Creating a Romani Character?

JohnK

Creating a Romani Character?

Postby JohnK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Hullo, folks,

Wasn't sure where to put this one, so figured here was as good as any. :)

Has anyone out there had players want to create a Gypsy character (likely from Orrorsh, as that's where they came from in the original game)? I'm asking 'cause one of my players had wanted a character along these lines, though in the end she didn't take it as the other players didn't want to deal with Orrorsh.

So how would you go about creating a Gypsy character for the moment?

Thanks, in advance. :)
=====
"They're High Lords, for God's sake! You can't just walk up to one and say, "How you doing? Feel like dying now?" you know!" - Abraham Horowitz, priest

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Kuildeous

Re: Creating a Romani Character?

Postby Kuildeous » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

JohnK wrote: in the end she didn't take it as the other players didn't want to deal with Orrorsh.

I'm bemused by this. Do the players think that they'll see more Orrorsh adventures by having a character from Orrorsh? This strikes me as a bad reason to decide against a cool character concept. They need to buck up and let that player enjoy herself.

But that being said, I can see this working easily with a Core Earth mystic. Take some divination spells. Much of the stereotypical Romani stuff can be done with the core book (minus the cursing of others, though I would allow her to learn diminish even though it's out of axiom).

Obviously, an Orrorsh Romani has more options. A Core Earth Romani would have to rely on packing some heat, but the Possibility Wars force everyone to carry a heavy burden.
Last edited by Kuildeous on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Atama

Re: Creating a Gypsy Character?

Postby Atama » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Gypsies can be from anywhere. When I lived in the Wichita area there was a sizable Romani (Gypsy) population there.

That’s one of the main traits of the culture. They’re wanderers. Throw a dart at the globe and if it doesn’t hit the ocean or a pole it’s conceivable to have Gypsies there.

Here’s an article about Gypsies in ancient China (they were called “Luoli”):
http://www.china.org.cn/english/culture/143791.htm
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Guys, please don't use the term "Gypsy". It's got a lot of racist baggage attached. The preferred term is Romani.

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:20 pm

sandchigger wrote:Guys, please don't use the term "Gypsy". It's got a lot of racist baggage attached. The preferred term is Romani.

It doesn't have racist baggage so much as it's out and out racist. Sort of like expressing your desire to play a character of Arabic heritage by asking if you can play a "r-----d." Or one of African heritage by asking if you play a "n-" but surely we all have the idea, yes?
Last edited by johntfs on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandchigger

Postby sandchigger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm

johntfs wrote:
sandchigger wrote:Guys, please don't use the term "Gypsy". It's got a lot of racist baggage attached. The preferred term is Romani.

It doesn't have racist baggage so much as it's out and out racist. Sort of like expressing your desire to play a character of Arabic heritage by asking if you can play a "raghead." Or one of African heritage by asking if you play a "n-" but surely we all have the idea, yes?

Yeah... I was trying not to imply any racist intent but...

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:21 pm

sandchigger wrote:
johntfs wrote:

It doesn't have racist baggage so much as it's out and out racist. Sort of like expressing your desire to play a character of Arabic heritage by asking if you can play a "raghead." Or one of African heritage by asking if you play a "n-" but surely we all have the idea, yes?

I didn't know it was considered a slur. TIL.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 pm

Gargoyle wrote:
sandchigger wrote:
johntfs wrote:

Well, now you and everyone else knows differently, and knowing is half the battle as GIJOE put it. Figure the other half of the battle is: Those of you who used the word can now use your Edit functions to turn the "G" word into "Romani" or some-such.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 am

johntfs wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:
sandchigger wrote:

Well, now you and everyone else knows differently, and knowing is half the battle as GIJOE put it. Figure the other half of the battle is: Those of you who used the word can now use your Edit functions to turn the "G" word into "Romani" or some-such.

The other half is red and blue lasers that don't hit anyone!
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:25 am

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”