Crowdproofing: Religions

TorgHacker

Crowdproofing: Religions

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Anyone who is willing to take a look at some text for me who are familiar with various faiths, please let me know.

I'm especially looking for folks who would be familiar with non-Christian faiths, except Buddhism. Already have those covered.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Padre

Re: Crowdproofing: Religions

Postby Padre » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:05 am

Depending on how in depth you need, I can probably help. I've dealt with or have learned about pretty much every major and a few minor religions over the years.

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:47 am

While I can't help in that regard the fact that you're taking the time to give serious thought to how these religions are portrayed is absolutely amazing!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:53 am

Padre wrote:Depending on how in depth you need, I can probably help. I've dealt with or have learned about pretty much every major and a few minor religions over the years.

It's just a high level overview. Basically enough for someone to roleplay a follower of a particular faith.

Essentially I'm looking for:

1. Factual mistakes (with the understanding that different sects do have different beliefs even within religions)
2. Critical elements that I've left out.
3. Things that inadvertently would offend followers.

I'll contact you privately when I'm ready, thanks!
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 am

fougerec wrote:While I can't help in that regard the fact that you're taking the time to give serious thought to how these religions are portrayed is absolutely amazing!

The way I look at it, is that given how important religions are to Torg, it's important to at least have enough detail on Earth's faiths for roleplaying purposes as it is for those that are completely fictional. One may think that, "Well, you can just Google/read it on Wikipedia" but haven't actually DONE that...the different faiths have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more going on that most people think.

I mean I knew that, but I didn't know that. It's really hard to extract the really core things. There really don't seem to be many sites that have a simple, single paged bulletpoint summary of the key elements of a faith. At least not what I can find.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Padre

Postby Padre » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:02 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
fougerec wrote:While I can't help in that regard the fact that you're taking the time to give serious thought to how these religions are portrayed is absolutely amazing!

The way I look at it, is that given how important religions are to Torg, it's important to at least have enough detail on Earth's faiths for roleplaying purposes as it is for those that are completely fictional. One may think that, "Well, you can just Google/read it on Wikipedia" but haven't actually DONE that...the different faiths have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more going on that most people think.

I mean I knew that, but I didn't know that. It's really hard to extract the really core things. There really don't seem to be many sites that have a simple, single paged bulletpoint summary of the key elements of a faith. At least not what I can find.

Deanna, I have a couple things along those lines. Just from a quick Google search, the following two websites seem to have decent summations. If you need more in depth, I can probably provide.

http://www.religionfacts.com/big-religion-chart

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... hOPxEGDj1k

Padre

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:55 pm

A friend of mine has a degree in comparative religions. She told me she'd be interested in helping out. I'll PM you her e-mail address when she sends it to me.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Padre

Postby Padre » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:06 am

TorgHacker wrote:
Padre wrote:Depending on how in depth you need, I can probably help. I've dealt with or have learned about pretty much every major and a few minor religions over the years.

It's just a high level overview. Basically enough for someone to roleplay a follower of a particular faith.

Essentially I'm looking for:

1. Factual mistakes (with the understanding that different sects do have different beliefs even within religions)
2. Critical elements that I've left out.
3. Things that inadvertently would offend followers.

I'll contact you privately when I'm ready, thanks!

Sounds good.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:39 am

As you have not released the NE book yet, I feel I should point out that I have studied the Khemetic faith (I consider myself a Bast devotee) the Norse, Celtic, Greco-Roman (particularly how they differ), Krishna, and some of the Really old ones (not to be confused with the Lovecraftian, which I have also studied).

Send me your questions, because if I try to offer you unsolicited information, you're going to need a bigger book.

Sarren

Postby Sarren » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Not sure if you are counting this as christian or non-christain, but I'm willing to help with Mormanism.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”