Spartans in Torg Eternity

JohnK

Re: Spartans in Torg Eternity

Postby JohnK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Hullo, Gargoyle,

Gargoyle wrote:I like good guys DC as a default, I know lots of people don't, and that's ok, but I think they've justified this decision pretty well in other posts.

Truth be told, I can't keep up with all the posts and everything that's been written about stuff in Torg Eternity, so haven't really heard the justification about this. But that's cool, as not everything should come to light or needs to. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

TorgHacker wrote:And that's pretty much why we did it that way.

Truth be told, I've never questioned why it was done, even if I'm not all fond of it. (I guess in a lot of ways that it's one of the modernizations of the game, since it makes things more realistic in solving supposed issues that were there about access to travel and gear in old Torg.) For me, it was always about liking the evil nature of the original Delphi Council and their soldiers, the Spartans.

One always needs an organisation or something of the like that's evil in Core Earth. I guess Storm Break does that in this version of the game, though I'm still not sure of their ethics and motivations yet.
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Kuildeous wrote:<...>It also means I don't have to have the group track money anymore. I can't believe how much we did that in oTorg. This is so much easier.

Yeah, that's something that I have less than fond memories of in the original game. Tracking money was a bit of a hassle, especially given the different currencies in various realms and the like.

Kuildeous wrote:I'm okay with the Delphi Council today. The Spartans are still there; they just have a different name. You have to have the villainous Core Earthers.

Definitely that last point. :)
=====

JohnK

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:29 pm

JohnK wrote:
One always needs an organisation or something of the like that's evil in Core Earth. I guess Storm Break does that in this version of the game, though I'm still not sure of their ethics and motivations yet.

They're the 'ends justify the means' people. They want exactly the same thing that the Delphi Council wants...they're the mirror that Storm Knights can hold up to themselves as a comparison... "You could have been like them."
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Hullo, TorgHacker,

TorgHacker wrote:
JohnK wrote:One always needs an organisation or something of the like that's evil in Core Earth. I guess Storm Break does that in this version of the game, though I'm still not sure of their ethics and motivations yet.

They're the 'ends justify the means' people. They want exactly the same thing that the Delphi Council wants...they're the mirror that Storm Knights can hold up to themselves as a comparison... "You could have been like them."

That actually gives me some ideas on the Storm Break folks and how I want to use them, though one will need to design a decent Stormer opponent for them to face the Storm Knights early on.

Hmmm... are there any plans for publishing material on Storm Break, or is that likely to come if and when the potential Core Earth book comes to light?
=====

JohnK

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:11 pm

JohnK wrote:
Hmmm... are there any plans for publishing material on Storm Break, or is that likely to come if and when the potential Core Earth book comes to light?

Probably that.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Hullo, TorgHacker,

TorgHacker wrote:
JohnK wrote:Hmmm... are there any plans for publishing material on Storm Break, or is that likely to come if and when the potential Core Earth book comes to light?

Probably that.

Hmm, that sounds like it's some time in the future, if you guys do up a Core Earth book at all. I think I'll use the old Spartan game stats from TORG, modifying them for Torg Eternity of course (if I can ever figure out how to do this stuff as math conversions are not my strong suit, oh Mr. Torghacker!) :) as the basis for some of the villain stats for Storm Break.
=====

JohnK

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 pm

It’s definitely going to be coming out eventually. Exactly how I can’t elaborate, at least not yet.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

MadSci

Postby MadSci » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 pm

TorgHacker wrote:It’s definitely going to be coming out eventually. Exactly how I can’t elaborate, at least not yet.

As I recall "The Delphi Council" Sourcebook came after all of the realm books. Seems like the same release pattern is being kept in Eternity as well.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:30 pm

To make the old Spartans really work, you need to have a few things.

1) Edeinos tribes/members that are actively helping Humans to live and are generally nice/peaceful.

2) An understanding of Possibility mechanics to realize that people inside the zone are helping the invaders, even if they don't realize it.

3) Someone in a position of power that's willing to eradicate people who won't leave.

4) A willingness to mow down Edeinos, regardless of if they're friend or foe.

5) Players who're willing to take the fight to the Core Earth forces that are doing bad things (even if the cause is, argueably, just.)

It's not impossible, but it can be tricky.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”