making it more difficult for them from using Miracles for the duration. Add +4 to the DN for affected targets to invoke Miracles. Can Multi-Target. If the target worships the Cyberchurch, add +6 to the DN of invoking this Miracle.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The target is also Stymied.
  • Outstanding: The target cannot invoke Miracles at all for the duration.
(the original just stopped a miracle worker from using miracles at all for [results] # of rounds, which I think would be a little too unfair to PC priest types)

Fanaticism (oTorg Cyberpapacy, page 64)
Axiom Level: 14
DN: Very Hard (DN 16)
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 round

The target gains Flurry on its next action.

Success Levels:
  • Good: One negative condition is also removed from the target.
  • Outstanding: All negative conditions are also removed from the target.
(this is a bit weaker than the oTorg version, which gave the target Flurry for [results] # of rounds and had a range of voice; I think that's a bit crazy)

GodNet Damnation (oTorg Cyberpapacy, page 64-5, was called "Net Damnation")
Axiom Level: 16
Skill: Faith 12
DN: Target's faith or Spirit
Duration: Until the target next enters the GodNet

This miracle marks the target for damnation within the GodNet. When they next enter the GodNet, they will be attacked by (demons?) after 1 BD rounds have passed. If the target exits the GodNet before the (demons?) arrive, the curse is still in effect until the next entry.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The (demons?) will be waiting to ambush the target as soon as they enter the GodNet.
  • Outstanding: The target will be attacked 3 times before the mark expires.
(seems weird to me that a Cyberpriest could command demons to attack someone, maybe it should be some kind of angelic being instead?)

Grab the Witch (oTorg Cyberpapacy, page 64, was called "Mage Net" but I felt that was a little confusing)
DN: Target's dodge or Dexterity
Range: 40 meters
Duration: Concentration or until escaped

This miracle automatically fails if the target does not have any adds in a magic skill. When invoked, it causes nearby objects or plants to wrap around or smother the target, leaving them restrained. The target can end the effect on their turn by using their action to succeed at a Difficult (DN 12) faith or Spirit test.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The difficulty to escape the restraints is Hard.
  • Outstanding: The target is also Stymied.
(not too different from the original, except it didn't specify the visual component of the "net." I like the idea of the very environment rejecting the witch's presence and working against them - it's more varied visually, and thematically evocative IMO)
Last edited by Spatula on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spatula

Re: New/Old Conversions for Eternity

Postby Spatula » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:16 am

Huh. Now that I'm looking more closely at the older spells & miracles, I'm realizing that in addition to characters having more of them, they're generally much more powerful in oTorg.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:00 am

Some new miracles from the Asyle sourcebook...

Armor of Dunad (Exemplars of Light miracle, oTorg Asyle, page 89)
DN: Standard (DN 10)
Range: Self
Duration: 10 minutes

The priest's simple robes or vestments become capable of protecting him or her from serious injury. The character must be wearing religious garb for the miracle to work. The clothes provide Armor +1.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The Armor bonus is +2.
  • Outstanding: The Armor bonus is +3.
(was going to make this stronger but saw that it's basically identical to the Armor spell, which has the above bonuses. The Armor spell has a duration of Concentration, but can also be cast on others)

Blessing of the Defender (Exemplars of Light/Darkness miracle, oTorg Asyle, page 90-1, was "Hearth Blessing")
Skill: Faith 10
Casting Time: 1 minute
DN: Difficult (DN 12)
Duration: 1 hour

A home, cave, rude shelter, building, etc. of less than 50 meters diameter comes under the protection of the priest's gods. Those defending the place from assault gain the gods' favor, increasing their defenses by 1 while they remain in the location and willing to fight. This bonus stacks with a shield, if the character has one.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The bonus to defenses is +2.
  • Outstanding: The bonus to defenses is +3.

Hero's Feast (Exemplars of Light/Darkness miracle, oTorg Asyle, page 91)
Casting Time: 1 minute
DN: Hard (DN 14)
Range: 10 meters
Duration: 1 hour

The priest transforms a plain meal into a sumptuous feast that raises the feasters' spirits. Those who partake in the meal (which takes 1 hour) gain a +1 bonus to Willpower and Interaction tests for the hour after the meal is complete.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The bonus to Willpower and Interaction tests is +2.
  • Outstanding: The bonus to Willpower and Interaction tests is +3.
(the original simply transformed objects into food, so a bit too similar to Bounty, but hey, we're leaning into the D&D thing, yeah?)

Hold Person (Exemplars of Light/Darkness miracle, oTorg Asyle, page 92, was called "Petrify")
DN: Target's willpower or Mind
Range: 40 meters
Duration: 3 rounds

The target is stricken by divine power and finds it difficult to move their body. Their speed is halved and they cannot run for the duration.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The target is also Stymied.
  • Outstanding: The target is restrained instead of slowed.
(the original paralyzed rather than petrified, so I didn't feel the name was warranted)

Ebon Plague (Exemplars of Darkness miracle, oTorg Asyle, page 92, was called "Plague")
Skill: Faith 16
DN: Target's dodge or Dexterity
Duration: Permanent

The target contracts a horrific wasting disease. As soon as affected and each minute thereafter, the target must succeed at a Strength test or take 10 damage, ignoring armor. Any Shock taken cannot be recovered naturally while the disease affects the target. If the target is KO'd by the disease, they must test for defeat. The disease continues to ravage the target until it is removed with cure disease (Good result), dispel magic, or the target dies.

In addition, those who come into close contact with the victim (excepting the priest) must succeed at a Very Easy Strength test or also contract the disease.

Success Levels:
  • Good: The disease deals 12 damage on a failed Strength test.
  • Outstanding: The disease deals 14 damage on a failed Strength test.

Storm of Vengeance (Exemplars of Lightness/Darkness miracle, oTorg Asyle, page 93-4, was called "Storm")
Axiom Level: 16
Skill: Faith 18
DN: Heroic (DN 18)
Range: 1 kilometer
Duration: Concentration

The priest implores a nature deity in their pantheon to smite the target with the fury of the elements. Winds increase, the temperature drops, and heavy rains beat down on the target and for 500 meters around them. The storm does not move. Everyone within the storm has Partial Concealment (-2 to attacks), and staying in the storm for an extended period could cause Fatigue from the cold (see page 136 in Torg Eternity core rulebook).

Success Levels:
  • Good: The priest calls a thunderstorm. Everyone within the storm has Medium Concealment. Lightning will strike the target when the miracle is invoked, and a random target once every 1 BD minutes after, dealing 14 + 1 BD damage.
  • Outstanding: The priest summons a sleet and hail storm. Everyone within the storm has High Concealment, and has to immediately test for Fatigue from the cold if not protected or immune. The hail deals 5 damage each round to all within the storm's bounds.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 am

Spatula wrote:Huh. Now that I'm looking more closely at the older spells & miracles, I'm realizing that in addition to characters having more of them, they're generally much more powerful in oTorg.

oTORG also had some spells/miracles/powers that you'd wonder when you'd ever need it in a game. Like Detect Fish Schools (Pixaud's, p 50)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:48 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:oTORG also had some spells/miracles/powers that you'd wonder when you'd ever need it in a game. Like Detect Fish Schools (Pixaud's, p 50)

Also very true! I was just struck by how many effects had been toned down, for those that showed up in both oTorg and the TorgE rulebook.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:26 pm

jhosmer1 wrote:
Spatula wrote:Huh. Now that I'm looking more closely at the older spells & miracles, I'm realizing that in addition to characters having more of them, they're generally much more powerful in oTorg.

oTORG also had some spells/miracles/powers that you'd wonder when you'd ever need it in a game. Like Detect Fish Schools (Pixaud's, p 50)

Most of those seem to be justifications for certain skill/knowledge combinations. If we accept that divination/aquatic is probably not a combination that most people care about, we can dispense with coming up with spells for them.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am

Rabbitball wrote:If we accept that divination/aquatic is probably not a combination that most people care about, we can dispense with coming up with spells for them.

Detect Torada, on the other hand... ;)

Mind you, in our games, the toradas always seem to attack the covert operative first, so there's not much need for the spell. Just get her to stick her toe in the water...
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 am

Regarding miracles and axioms... people have wondered about high-Spirit miracles that are exclusively for the LL (I count myself among those folks). But the Spirit scale, in terms of effects, kinda tops out around 14 or 16, and everything after that is about what the god(s) can do, or who can access their power. Its nature is different from the Magic or even Tech scale. So maybe we just won't be seeing any 20+ miracles.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:34 pm

There are.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:30 am

A new/old piece of Occultech, designed to fill out that gap for perk-takers who want Zan Slashers but don't want to leave $500 on the table... (from page 100 in the oTorg Tharkold book)

Digan Touchmike (Occultech, $500): Can "hear" through touched walls, windows, etc.

This implant "acts as a microphone picking up vibrations in walls, windows, or other thin barriers, allowing the user to listen in on conversations in adjoining rooms. Inputs can be routed through any auditory implants the user has, enhancing the signals."

-----------------

Incidentally, I just realized that the "Digam" letter/pattern name was changed to "Digan" in T:E - or was it? "Digam" still appears on page 168-9: the Digam Specter aircraft. The occultech section uses Digan, though.

-----------------

Some basic Tharkold weapons taken from oTorg Tharkold page 117...

13/Zan Magnum Pistol (Tech 25, $350): 14 damage, 18 ammo, 10/30/50 range

The 13/Zan Magnum is "a 13mm autoloader delivering a tremendous punch." It loads "caseless ammunition with an integral propellant charge. Instead of a mechanical firing mechanism, it uses an electronic ignition system to fire the bullet. A built-in power cell provides several years of energy for the igniter."

Nu-15 Combat Assault Weapon (Tech 25, $450): 14 damage, 21 ammo, 15/25/35 range, Short Burst

"A combat shotgun, capable of autofire. Murderous in close combat."

Mim-8/Bith Assault Rifle (Tech 25, $700): 14 damage, 48 ammo, 40/80/240 range, Long Burst

The Mim-8/Bith is a fully automatic rifle that utilizes caseless ammo and an electronic ignition system, like most Tharkold firearms.

Thav-5/Mim Minigrenade Launcher w/Aero 30mm Anti-armor Mini-grenades (Tech 25, $2000): 25 damage, 3 ammo, 100/250/500 range, AP 2 or 5 (see below), Short Burst, Small Blast

The Thav-5/Mim is a man-portable launcher that uses the heavy weapons skill to operate. It takes a clip of 3 aerodynamic mini-grenades that can be fired singly or all at once (!).

The Aero 30mm mini-grenade is a "slim, rounded shell with retractable-fin stabilization. The casing, including the fins, are irregularly matrixed ceramics which fragment violently upon detonation." The anti-armor variant has Armor Piercing 5 against targets that are either Very Large or have more than 5 pts of armor, and Armor Piercing 2 otherwise (same as HEAT ammo). The shaped charge gives it a smaller effective blast radius than a regular mini-grenade.

-----------------

One side effect of the compressed damage values is that there's much less space to differentiate items! It appears that a gun that does 15 damage is serious business, so I hesitated to give any of these items that much. The Zan Magnum is noted as having a "tremendous punch", which combined with its small short range, I felt warranted giving it 14 damage. Other automatic pistols (so far, anyway) have 13 damage, and the only other 14s are revolvers. The Nu-15 and Mim-8 basically have more ammo (always useful for autofire weapons) and range over Tech 23 offerings taken from the Tharkold Day One adventure.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”